Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca -v- Inter, Champions League Semi-final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

flahavaj wrote: »
    Meh, you shouldn't come out with outlandisgh statements like "this season goes to show a lot of the bigger teams weren't bothered about the CL" if you haven't thought them through. Especially when you'd be the very lad to jump down someones throat if they did the same.;)

Hardly. By the way, I've seen plenty of players cry after matches that when the game was being played they weren't one bit interested, so I wouldn't buy too many crocodile tears anyway.

It's not that outlandish, lets be honest, the English media and the Irish aswell have been saying it for weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm fully aware they beat Barca, but it was more to do with Barcas undoing. Do you think Bayern are a superb side? Or Lyon?

lol @ having class. They are contenders now absolutely, but I don't think the two best teams in Europe are in that final. I don't think either are superb. The Barca that played over those 2 legs weren't superb either, despite being "the betest team on the planet" in other games.

what do bayern or lyon have with tonight's tie ?

here we go now with the excuses, always fu'cking happening, same thing last week too. Inter basically stopped inter playing in the first leg and they knew how barca would play tonight.

jose's inter side are alot better tactically than barca, barca may have awesome players but what's the point when the team your up against knows how to play against you

just admit you wrong, that you criminally underestimated inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Am I right in thinking this Inter side could possibly go on to win a treble yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

THought the red card was very harsh. Hate Sergio, such a little diver and cheat.

Thought Piques goal was offside at first, but realised the guy over at left back kept him on.

My first reaction to the Bojan goal was handball, said it the second it came off Toure. Replays were not conclusive that it did hit his hand though, so I might have been wrong on that. If it did hit has hand (even by accident) I think the ref was right to call the free on it - it is too dangerous a position (and directly resulted in a goal) to not call it.

Was a freaking horrid game to watch. Inter defending deep and lamping it forward from the very first minute, even before Motta was sent off. However, the United - Barcelona semi's two seasons back probably looked just as enjoyable to non United fans as tonights game did, so can't say too much about it. Inter did what they had to do - they defended brilliantly.

Don't know if it shows a rising in Italian football. No other italian team has done well in europe this season. For me it shows Inter are on the rise, not italian football as a whole, or at least that is all tonight/this season shows me.

Headshot wrote: »
    what do bayern or lyon have with tonight's tie ?

here we go now with the excuses, always fu'cking happening, same thing last week too. Inter basically stopped inter playing in the first leg and they knew how barca would play tonight.

jose's inter side are alot better tactically than barca, barca may have awesome players but what's the point when the team your up against knows how to play against you

just admit you wrong, that you criminally underestimated inter

Haha, but excuses is what it is? You said Barca are the best team on the planet yet they lost, so are Inter now suddenly the best?

Bayern and Lyon have to do with it because you're justifying them being superb with getting far in the competition. Bayern are in the final also, are they superb??? It's not rocket science.

You're asking me what's the point of having good players?? I'll admit I criminally didn't see a Barca and Chelsea collapse, Inter haven't changed that much from the side I watched all season tbh.

Just reading through the pages and alot of people are giving out about the disallowed goal, it was handball. If the ball strikes your hand intentionally or unintentionally it is handball, just because he didn't mean to handball it is not an argument, he did handball it end of.

That is not the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

eZe^ wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking this Inter side could possibly go on to win a treble yes?

Bayern can, dunno about Inter though.

edit - yeah think Inter can as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

You are correct, and could be the first time an Italian side has ever done it, if I'm not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Hardly. By the way, I've seen plenty of players cry after matches that when the game was being played they weren't one bit interested, so I wouldn't buy too many crocodile tears anyway.

It's not that outlandish, lets be honest, the English media and the Irish aswell have been saying it for weeks now.

Furious backtracking tbh.

But sure for the craic lets see some links to articles where the "bigger teams not being bothered about the CL" is put forward as a theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Yeah, I just realised after reading Mourinho's interview!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Gowan the Inter! Hated the constant cheating from them though but Barca aren't angles themselves i suppose.

Victor Valdes is one of the biggest idiots i've ever seen. Lost all respect for him tonight, Pity Jose didn't nail him with a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Delighted with the result.

Anyone else hate Johnny Giles as a pundit on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Just reading through the pages and alot of people are giving out about the disallowed goal, it was handball. If the ball strikes your hand intentionally or unintentionally it is handball, just because he didn't mean to handball it is not an argument, he did handball it end of.

Most stupidest statement I have ever heard. The time that ''the defender( Can't remember who kicked it)'' was about less then a second before it hit his hand. The Barca player had no chance to move his hand out of the way therefore a player could intentially kick the ball at a players arm and say ''free kick''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I still call it very very harsh as the hand was across his stomach, the ball was never going to go beyond him. In this scenario, I believe the referee got it wrong, there was no attempt to control the ball with his hand, the ball was punted straight at him.

If it was my discretion, i wouldnt have blown the whistle for that one

Furious backtracking tbh.

But sure for the craic lets see some links to articles where the "bigger teams not being bothered about the CL" is put forward as a theory.

Where have I backtracked? Are you doing your The Sun sensationlist bit by throwing in "You're talking ****e" and "furious backtracking"?

I said a player crying means nothing, but I still meant what I said they were so below par it appeared they weren't too bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nah, sh*tty teams like Hull City et al stick ten behind the ball and hope for the best.

This was different. It was planned to a tee, every one of them knew their role, which blade of grass to cover. They totally nullified the greatest attacking force of the past few decades. And made it look easy.

When they went down to 10 men it made not one jot of difference, each one of them just redoubled his efforts. It was brilliant and every bit as praiseworthy as some of the great attacking displays that Barca have given this season.

Yes Yes Yes Yes

100% agree, great post!!

Haha, but excuses is what it is? You said Barca are the best team on the planet yet they lost, so are Inter now suddenly the best?

Bayern and Lyon have to do with it because you're justifying them being superb with getting far in the competition. Bayern are in the final also, are they superb??? It's not rocket science.

lol

whoosh

this inter team is one of the best iv seen for quite along time, but getting back to my main point before you try to weasel out of it
    Well, plenty of people in fact are claiming they are in their alongside Man. United and Barca as clear favs. I just happen to disagree.

Most definitely the best team in Serie A, sign of the times of Italian league. After both those derbies and the clear gulf, Milan can now win and go ahead?

I mean, to me this all just a sideshow anyway, I'm judging by actually watching them play above all else. Even when they were beating teams and playing at their best in the Serie A, for me, wouldn't have touched United or Barca. But of course, anomalies can happen but I think watching them shows a gulf and leaves them far away from being CL winning material.

so a team in italy wouldnt touch barca, what was the score in italy?
    inter totally deserved to win the first leg and were the better team
    Yep. Hillarious at the certain Serie A experts round here sucking Joses knob cause he beat a shockingingly bad Chelsea in the CL, saying they now are real contenders for the CL

ush im afraid they are contenders and beaten your team, im sorry it sucks, you always have lyon....oh wait

Dempsey wrote: »
    I still call it very very harsh as the hand was across his stomach, the ball was never going to go beyond him. In this scenario, I believe the referee got it wrong, there was no attempt to control the ball with his hand, the ball was punted straight at him.

If it was my discretion, i wouldnt have blown the whistle for that one

I'd have blown the whistle on it.

It resulted directly in a goal that would have sent Inter out. Had it been on the half way line, maybe I'd have let it go - but it was basically an assist for a decisive goal. It is unfortunate, but i do think it was the right call in the circumstances.

Had it been allowed I would also have understood it, but I do agree with it being called.

Where have I backtracked? Are you doing your The The Sun sensationlist bit by throwing in "You're talking ****e" and "furious backtracking"?

I said a player crying means nothing, but I still meant what I said they were so below par it appeared they weren't too bothered.

No you didn't say "appeared."

And even if you had its stupid thing to say.

Playing poorly /= not being bothered no matter how you dress it up, or even not appearing bothered.

And I wouldn't normally say to some one they're talking sh*te, but on this occasion you are plainly.

Dig up any of this stuff from the media yet that backs up your statement btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just gotta say its amazing how a football match thread can stay intelligent for the most part when none of the big EPL teams were playing.

• Advertisement

lol

whoosh

this inter team is one of the best iv seen for quite along time, but getting back to my main point before you try to weasel out of it

so a team in italy wouldnt touch barca, what was the score in italy?
    inter totally deserved to win the first leg and were the better team

ush im afraid they are contenders and beaten your team, im sorry it sucks, you always have lyon....oh wait

Yeah, I still stand by what I said? What are you on about? I said anomalies can happen, that's what I saw happen with Chelsea and Barca. A collapse.

Barca aren't my team, and lmao, I do believe Lyon made it further than United but yeah, GOOD one!:D

Inter > Barca.

The End.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

x PyRo wrote: »
    Inter > Barca.

The End.

But Barca are the best team in the world? :pac:

No you didn't say "appeared."

And even if you had its stupid thing to say.

Playing poorly /= not being bothered no matter how you dress it up, or even not appearing bothered.

And I wouldn't normally say to some one they're talking sh*te, but on this occasion you are plainly.

Dig up any of this stuff from the media yet that backs up your statement btw?

Okay, are you just trying to be really thick? Playing poorly may not mean they weren't bothered, but to my eyes, they didn't look too pushed. Can you provide me with proof they were pushed on the adverse side? Because players in tears doesn't prove anything.

Lmao, all you do is just jump into debates and say things like "talking ****e".

Hardly need links and aren't bothered. The RTE panel said it and the Sky Sports. Bill said it on RTE and they agreed and Souness said it on Sky and was agreed with, they all believe the quality of the CL this year is poor and the EPL sides, namely Man U an Chelsea will be thinkig how are they out. Read up on it, "for the craic".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Inter > Barca.

The End.

Not quite, we've still a final to get through. ;)

Because players in tears doesn't prove anything.

Proves they care

Edit: Im not saying the players that didn't cry don't care.

Proves they care

No it doesn't.

Getting nicely way off the point also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

United were 3 nil up within the first half hour if I'm not wrong. I mean aside from other characteristics Bayern and United showed after that, including a sending off, does that not tell you something of the quality of this years CL?
    Yeah the quality is a fairly crap this year. I think i've said as much previously. Bayern have a shockin bad defence. United have a shocking bad midfield. And Lyon and Bordouex are not particularly good French teams (compared to other years). Inter and Barcelona have been the only two that have struck me as worthy making a final compared to most years. But all this doesn't suggest that the big teams weren't pushed about it. United, for one, did not under perform - they have been stutterring in midfield all year and the Bayern result was just a confirmation of their problems. They also drew 0-0 with Blackburn - were they not bothered about that either?
    Yeah, you can Jose did alot but you're saying Barca weren't languid? Ibra up front? Keita? Passing from Busquets? They played painfully slow and it became EASY to defend. They began running abit in the last 3 mintues, apart from that the only player hungry looked to be Pique. Truely a languid display if I ever there was one.
    Ibra was shìte alright. Keita was was meh. Busquets passing is always crap imho, i have never seen anything to justify the high regard that people have of him.

The thing about Barcelona's style is that when playing a deep lying defensive team they are very very patient, so they can look like they're not interested even when they are really dying to win. There's absolutely nothing different, in terms of energy levels, between this year's semi final second leg loss and last year's second leg win.
    Also in the first leg, Inter put in a brilliant defensive counter attacking performance. Inter defended differently (higher up the pitch) and Jose worked out how to tear Barca's dodgey defence apart. Barca were still an offside goal and a bad penalty turn down away from what would have been a great away result.

To sum up: overall quality this year - poor; commitment of the losing semifinalists - as much as normal.

No it doesn't.

Getting nicely way off the point also.

You said Barca not caring etc etc.

You think they cried because they thought to themselves '' Ah **** it, the camaras on us lets cry and pretend we care when we really don't give a rats''

Barca played the same type of football they always play, patiently. After the goal they pushed on even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's a poor Champions League this year.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I still stand by what I said? What are you on about? I said anomalies can happen, that's what I saw happen with Chelsea and Barca. A collapse.

Barca aren't my team, and lmao, I do believe Lyon made it further than United but yeah, GOOD one!:D

god it seems to me you cream your self over barca but if im wrong im wrong

I love the squirming, flinching and trying to weasel out of post your typed

well lets start slow for you
    Well, plenty of people in fact are claiming they are in their alongside Man. United and Barca as clear favs. I just happen to disagree.

Most definitely the best team in Serie A, sign of the times of Italian league. After both those derbies and the clear gulf, Milan can now win and go ahead?

I mean, to me this all just a sideshow anyway, I'm judging by actually watching them play above all else. Even when they were beating teams and playing at their best in the Serie A, for me, wouldn't have touched United or Barca. But of course, anomalies can happen but I think watching them shows a gulf and leaves them far away from being CL winning material

italian team that beaten the ex European champs? is that league that bad, what does that make la-liga (maybe eamo was right)

son you arent watching inter enough or making up bs, i cant decide

anomalies, a nice way to get out of your mistake but im not letting you off

you watch (if i believe what you say...) them and they just beaten barca, but I though you said "far away from winning material" but they've gotten to the cl final ?? so they were CL winning material like I said

you must be been talking out of your hole again

Okay, are you just trying to be really thick? Playing poorly may not mean they weren't bothered, but to my eyes, they didn't look too pushed. Can you provide me with proof they were pushed on the adverse side? Because players in tears doesn't prove anything.

Lmao, all you do is just jump into debates and say things like "talking ****e".

Hardly need links and aren't bothered. The RTE panel said it and the Sky Sports. Bill said it on RTE and they agreed and Souness said it on Sky and was agreed with, they all believe the quality of the CL this year is poor and the EPL sidies, namely Man U an Chelsea will be thinknig how are they out. Read up on it, "for the craic".

First of all, I don't necessarily disagree with you that the quality of the CL this year was poor. But thats not what you're saying, so quoting Bill O' Herlihy and Graeme Sounness (which btw is laughable in itself) as having said so has no relevance to this particular debate.

But I think its rubbish to say that the quality hasn't been as great because the big teams aren't bothered.

Barca were plainly bothered, they were trying to make history and retain the trophy in the ground of their mortal enemies. It meant everything to them FFS!

United were plainly bothered, they rushed Rooney back with a broken foot to play against Bayern!

And at the end of the day if you come out with such a statement as you have then its to you to back it up, which you haven't at all!

Not quite, we've still a final to get through. ;)

In which Barca shall not be participating due to Inter being better than them. :pac:

In which Barca shall not be participating due to Inter being better than them. :pac:

Inter > Barca because they beat them?

Oh well in that case

Burnley> Man United.

/sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Just lookin at the highlights here.
    Am I the only one who would have hooked Sergio in the face instead of just grabbing the back of the neck?

Pro. F wrote: »
    Yeah the quality is a fairly crap this year. I think i've said as much previously. Bayern have a shockin bad defence. United have a shocking bad midfield. And Lyon and Bordouex are not particularly good French teams (compared to other years). Inter and Barcelona have been the only two that have struck me as worthy making a final compared to most years. But all this doesn't suggest that the big teams weren't pushed about it. United, for one, did not under perform - they have been stutterring in midfield all year and the Bayern result was just a confirmation of their problems. They also drew 0-0 with Blackburn - were they not bothered about that either?

Ibra was shìte alright. Keita was was meh. Busquets passing is always crap imho, i have never seen anything to justify the high regard that people have of him.

The thing about Barcelona's style is that when playing a deep lying defensive team they are very very patient, so they can look like they're not interested even when they are really dying to win. There's absolutely nothing different, in terms of energy levels, between this year's semi final second leg loss and last year's second leg win.
    Also in the first leg, Inter put in a brilliant defensive counter attacking performance. Inter defended differently (higher up the pitch) and Jose worked out how to tear Barca's dodgey defence apart. Barca were still an offside goal and a bad penalty turn down away from what would have been a great away result.

To sum up: overall quality this year - poor; commitment of the losing semifinalists - as much as normal.

As I said, they played so badly it APPEARED they weren't bothered, I honestly don't know the players motivations.

I don't agree with you that United weren't underperforming. Do you honestly think then that Bayern and Inter are the best teams in the world? I know they might be in the final, but I don't think they are.

Yes Barca could have been close but I wouldn't bother even making excuses, they were so far from their best they got what they deserved, nothing more, nothing less.

Just lookin at the highlights here.
    Am I the only one who would have hooked Sergio in the face instead of just grabbing the back of the neck?

If I wasn't a Barca fan, aye;)

Inter > Barca because they beat them?

Oh well in that case

Burnley> Man United.

/sigh

You can /sigh all you want. Burnley vs United wasn't over two legs. Oh, and if you want to consider it over the two legs in the Premiership then it was 3-1 on aggregate to United. Bravo on your pointless stat.

It's a poor Champions League this year.

And why's that??

• Advertisement

god it seems to me you cream your self over barca but if im wrong im wrong

I love the squirming, flinching and trying to weasel out of post your typed

well lets start slow for you

italian team that beaten the ex European champs? is that league that bad, what does that make la-liga (maybe eamo was right)

son you arent watching inter enough or making up bs, i cant decide

anomalies, a nice way to get out of your mistake but im not letting you off

you watch (if i believe what you say...) them and they just beaten barca, but I though you said "far away from winning material" but they've gotten to the cl final ?? so they were CL winning material like I said

you must be been talking out of your hole again

Where does it leave La Liga? Are you talking out of your hoop? This is the same question you ignored before and the same silly logic behind it! I asked you were Bayern superb? Where does that leave La Liga indeed, hmm, so let me guess, the Serie A is now the best league yeah? Or is it the Bundesliga? lmao.

They aren't far away from cl winning material now, but the material to be CL winning, just got shoddier.

This squirming is your mind! :pac:

You can /sigh all you want. Burnley vs United wasn't over two legs. Oh, and if you want to consider it over the two legs in the Premiership then it was 3-1 on aggregate to United. Bravo on your pointless stat.

So because a team won over 2 legs makes them ''better''? Really? So nobody takes into account consistantsy over the years. Refs calls during the matches. Nobody can be the best week in week out.

First of all, I don't necessarily disagree with you that the quality of the CL this year was poor. But thats not what you're saying, so quoting Bill O' Herlihy and Graeme Sounness (which btw is laughable in itself) as having said so has no relevance to this particular debate.

But I think its rubbish to say that the quality hasn't been as great because the big teams aren't bothered.

Barca were plainly bothered, they were trying to make history and retain the trophy in the ground of their mortal enemies. It meant everything to them FFS!

United were plainly bothered, they rushed Rooney back with a broken foot to play against Bayern!

And at the end of the day if you come out with such a statement as you have then its to you to back it up, which you haven't at all!

*sigh* I really don't know what to say, you asked where it was said in the media, I tell you where and you say it has no relevence.

You also completely ignore the fact that I corrected myself in the original post. Either you're reading too quickly or are totally stupid. Let me know though yeah? Either way.

So because a team won over 2 legs makes them ''better''? Really? So nobody takes into account consistantsy over the years. Refs calls during the matches. Nobody can be the best week in week out.

Well i think Inter are better. They've finally got a manager that takes them to the level they should be at. The defend properly, attack great also. Barca are amazing going forward but when a team shuts up shop against them they're not so good in my opinion. Inter were more effective over the two legs, and if they met again under the same circumstances i'd back Inter again to win over two legs. That's just my opinion, you're entitled to your own.

On the Refs, They're a joke now. Ruining football. Last night's red card and tonights proved how comical they are. Plus don't get me started on the brain dead linesmen in 99% of games. Especially in the San Siro, Inter had a couple of clear onside runs ruled offside by the linesman which would of put them through on goal one on one. They're a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

can someone stick Giles / Dunphy's comments on youtube ...

*sigh* I really don't know what to say, you asked where it was said in the media, I tell you where and you say it has no relevence.

You also completely ignore the fact that I corrected myself in the original post. Either you're reading too quickly or are totally stupid. Let me know though yeah? Either way.

Nah done with you now, I only have so many ways I can show your statement to be wrong tbh.

LOL at the childish insults btw, cheers.

Regardless of you correcting your original post, you continued to argue the same ridiculous point over and over, so I don't think my reading or inteligence are whats at fault yanno?;)

Original post just to show what you said again for clarity.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65634718&postcount=744
    I think what was really proven was that alot of teams weren't hugely bothered about this years CL. Certain posters wrote off Bayern when they played United. This was the year of the underdog. Inter have few outstanding players but hard work beat a languid looking Barca over 2 legs.

Night night.

xx

• Advertisement

I'd have blown the whistle on it.

It resulted directly in a goal that would have sent Inter out. Had it been on the half way line, maybe I'd have let it go - but it was basically an assist for a decisive goal. It is unfortunate, but i do think it was the right call in the circumstances.

Had it been allowed I would also have understood it, but I do agree with it being called.

But if he's hand wasnt there, where was the ball going to go?

Well i think Inter are better. They've finally got a manager that takes them to the level they should be at. The defend properly, attack great also. Barca are amazing going forward but when a team shuts up shop against them they're not so good in my opinion. Inter were more effective over the two legs, and if they met again under the same circumstances i'd back Inter again to win over two legs. That's just my opinion, you're entitled to your own.

On the Refs, They're a joke now. Ruining football. Last night's red card and tonights proved how comical they are. Plus don't get me started on the brain dead linesmen in 99% of games. Especially in the San Siro, Inter had a couple of clear onside runs ruled offside by the linesman which would of put them through on goal one on one. They're a joke.

+1 for a good post mate. I do disagree that Inter would win again however, but I understand where your coming from and respect it:D

Proberly the same place as it was about to ricashey(Can't spell it) off his stomach, maybe with less force but we'll never know

Maybe not directly to his foot. It may have hit his stomach but still bounced away from goal. The way in which the ball dropped was effected by the 'fact' it hit his hand. (i'm not entirely sure that it did hit his hand, but for the sake of this argument...)

Maybe not directly to his foot. It may have hit his stomach but still bounced away from goal. The way in which the ball dropped was effected by the 'fact' it hit his hand. (i'm not entirely sure that it did hit his hand, but for the sake of this argument...)

It hit his hand mate

• Advertisement
Advertisement