Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca -v- Inter, Champions League Semi-final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

See Joses post match conference? He actually turned into Eric Cantona.

Apart from that said he won't ever coach Barcelona, now there's a shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

lol at them switching the sprinklers on, how very petty of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Just watched Busquets again from last night,man he made himself to look like a sissy.I wouldnt mind if he had a good game so his theatrics could be forgotten but no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Ush1 wrote: »

Apart from that said he won't ever coach Barcelona, now there's a shocker.

Why would Barca want someone who only coaches his negative brand of football anyway?

Jose is laughable, he mouthed off about Barca being 'obsessed', when in fairness he seems the only one who is obsessed with Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Headshot wrote: »
    Wow

Why?

What's the "wow" for!?

:confused:

I think its just La Liga in general though. Serious lack of atmosphere. And then last night summed it up for me... "Okay lads, we lost a match, now lets attack the oppositions manager by throwing stuff at him". Awful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

karma_ wrote: »
    Why would Barca want someone who only coaches his negative brand of football anyway?

How the hell is his brand of football negative? :D

Sizzler wrote: »
    Not one Italian in Inter's side last night, yet Giles and Co. kept banging on about how the Italians are brilliant at defending :rolleyes:

It's the Italian mentality. Sacchi said that teams in the past that came to play in Italy would suddenly start playing the Italian way, it happens. Also having Baresi as assistant manager might explain why they're pretty damn good at defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Wow

Why?

Smug and self-righteous about their 'brand' of football, bordering on snobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I think its just La Liga in general though. Serious lack of atmosphere. And then last night summed it up for me... "Okay lads, we lost a match, now lets attack the oppositions manager by throwing stuff at him". Awful.

Your kidding right?

Nou Camp atmosphere can be pants at times though.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    Your kidding right?

No. :confused:

Nou Camp atmosphere can be pants at times though.

As it can in any stadium but La Liga as a whole has an amazing atmosphere. I've never seen anything like it the noise the crowd can make. The Camp Nou was deafening at times last night.

That's why I said 'at times'. Obviously going to up it for a semi-final.

Smug and self-righteous about their 'brand' of football, bordering on snobby

Honestly never seen that from any Barca fans. They may be assured of what their team is capable of, but I've never heard any being very smug about the football they play. You could same the same for Arsenal in England but I don't think the fans go on about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What's the "wow" for!?

:confused:

the wow is for that you are generalising(spelling?) barca fans

i respect your opinion but their not all awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

5mx5f.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

That's why I said 'at times'. Obviously going to up it for a semi-final.

As opposed to what - Serie A grounds half-empty and lifeless practically all of the time. If Mourinho said he would never coach Barca, that is laughable. Barca would never have him as coach - his style is negative in the extreme. Barca are more than a club - they would never sell their "brand" of football for anything and that is what makes them the greatest club in the world.

It's the Italian mentality. Sacchi said that teams in the past that came to play in Italy would suddenly start playing the Italian way, it happens. Also having Baresi as assistant manager might explain why they're pretty damn good at defending.

South Americans, if properly trained are the best defenders in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

Warper wrote: »
    As opposed to what - Serie A grounds half-empty and lifeless practically all of the time.
    The half empty bit I would agree with but lifeless no, if you are in the curvas in Italy then, imo, there is no better place in the world to watch football and the atmosphere is amazing.

dor83 wrote: »
    The half empty bit I would agree with but lifeless no, if you are in the curvas in Italy then, imo, there is no better place in the world to watch football and the atmosphere is amazing.

Fair enough I accept your point of view - I dont know as I have never been to a Serie A match.

• Advertisement

As opposed to what - Serie A grounds half-empty and lifeless practically all of the time. If Mourinho said he would never coach Barca, that is laughable. Barca would never have him as coach - his style is negative in the extreme. Barca are more than a club - they would never sell their "brand" of football for anything and that is what makes them the greatest club in the world.

Not sure why you're mentioning Serie A as I was talking about the Nou Camp. Anyways.

How is Mourinho's style negative? Just because of the game last night? :D

And they're not the greatest club in the world, sorry.

South Americans, if properly trained are the best defenders in the world.

This is a bizarre statement :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

You might want to put the words "Head Coach" in there

Mourinho was a coach there under Van Gaal

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

5mx5f.gif

:D

Inter did what they had to do last night. Fair play and all the best in the final. Barca had no plan B but they almost got away with it. Subs by Guardiola didn't help.

Still no extra time in the CL this year. :pac:

This is a bizarre statement :D

Youre right, I think im still hungover - just looking at that statement is curious - just ignore all my posts this morning.

BTW Im going for 1-0 Inter in the final, goal in the first half and every man behind the ball in the second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Ush1 wrote: »
    As it can in any stadium but La Liga as a whole has an amazing atmosphere. I've never seen anything like it the noise the crowd can make. The Camp Nou was deafening at times last night.

I always thought that with a few exceptions such as Sporting Gijon and Atletico Madrid, La Liga was known to have a fairly flat atmosphere at most matches. I've never been to a La Liga match, though I have been to both Barca and Madrid CL matches and a good few Salamanca matches, and the atmosphere was nothing special.

Obviously last night's atmosphere was unreal, but under the circumstances it's to be expected.

On the whole Mourinho thing at the end, I think he was trying to celebrate in front of the Inter fans, only problem is that the away fans in the Camp Nou are closer to the sky than to the pitch, so he would have been directly in front of the Barcelona fans who sit underneath the away section. Still doesn't condone what happened though.

He also came in for a lot of abuse during the match, I'm pretty sure I heard a chant normally reserved for Ronaldo, "Eso portugues, hijo de puta es" (This Portuguese is a son of a whore) directed at Mourinho, so even if he had celebrated in front of the Barca fans on purpose it could almost be justified.

carlop wrote: »
    I always thought that with a few exceptions such as Sporting Gijon and Atletico Madrid, La Liga was known to have a fairly flat atmosphere at most matches. I've never been to a La Liga match, though I have been to both Barca and Madrid CL matches and a good few Salamanca matches, and the atmosphere was nothing special.

I've been at Barca games against Villareal, Depor, Bremen, etc.. And the atmosphere has always been great. I was at a Sevilla game also and the fans at the Sanchez Pizjuan are fantastic.

the wow is for that you are generalising(spelling?) barca fans

i respect your opinion but their not all awful

Generalising football fans isn't a "wow-ish" statement to make btw. Happens all the time. Sure arn't all St Pats fans junkies? :)

Yeah, I realise that every Barca supporter isn't awful, but I think collectively as a group of supporters, they are. Obviously, that's just my opinion on the matter.

As opposed to what - Serie A grounds half-empty and lifeless practically all of the time.

Ground could be half empty and still have atmosphere. Italian teams, even in lower divisions are quality imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

carlop wrote: »
    I always thought that with a few exceptions such as Sporting Gijon and Atletico Madrid, La Liga was known to have a fairly flat atmosphere at most matches.
    I've been to a fair few La Liga games and it really depends on where you are. Real fans are crap. With Atleti games, it depends, though most of the time they make good noise.

If you want better atmosphere in Spain, you should to lower league games where the hardcore fans are a larger percentage. Rayo Vallecano have the best atmosphere of games I've been to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Nou Camp was absolutely electric last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Real fans are crap. .
    Depends on what game. One against Valencia just before Christmas over a year ago, when they lay 6th or 7th in the league alongside their opponents, was perhaps the best atmosphere I've ever been to, right up there with the best of Boca, River and Newcastle, the other stadiums I've frequented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

jacool wrote: »
    When boards.ie announce the "generalisation post of the year" this is the one that I'll be voting for! Unless of course you know all the supporters, in which case I am perhaps wrong!

Have you ever been to Barcelona? If not then you wouldn't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Had to laugh at the hypocrisy of Dunphy and Giles last night. Few years ago when Liverpool done the very same thing as Inter last night, only we actually did create chances in the game, they absolutely slated Rafa, it was the fixture that prompted Dunphy to call Gerrard a "nothing player".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

el dude wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the hypocrisy of Dunphy and Giles last night. Few years ago when Liverpool done the very same thing as Inter last night, only we actually did create chances in the game, they absolutely slated Rafa, it was the fixture that prompted Dunphy to call Gerrard a "nothing player".

Outstanding Point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This superior Barcelona "more than a club" thing pisses me off

I must admit i was delighted when they lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

You do know that the whole "Més que un Club" thing springs from the repression Catalan language and culture suffered under Franco, right?

Supporting FCB came to be associated with expressing support for Catalan language and culture. For example, the stadium became one of the few places where you could speak Catalan in public without fear of legal sanction (only because there would be too many to arrest.)

Yes, it can seem all a bit sanctimonious and holier-than-thou, but it's not that long ago.

And say what you like about FCB, but I like a club that's owned by its members, and not by a bunch of American knobwads who see 'soccer' solely as a means to milk a quick buck. That FCB also happen to play some of the most attractive football in Europe is a bonus :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

turly wrote: »
    You do know that the whole "Més que un Club" thing springs from the repression Catalan language and culture suffered under Franco, right?

Supporting FCB came to be associated with expressing support for Catalan language and culture. For example, the stadium became one of the few places where you could speak Catalan in public without fear of legal sanction (only because there would be too many to arrest.)

Yes, it can seem all a bit sanctimonious and holier-than-thou, but it's not that long ago.

And say what you like about FCB, but I like a club that's owned by its members, and not by a bunch of American knobwads who see 'soccer' solely as a means to milk a quick buck. That FCB also happen to play some of the most attractive football in Europe is a bonus :)

You are dead right...the Americans would be far too cheap to give the Inter players a free shower on the pitch after the match courtesy of the sprinklers
    :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

naughtb4 wrote: »

You clearly don't understand was 'mes que un club' means so. It's nothing to do with how Barcelona think they go about everything in the 'right' way, or are superior to other clubs in any footballing aspect. It was because in the past F.C Barcelona was the only Catalan vehicle people could openly support during Franco's Fascist regime without having to worry about their safety.

Any supporter that tries to use the 'mes que un club' motto to imply any sort of footballing dominance or superiority over other clubs/ fans doesn't understand it's meaning. Barcelona were much more than a football team in the past, they were/ are a key symbol for a national identity. Too many people nowadays think the motto is meant to imply that Barcelona approach all footballing matters in an angelic manner, that's far from the truth.

eZe^ wrote: »
    You clearly don't understand was 'mes que un club' means so. It's nothing to do with how Barcelona think they go about everything in the 'right' way, or are superior to other clubs in any footballing aspect. It was because in the past F.C Barcelona was the only Catalan vehicle people could openly support during Franco's Fascist regime without having to worry about their safety.

Any supporter that tries to use the 'mes que un club' motto to imply any sort of footballing dominance or superiority over other clubs/ fans doesn't understand it's meaning. Barcelona were much more than a football team in the past, they were/ are a key symbol for a national identity. Too many people nowadays think the motto is meant to imply that Barcelona approach all footballing matters in an angelic manner, that's far from the truth.

I am aware of what it stands for and in that regards there is no problem.
    It is the second way of looking at things (the wrong way as you pointed out) that annoys me.

In fairness this is mostly a media thing. A comment of "only one club in the world would have a charity sponsoring them like this" was made the other night, and while admirable, what about Villa?

Also i am Espanyol are my Spanish team so i wont be won over regarding Barca ;)

• Advertisement

Jealousy - you are probably another EPL fanboy that just cant bear being inferior.

I still can't believe Messi wasn't played on the right.

Jealousy - you are probably another EPL fanboy that just cant bear being inferior.

I still can't believe Messi wasn't played on the right.

Or i watch more of La Liga than the EPL :D

As mentioned Espanyol are my Spanish team so of course jealousy comes into it.

Despite Inter not playing great football, a German-Italian final is good for football

Or i watch more of La Liga than the EPL :D

As mentioned Espanyol are my Spanish team so of course jealousy comes into it.

Despite Inter not playing great football, a German-Italian final is good for football

I agree here. It was also good seeing a French team getting to the semi. Domination by 1 or 2 leagues gets repetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

turly wrote: »

And ?

- This political crap doesn't belong in football .. Franco is dead 35 years ...
    GET OVER IT ...

I may add that the catalans are now doing the same with restricting the Spanish language with kids in schools,
    they get f*cked out of it if they speak Spanish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

the_monkey wrote: »
    And ?

GET OVER IT ...

I may add that the catalans are now doing the same with restricting the Spanish language with kids in schools,

Whatever about different clubs etc. I have one friend who's kids are in school in Barcelona and they learn both spanish and catalan. I have been to Barcelona loads of time and have friends who live there, they have mentioned nothing about a repression of spanish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I haven't read the thread since Wednesday, but is it true as reported in Football Weekly that Mourinho said part of the high Barca possession was that Inter were giving the ball away so as to not give away defensive position?

If true, that is incredible. Lack of self-belief, ambition and iniative for professional footballers paid so much. I mean teams pack the defence regularly at Barcelona, but to prefer to give the ball away than lose position or no faith in letting Sneijder/Eto'o/Milito attack or even passing between the defenders is astonishing. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

And ?

GET OVER IT ...

Fail. As a child I lived in Barcelona for a short time and learned both Castilian and Catalan in school... The fact that you are likening Catalan's desire to speak their own language over Spanish to a fcuking dictator who murdered innocent people for speaking what they saw as their own language proves that you are completely biased and clueless on the subject.

Also, 'mes que un club' is Barca's club motto? You want them to 'get over it' and change their motto because it originated too long ago for your liking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

And ?

GET OVER IT ...

Err, sorry, I was explaining the origins of "Més que un club".
    But go ahead and shout anyway if it makes you feel better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dfx- wrote: »
    I haven't read the thread since Wednesday, but is it true as reported in Football Weekly that Mourinho said part of the high Barca possession was that Inter were giving the ball away so as to not give away defensive position?

If true, that is incredible. Lack of self-belief, ambition and iniative for professional footballers paid so much. I mean teams pack the defence regularly at Barcelona, but to prefer to give the ball away than lose position or no faith in letting Sneijder/Eto'o/Milito attack or even passing between the defenders is astonishing. :eek:

Eh but they won? That's all that matters at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People's ignorance of history never ceases to amaze me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement