Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being eligible for a teaching degree

• 25-04-2010 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Sorry, if this should be in leaving cert. but im pretty sure this is the right place.

Anyway im filling out the cao this year and i want to be a teacher. I have arts down in a few places and a few courses for teaching specific subjects. Firstly, im worried i wont get the points for the courses i have down and secondly im worried about which courses will make me eligible for the pgde (or other teaching qualification?) in the future.

So basically im asking if there is anywhere i can find the requirements for pgde course? Or even better if someone knows of a list of cao courses which are part of a path into teaching?

My guidance counsellor hasnt been of any help and my probable LC points will 320-370.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Monotype wrote: »
    Assuming you mean secondary teaching ---

You should put down your preferences in order of what you want to do. Sometimes points can drop, but if you don't have it down, you definitely won't get in. Remember that you will be given the highest on the list that your points satisfy, and you can't choose one further down, if you've been offered a higher one. Subsequent rounds may also offer courses higher on the list.

Here is a word document containing the latest list of what each degree allows you to teach. You would need either a degree on this list with the subject you want to teach or a suitable masters degree later on to be allowed into the PGDE.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/TC_Publications/Autoquals_updated_16th_April_2010_25349894.doc

You can find more information about it here:
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=508

Ya ill definitely be putting my preferred choices at the top with my fingers crossed. Its just id like to have a course that ill be 99% sure of getting into that will allow me to become a teacher. Ill have a look at that list now, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Assuming you mean secondary teaching ---

You should put down your preferences in order of what you want to do. Sometimes points can drop, but if you don't have it down, you definitely won't get in. Remember that you will be given the highest on the list that your points satisfy, and you can't choose one further down, if you've been offered a higher one. Subsequent rounds may also offer courses higher on the list.

Here is a word document containing the latest list of what each degree allows you to teach. You would need either a degree on this list with the subject you want to teach or a suitable masters degree later on to be allowed into the PGDE.
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/TC_Publications/Autoquals_updated_16th_April_2010_25349894.doc

You can find more information about it here:
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=508

Edit: I should also point out that doing a business degrees are usually in surplus, so it can be harder to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

Just a query as regards eligibility for Teaching Council registration.

If you do an undergraduate degree which renders you ineligible (say for example Law, Medicine etc.) for registration, but then follow your undergrad with an MA, would this contribute towards making you eligible?

I'm just asking because the TC website does not seem to offer guidance in this. Thanks in advance for advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Sorry, if this should be in leaving cert. but im pretty sure this is the right place.

Anyway im filling out the cao this year and i want to be a teacher. I have arts down in a few places and a few courses for teaching specific subjects. Firstly, im worried i wont get the points for the courses i have down and secondly im worried about which courses will make me eligible for the pgde (or other teaching qualification?) in the future.

So basically im asking if there is anywhere i can find the requirements for pgde course? Or even better if someone knows of a list of cao courses which are part of a path into teaching?

My guidance counsellor hasnt been of any help and my probable LC points will 320-370.

You will be eligible for the PGDE if at least one of your subjects is a 'teachable' subject, ie: think of the subjects offered in school. Subjects that do not qualify are the likes of anthropology, archaeology, greek and roman civilisation etc..

Your third subject you take up (if thats still the way its done) will not qualify you in teaching that subject. You will only be eligible to teach the subjects you carry to 3rd year.

When PGDE time comes round, you are going to have to do very well in your finals to be accepted. Almost a first is necessary I believe as you can no longer provide teaching hours to get points.

If you do an undergraduate degree which renders you ineligible (say for example Law, Medicine etc.) for registration, but then follow your undergrad with an MA, would this contribute towards making you eligible?

I'm just asking because the TC website does not seem to offer guidance in this. Thanks in advance for advice.

As far as I know the answer to that is no. You would have to go back and do another degree. If you're not eligible to teach a 3rd level subject you didn't carry to 3rd year I can't imagine that you would be allowed to teach ones that you have no experience of at undergrad at all.

However now that I think of it there may be some way around it if the original primary degree is in some way connected to the subject you want to teach, the first example coming to my head being, say, degree in graphic design wanting to be an art teacher or degree in digital media wanting to be a computer teacher.

Anyone able to clear this up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No, has to be a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Just because a degree is not included on the auto-quals list does NOT mean it is not eligible. Degrees make it on to that list if the university pays the TC to assess the degree. There are hundreds of degrees that universities have never thought to have assessed but which are no doubt perfectly eligible for fulfilling the TC criteria. In these situations you submit the info yourself and pay €200. If the TC say yes then you get a cert to say what you can teach but your degree will still not be on the auto-quals list.

For example, of the degrees you mention, I know several qualified doctors who are registered to teach Biology and Science, all from the same university, but their degree will remain unlisted until the university applies for assessment.

On the other hand I can't think of what Law might be eligible for but, then again, I don't know a whole lot about it.

Unfortunately, I don't think the TC consider your masters when deciding what you are eligible to teach. Which is of course ridiculous - but that's for another thread!

Advertisement