Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query, how is sound travelling?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi folks, living in a 3 bed semi d built around 1980's. We hear high level of footfall noise from our neighbours living room when we're in our own living room. I think they have semi solid flooring and have been in the room with them and the sound from footsteps while I was there was minimal. I'm just wondering how sound is being amplified and coming through so loud on our side.

We recently had the parti wall soundproofed and this has "dampened" airborne noise. Previous to this, we also had joists sealed on our side with foam (I now realise something other than foam should have been used but a friend's father did the job as a favour). Builder who did sound proofing reckons that impact noise from neighbours living room may be travelling through chimney breast.

Anybody got any experience of this, could the sound be caused by the neighbours flooring not being laid properly? If so, is there anything that could be done to solve the problem.

Thanks for any help,

Wikey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I came across similar before and it turned out to be the floor screed having been poured as one across the entire base of the two semis. At one point (the kitchen area in the one I saw) the screed was about 10mm higher then the party subwall and just filled right across it. Afterwards it carried all the sound through. This may or may not be the case in your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

maybe the sound is travelling up the cavity as this would not have been fire stopped back then, (maybe you might benefit in two ways from cavity insulation) and as already said if the joist is perpendicular to the party wall, sound may be travelling through along side the joists.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wikey

I came across similar before and it turned out to be the floor screed having been poured as one across the entire base of the two semis. At one point (the kitchen area in the one I saw) the screed was about 10mm higher then the party subwall and just filled right across it. Afterwards it carried all the sound through. This may or may not be the case in your situation.

Thanks for the reply PUT, all help and opinions are very much appreciated. Never thought of this and just wondering if there's a bit more evidence to back it up. The floor in the front double bedroom resembles a hump back bridge and has to be seen to be believed! This seems to have been caused by the party wall and chimney breast not being on the same level. The joists which come out of the party wall are off with the ones which come out of the chimney breast and hence the floor is farcical. Could the screed not being poured level cause the parti and chimney breast being off with each other? I hope I'm describing this adequately.

We will be changing our floor over the next while so just wondering if we could do anything to solve this at that time.

Thanks again,

Wikey

The job I mentioned was solved by cutting a strip out of the full depth of the slab the length of the party wall and grouting back in a 25mm thick perimeter insulation which was topped with the skirting board.

If they are changing the concrete floor you could do the same.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

also, check for the location of wall vents...

one of the biggest stupid constructions i have seen is to have wall vents either side of a party wall. this simply allows sound transfer from both rooms on wither side.... totally negating sound proofing walls. Not very nice when feisty neighbours are getting giggy at 3.00 am...!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Ah - I don,t know syd , take your pleasures where you find them :D

You two, get a room, preferably soundproofed!...:D

House next door is actually rented and has a few interesting characters walk through it's doors, to say the least. We've been privy to full scale brawls,all night parties, along with the fair share of jiggy action, with more than two participants on occasion....we definitely didn't feel left out by the way:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It sounds like you each share a joist.

Is their Living room on a slab or a crawlspace? And what type of Floor underlayment have they?

Overheal wrote: »
    It sounds like you each share a joist.

Is their Living room on a slab or a crawlspace? And what type of Floor underlayment have they?

I really am not sure to be honest, I just presumed it was on a slab and there was no joists involved but could well be crawlspace. Is there anyway of telling? As the house is rented present tenants don't have any info about underlay. Unfortunately due to previous issues, our relationship with the letting agent is tenuous to say the least, and we're really just trying to do as much as we can to solve the issue from our side.

Really appreciate all the info and advice folks. Due our first baby in a few months and really want to try and get it sorted.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    also, check for the location of wall vents...

one of the biggest stupid constructions i have seen is to have wall vents either side of a party wall. this simply allows sound transfer from both rooms on wither side.... totally negating sound proofing walls. Not very nice when feisty neighbours are getting giggy at 3.00 am...!!!

Can't really see a wall vent to be honest. Just seems to be plasterboard around the whole room. Is the chimney breast the only ventilation?

Advertisement