Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca -v- Inter, Champions League Semi-final 2nd Leg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I think they will approach this the same way they did at Stamford Bridge. They had a vice-like grip on that game. I can't ever remember Chelsea in the last five years not creating opportunities at home but Inter kept them quiet.

Sure Chelsea are no Barca but the same principle applies. The longer it goes on scoreless the more it plays into Mourinho's & Inter's hands, catching them on the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

gimmick wrote: »

I really really hope he starts Toure tonight, either instead of Keita (who has been very ineffective in recent weeks), or preferably instead of Busquets who I have lost all faith in recently.

Busquets has made me so angry this year. Yaya is consistently reliable compared to Keita so I'd start him too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

2- 1 Barca IMO.

Inter toscore first and stun Barca in to a reply but Jose and Inter will not lose this game ffrom a 3 - 1 1st leg lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Busquets has made me so angry this year. Yaya is consistently reliable compared to Keita so I'd start him too

Thats a good way of putting it actually. I think he gives away silly fouls, is liable to pick up stupid cards - a lá his stupid one last week and indeed his daft red agianst Real earlier in the season.

But he will start, of that there is no doubt. Thing is, I like him as a player. He just needs to mature a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Champions league winner coming from this match. Inter park the bus as well as anyone so I can't look past them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

seriously, anyone but Mourinho's Inter, and i'd fancy Barca to do what's needed.

i hate the fact he's so good, but the fact is, he is.

he'll get them so frighteningly up for this, i'd hazard a guess that many of them would rather lose limbs than go out.

i'm going 2-1 Barca, with Inter's goal coming in order to equalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

SlickRic wrote: »
    seriously, anyone but Mourinho's Inter, and i'd fancy Barca to do what's needed.

i hate the fact he's so good, but the fact is, he is.

he'll get them so frighteningly up for this, i'd hazard a guess that many of them would rather lose limbs than go out.

i'm going 2-1 Barca, with Inter's goal coming in order to equalise.

I think Mourinho has more to lose than Barca tonight. If Inter dont get through it will be just like his Chelsea days - so near but yet so far. He has won the CL once with a team that had no pressure on them. He has never reached a second final despite spending the earth at Chelsea to get there. The pressure is on Mourinho tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Warper wrote:
    And if Guardiola pulls it off surely he must go down as one of the best.
    True, but if Mourinho wins the treble for Inter he'll go down as one of the best ever too

None of this is going to happen though. This years campaign has Bayern written all over it. How people still don't see that...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Warper wrote: »
    I think Mourinho has more to lose than Barca tonight. If Inter dont get through it will be just like his Chelsea days - so near but yet so far. He has won the CL once with a team that had no pressure on them. He has never reached a second final despite spending the earth at Chelsea to get there. The pressure is on Mourinho tonight.

While I agree that Mourinho will have the fact that he has had some near misses in the CL somewhere in the back of his mind, I think all the pressure is on Barca here. They have been quite rightly hyped up big time the past 12 months and they're playing for the chance to get to the Bernebeu and sicken their enemies in their own ground. Inter knocking them out over two legs would have been rgarded as a major shcok before a ball was kicked in the first leg, so as the favourites, 2 goals down, the pressure is on Barca even more now.

• Advertisement

Boskowski wrote: »
    None of this is going to happen though. This years campaign has Bayern written all over it. How people still don't see that...?

You hope.;)

Both Inter and Barca are superior teams to Bayern IMO.

Just because Bayern have beaten the odds a few times in previous rounds doesn't mean they have a divine right to the cup.

Just beause United had their name on the cup in 99 doesn't mean Bayern are entitled to the same as "payback" a decade later.:pac:

All the pressure is on Barca IMO.

Mourinho has very little to prove. yes he'd like another Champions League, but it's not expected with Inter. if he gets it, he gets it; it'll just add to his legacy.

Barca want to;

1) Retain the Chmapions League, and be the first to do so.
    2) Do it at the Bernabeu.
    3) Win the Double Double.

on top of this, players like Pique seem to be coming out and hyping up the game beyond even what the media are doing.

all on Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mourinho has very little to prove. yes he'd like another Champions League, but it's not expected with Inter. if he gets it, he gets it; it'll just add to his legacy.

Barca want to;

on top of this, players like Pique seem to be coming out and hyping up the game beyond even what the media are doing.

all on Barca.

Ah hang on, Inter hired Jose for CL success, pressure is indeed on him as that side may not get another chance at a final for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Barca want to;

all on Barca.

I have to disagree with that. Mourinho was brought to Inter to win them the Champions League. If they were happy with the Serie A they would have kept Mancini who won Serie A 3 times with Inter. Even if one was given to them following the scandal!

fair enough lads, i take your point.

i don't think Mourinho really gives a sh*t though.

There is pressure in Jose alright. But there is more on Barca.

• Advertisement

Conversely i would see the pressure being off Barca with the current scoreline. They are not favourites to progress anymore. People expect Inter to shut up shop and watch Barca play in front of them. Inter are now favourites not just for this match, but to win the CL. Thats a pressure in itself.

As I said elsewhere, I am likening Barca to a champion fighter who has been knocked down for the first time but has been saved by the bell at the end of the round. How does he come out - is his confidence shot so bad he no longer believes in himself, or does he go out and prove why he is champ in the first place?

I shall re iterate my prediction Barca 4 - 1 Inter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

c'mon inter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

How any neutral can cheer for Inter and Mourinho is beyond me.

kinaldo wrote: »
    How any neutral can cheer for Inter and Mourinho is beyond me.

Why so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why so?

Barca always try to play nice, attractive, and entertaining football.

Inter are generally dull, defensive and negative, especially by comparison.

Mourinho goes out of his way to be dislikeable, Guardiola is always humble and gracious to the opponent.

Even as a Madridista I can't cheer for Inter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

You hope.;)

Both Inter and Barca are superior teams to Bayern IMO.

Just because Bayern have beaten the odds a few times in previous rounds doesn't mean they have a divine right to the cup.

Just beause United had their name on the cup in 99 doesn't mean Bayern are entitled to the same as "payback" a decade later.:pac:

Yes, I hope and 'No' and don't mean it any way like you described.

What I mean is that everything seems to point towards Bayern this year.

Risen from the dead on the last day of the group stages. Shaky but job done v Fiorentina. Shaky but job done - this time a little more convincing - v United. Job done - this time no shaky bits at all and very convincing - v Lyon.

They're continually improving their performances and are getting the job done while being written off from day one. The writing's on the wall - Bayern Munich Champions League winner 2010.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Barca always try to play nice, attractive, and entertaining football.

Inter are generally dull, defensive and negative, especially by comparison.

Mourinho goes out of his way to be dislikeable, Guardiola is always humble and gracious to the opponent.

Even as a Madridista I can't cheer for Inter.

While I understand the general sentiment and agree to a certain extent, Inter do play some decent football in fairness. Not as nice as Barca, but then again no one does.

Job done - this time no shaky bits at all and very convincing - v Lyon.

To be fair, alot of that would be down to the fact that Lyon were a frigging shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

United fans like Mourinho because there's a chance he'll be managing them in the near future. They also like being the dominant team and so, some would hold a grudge against Barca simply because they have been better than them for quite some time.

This may not be the case with the lads above but, it certainly is with some of the lads I know!

Yes, I hope and 'No' and don't mean it any way like you described.

What I mean is that everything seems to point towards Bayern this year.

Risen from the dead on the last day of the group stages. Shaky but job done v Fiorentina. Shaky but job done - this time a little more convincing - v United. Job done - this time no shaky bits at all and very convincing - v Lyon.

They're continually improving their performances and are getting the job done while being written off from day one. The writing's on the wall - Bayern Munich Champions League winner 2010.

You could just as easily make a case for everything pointing to a Barca or Inter win in the competition too tbh.

If Barca blow Inter off the field they'll have secured a place in a final in their enemies' ground, something they've absolutely craved from the first moment a ball was kicked in the season. And will have done so playing some of the best football the Cl has ever seen.

Their fans will say "Name on the trophy," too. Just like you do about your team.

And if Inter do it tonight you could just as easily say they have, like Bayern steadily improved throughout the season, from a shaky start. They'll have come through by far the harder side of the draw, getting better and better every round.

I'm sure their fans will say, "Name on the trophy" too. Just like you do about your team.

I do see where you're coming from and why you would say it, being a Bayern fan. But you will have to admit to being a little biased (understandably so) in the matter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

jasonorr wrote: »
    United fans like Mourinho because there's a chance he'll be managing them in the near future. They also like being the dominant team and so, some would hold a grudge against Barca simply because they have been better than them for quite some time.

This may not be the case with the lads above but, it certainly is with some of the lads I know!

I despise Mourinho from his time at Chelsea. Such an ignorant, pompous man. He would actually suit Real Madrid down to the ground come to think of it. Hope to god he heads there and not old trafford. Hunter said on Revista that talks are at an advanced stage so lets pray.

I want Barca to win it. I just love watching them play. They're too good to watch to hold any petty bitterness towards to be perfectly honest. They destroyed United in the CL final but it got to the stage where I just had to watch in admiration at the way the played rather than be too upset about it. I've never had a problem losing to the best, especially with their attitude to the game.

But I'm also a massive admirer of Jose it has to be said. I'd be ecstatic if was the next United manager. Putting this Barca side out would be some some achievement.

I want Barca to win it. I just love watching them play. They're too good to watch to hold any petty bitterness towards to be perfectly honest. They destroyed United in the CL final but it got to the stage where I just had to watch in admiration at the way the played rather than be too upset about it. I've never had a problem losing to the best, especially with their attitude to the game.

But I'm also a massive admirer of Jose it has to be said. I'd be ecstatic if was the next United manager. Putting this Barca side out would be some some achievement.

I agree with that but, if they do it was a case of job 75% done in the first leg which is where he should be applauded...unless they produce a similar display tonight!

well the reason I want inter to win is because of player like zanetti, lucio and Sneijder

plus they havent won the Cl for like 40yrs iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Inter to win with a draw tonight.

• Advertisement

^^ I would have though "Inter to progress with a draw" would have made alot more sense?

Headshot wrote: »
    well the reason I want inter to win is because of player like zanetti, lucio and Sneijder

plus they havent won the Cl for like 40yrs iirc

Ah I think you have it in for Barca a small small bit as well HS.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

gimmick wrote: »
    ^^ I would have though "Inter to progress with a draw" would have made alot more sense?

I prefer winning with a draw.

rofl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I want Inter to win so that I can look at Jose Mourinho on the telly for one more match.

:D

:)
    I honestly dont mate.

mars bar wrote: »
    I want Inter to win so that I can look at Jose Mourinho on the telly for one more match.

:D

Is your husband a fan of football then?:P

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is your husband a fan of football then?:P

Husband?! Haven't got me one of those yet!

But he will have to put up with it whether he likes it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

kinda show's the genius of jose so many pre match, and i'd imagine post match, commentary relates to him as opposed to the team. Amazing at deflecting focus on his players hence allowing the to concentrate fully on match.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I want Inter to win because I want Serie A to keep a high coefficient and retain 4 CL qualifier spots.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I want Inter to win because I want Serie A to keep a high coefficient and retain 4 CL qualifier spots.

Are they close to losing out?

EDIT: Wiki says they only have 3 because they're ranked 4th, is that wrong?

I agree with this - Barca have been superior to the Top teams in England for the past 2 seasons and the EPL "fanboys" generally don't like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Probably updated based on Munich making the final already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I may have to ge up in the small hours for this one.

It said Italy were 4th last year too though!

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »
    I agree with this - Barca have been superior to the Top teams in England for the past 2 seasons and the EPL "fanboys" generally don't like that.

Ugh I hate this "fanboy" thing!

I don't like the fact that Barca are better than the team I support. I don't like the fact that they bet us last year in the CL final.

If you don't like the fact that some other team is doing better than your team, then are you proper fan at all?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It said Italy were 4th last year too though!
    The Germans overtook Italy last night I believe.

This is from another site:

1. England 81.142
    2. Spain 79.043
    3. Germany 64.207
    4. Italy 63.910

The Germans finally took over the third place.

Here are the possible scenarios in which Italy can regain the 3rd place:

1. If Inter lose tonight but still qualify:
    - Inter win in the final (but not on penalties) while Hamburger lose against Fulham.

2. If Inter draw tonight:
    - Inter win in the final (but not on penalties) while Hamburger lose against Fulham.

3. If Inter win tonight:
    - Inter win in the final (no matter how) while Hamburger lose against Fulham
    - Inter win in the final (but not on penalties) while Hamburger qualifies for the final without beating Fulham and then loses the final (but not on penalties).
    - Inter lose the final on penalties, while Hamburger lose against Fulham.

In any other case, Germany will have the 3rd place and 4 CL spots in 2011/2012.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I may have to ge up in the small hours for this one.

With a name like that and a game like this, you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Seaneh wrote: »

This was my thinking too, or at least just wanting to see an Italian side do well after a tough few years, but I really don't like Inter so I think I'll be supporting Barca.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

3 automatic places maybe? 4th place def qualify this year anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement