Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent Article about Barstoolers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CiaranC wrote: »
    Football fans are the pretty much the same everywhere, they have common experiences. Its the barstoolers here that are the exception. Thats the point being made.
    This is a load of bull.

I'm not one of the barstoolers by the way, I don't go near a pub to watch a match.
    The people that go to pubs and watch football are primarily people that would spend their Saturdays and/or Sundays in a pub anyways, maybe tv soccer has brought more people into the pubs but most of those people would be spending their Saturday and/or Sunday afternoons in the pub if soccer was never invented.

I used to follow the LOI many years ago and for many years too.

The reason people don't go to watch LOI football has to do with a lot of things. The shutting of Glenmalure Park turned a lot of people off the game in this country many years ago, including me and I wasn't a Shamrock Rovers fan but I was disgusted at what happened and the lack of input from the league in that fiasco. Many years later they made Louis Kilcoyne their president which I'm sure turned even more people off the game. Like how disgusting must it have been for diehard Shamrock Rovers fans to see that toe rag made President of the assocation.
    On top of that a different type of 'fan' started turning up in the late eighties, yobs is what they were called by older folk and they grew in numbers at Dublin games. They came to games with plenty of booze on and they isolated many older fans who felt threatened by them. They didn't really cause much trouble but they would shout disgusting abuse at players, not only away players but often one or two from their own team.

I now go to live GAA matches, you don't get that yob element at those games although there are some idiots who think that soccer is evil. I'd liken these guys to you guys who go around attacking people who like to shout for a team of top class internationals playing in one of the most competitive leagues in the world.

If you like the LOI then thats fine but don't come on here attacking people who follow the English Premier League or any other league for that matter. If anything live televised soccer has brought the game to the attention of the masses and possibly even ended up with people going out to experience a LOI game.

The guys in the pub on the barstool would have been more likely to be there anyways than up in Tolka Park or Dalymount or wherever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

No, what I am saying is that Jazzy's lazy argument that there is no cultural or policitcal background to football is inane and there is a wonderful world of football experiences to be had out there if he would extract himself from his armchair. Even pick up a book or two on the matter.

But he isn't interested in that, he just wants to be entertained and for him football rivals pop idol and the soaps. Thats fine, but he shouldn't then deny that the broader experience exists because he has no interest in it.

nope, see.. making stuff up to make others look bad and make yourself feel better - the recurring theme of your arguement.
    think of the Abbey Theatre and all its history, the riots after Playboy of the Western World and stuff like that. Im not stupid enough to deny the fact that there is socio-political links attached to football, but if that is your line in this country, then why arent you out supporting Dublin in GAA? in fact you pretty much hate the GAA from what Ive read before.

Football at its core is a form of entertainment. Due to its popularity across the world though it has become more then that, but that isnt down to what you say, its more a class thing if anything. "gentlemans game played by ruffians" why do the ultras groups tend to be formed out of the areas with the cheapest tickets? It has been something the proletarians can turn into something more then it is, make it more important then it is, to give themselves a sense of identity they wouldnt find anywhere else. why is there so much violence and thuggery associated with football fans, whereas fans of other sports arent nearly as militant?

Now that we are in the 21st century the nature of football is changing, it is becomming more about the sport rather then the identity and about the 'product' more then about where the club is located. the media and broadcasting have a lot to do with this change also, think about streaming on the internet and the like. I myself dont need to use football as an identifier so why would I want to become like you and go to games that arent particularly skillful (in comparison) of a team that I feel no connection with (who is to say I care for what 'area' im in, or for that matter, what country) when I can support a team I do feel a connection with from when I was a kid? I mainly watch the football I do for the tactics, the skill, the ideas and why one team wins and another loses. I appreciate the skill of the game and what makes the best teams just that, the best. Its a very in depth game with a lot going on and just because there is a bunch of people like you going "you're doing it wrong" based on dated ideas that are completely out of touch with modern society, Im not going to stop supporting who I support. I would feel even more plastic and fake if I was to go to a Bray Wanderers game just to try and 'fit in' with what a few people think I should be doing.

If you need to use football as an identifier then so be it. If you are that into your area or whatnot and need a way to make you and where you come from feel more important then the sum of its parts, go for it. but dont try and drag other people down and make them feel like cretins because you guys feel the need to advertise your 'sacrifice' and purposely elevate yourselves to a level where you're a far bigger deal then what you are, because just like us barstoolers, at the end of the day you are just football fans and amazingly, that isnt a big deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Its worrying that that simple point is stoically ignored by some and genuinely not understood by more.

Dont think the situation is Ireland is that simple. We have a strong tradition of good local teams who are well supported. These teams however happen to be playing native games. Lots of so-called barstoolers owe their primary allegiances to these teams . When I watched my local loi team it consisted mostly of english players and blow-ins with one or two locals. The attraction of loi compared to its english or spanish equivalent is low and its also low compared to the local native games - go to a Leinster final or Munster hurling final if you don't believe me. Currently trying to attract people to LOI is probably like trying to get them to go to Mass - yes it can be good for you but its bloody dull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

bullpost wrote: »
    Dont think the situation is Ireland is that simple. We have a strong tradition of good local teams who are well supported. These teams however happen to be playing native games. Lots of so-called barstoolers owe their primary allegiances to these teams . When I watched my local loi team it consisted mostly of english players and blow-ins with one or two locals. The attraction of loi compared to its english or spanish equivalent is low and its also low compared to the local native games - go to a Leinster final or Munster hurling final if you don't believe me. Currently trying to attract people to LOI is probably like trying to get them to go to Mass - yes it can be good for you but its bloody dull.

Sorry to nit pick as you made good point.

But

A Munster final is not comparable with a LOI game.

There a few sporting events in the world to match a Cork vs Tipp. Munster Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

But

There a few sporting events in the world to match a Cork vs Tipp. Munster Final.

True - substitute any championship game or even most league games.
    And now there's top class rugby available as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Thought id pop this article up from Eamon Zayed of Sporting Fingal. A much better article (IMO) than the one the op printed (no offense btw). Eco s my views on the matter anyway.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3352/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought id pop this article up from Eamon Zayed of Sporting Fingal. A much better article (IMO) than the one the op printed (no offense bdw). Eco s my views on the matter anyway.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/3352/
    Interesting stuff about Norway. Good article, I like reading Zayed's stuff.

However I can't see it happening here, quite frankly people have got it into their heads the the league is crap and I can't see that changing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

But

There a few sporting events in the world to match a Cork vs Tipp Waterford Munster Final.

Had to fix a small error.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Jazzy wrote: »
    why would I want to become like you and go to games that arent particularly skillful (in comparison) of a team that I feel no connection with (who is to say I care for what 'area' im in, or for that matter, what country) when I can support a team I do feel a connection with from when I was a kid? I mainly watch the football I do for the tactics, the skill, the ideas and why one team wins and another loses. I appreciate the skill of the game and what makes the best teams just that, the best. Its a very in depth game with a lot going on and just because there is a bunch of people like you going "you're doing it wrong" based on dated ideas that are completely out of touch with modern society, Im not going to stop supporting who I support. I would feel even more plastic and fake if I was to go to a Bray Wanderers game just to try and 'fit in' with what a few people think I should be doing.

Excellent points.

After reading Zayeds article, he is entirely right, theres room for both, but not with the attitude which some of the LoI fans display on this thread.

Both could go hand in hand if the minority of fans lost the small-minded petty high horse non-sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

nope, see.. making stuff up to make others look bad and make yourself feel better - the recurring theme of your arguement.
    think of the Abbey Theatre and all its history, the riots after Playboy of the Western World and stuff like that. Im not stupid enough to deny the fact that there is socio-political links attached to football, but if that is your line in this country, then why arent you out supporting Dublin in GAA? in fact you pretty much hate the GAA from what Ive read before.

Because I think the socio-political links in the Gah are a false narrative and have been hijacked by nutters who see the Gah as more than a sporting organisation. They operate on a British invented county system and it was a tight vote whether they should have played cricket and rugby in abstention or invent gaelic or resurrect and codify hurling.
    Football at its core is a form of entertainment. Due to its popularity across the world though it has become more then that, but that isnt down to what you say, its more a class thing if anything. "gentlemans game played by ruffians" why do the ultras groups tend to be formed out of the areas with the cheapest tickets? It has been something the proletarians can turn into something more then it is, make it more important then it is, to give themselves a sense of identity they wouldnt find anywhere else. why is there so much violence and thuggery associated with football fans, whereas fans of other sports arent nearly as militant?

Says the barstooler. The regular at games says its also a social and tribal thing, which is half the fun.

As for the rest, what possible relevence is that? You are only likely to pop your back reaching for the remote. Don't trouble your head about it.
    Now that we are in the 21st century the nature of football is changing, it is becomming more about the sport rather then the identity and about the 'product' more then about where the club is located. the media and broadcasting have a lot to do with this change also, think about streaming on the internet and the like. I myself dont need to use football as an identifier so why would I want to become like you and go to games that arent particularly skillful (in comparison) of a team that I feel no connection with (who is to say I care for what 'area' im in, or for that matter, what country) when I can support a team I do feel a connection with from when I was a kid? I mainly watch the football I do for the tactics, the skill, the ideas and why one team wins and another loses. I appreciate the skill of the game and what makes the best teams just that, the best. Its a very in depth game with a lot going on and just because there is a bunch of people like you going "you're doing it wrong" based on dated ideas that are completely out of touch with modern society, Im not going to stop supporting who I support. I would feel even more plastic and fake if I was to go to a Bray Wanderers game just to try and 'fit in' with what a few people think I should be doing.

Says you. Most football fans object to this consumerisation of our sport for the benefit of people like you at the expense of the genuine fan.
    If you need to use football as an identifier then so be it. If you are that into your area or whatnot and need a way to make you and where you come from feel more important then the sum of its parts, go for it. but dont try and drag other people down and make them feel like cretins because you guys feel the need to advertise your 'sacrifice' and purposely elevate yourselves to a level where you're a far bigger deal then what you are, because just like us barstoolers, at the end of the day you are just football fans and amazingly, that isnt a big deal

We are dragging you down? :D Píss off back to your armchair will you. The more you spout the more its clear that you will be following rugby or whatever the next bandwagon is next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Interesting stuff about Norway. Good article, I like reading Zayed's stuff.

However I can't see it happening here, quite frankly people have got it into their heads the the league is crap and I can't see that changing.

I agree that it may not happen here to the extent it works in Norway but if it was even half as successful that would be an improvement. Its a better attitude than just plain critising people for not going (Not saying thats you bdw) it wont get them to go and ultimately helps to alienate them more.

Iv been following Fingal for two and a half years now, its been difficult trying to get bums on seats and the club has been doing some great stuff to promote the club. Its frustrating as a Fingal fan seeing the Stadium half empty at times but im not going to sit here and criticise people for not going. What I am thinking is, how can we get more people in, what can the club do that its not doing already to get bums on seats. This has to be the attitude imo. We have to give the locals something worth watching. Thats just the way of it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Because I think the socio-political links in the Gah are a false narrative and have been hijacked by nutters who see the Gah as more than a sporting organisation. They operate on a British invented county system and it was a tight vote whether they should have played cricket and rugby in abstention or invent gaelic or resurrect and codify hurling.

Says the barstooler. The regular at games says its also a social and tribal thing, which is half the fun.

As for the rest, what possible relevence is that? You are only likely to pop your back reaching for the remote. Don't trouble your head about it.

Says you. Most football fans object to this consumerisation of our sport for the benefit of people like you at the expense of the genuine fan.

We are dragging you down? :D Píss off back to your armchair will you. The more you spout the more its clear that you will be following rugby or whatever the next bandwagon is next year.
    Troll.

LOUL. Worst poster on the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Bloody hell, it's gotten feisty in here :eek:

Not gonna poke my nose in but I've always wanted to say

WILL SOMEONE PASS THE POPCORN!!!:D

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOUL. Worst poster on the forum.

Of course I am.

Feel free to point out any innacuracies in that statement. 1888 Hayes Hotel. GAA inagural meeting. Vote as to whether they should play cricket and rugby in isolation from the existing 'British' sides or go with Irish games was taken. It was tight. Gaelic was invented, hurling codified into a field game. To borrow a phrase. Fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Of course I am.

Feel free to point out any innacuracies in that statement. 1888 Hayes Hotel. GAA inagural meeting. Vote as to whether they should play cricket and rugby in isolation from the existing 'British' sides or go with Irish games was taken. It was tight. Gaelic was invented, hurling codified into a field game. To borrow a phrase. Fact.

.....so?

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    .....so?

....so I was called the worst poster on the forum for saying that....

If Jazzy wants to live in a post modernist sporting bubble, let him. Thats his call and I think he is missing out on half the fun of football. But his patronising attitude is very strange. I like films. But I wouldn't go onto a thread on here for cameramen and producers and tell them they are wrong on a subject I have very little knowlege of. Simply because I wouldn't be that arrogant.

....so I was called the worst poster on the forum for saying that....

No, no you weren't.

You were called it on the basis of pretty much everything you've posted and every little attempt at a wind-up you've made in the past 48 hours over a number of threads.

Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Of course I am.

Not true. Source please.

edited to include: you've probably been spouting this 'fact' for ages though, haven't you?

your failure to understand even at a base level what you are doing because you are too blinded by your own need for justification, no scrub that, blinded by your own need to put others down proves a lack of depth, lack of understanding and ultimately, a lack of intelligence.

hahahaha, again a lack of depth. there are certain themes to your posts that are prevalent throughout - depthless & selfserving being 2 of them, assumptions being another but Ill handle that later :)
    think about class structure and how they identify themselves. how all the different classes and subclasses and the individuals within build on their egos. Some might buy expensive watches and go to the best restaurants and clubs, others by their wealth and knowledge on music and the arts, others on sport and physical prowess. in group and gang mentalities, the like you see with ultras, the overwhelming theme is identification - who we are and where we come from and over exemplifying the importance of that, to satisfy their egos, like all humans do.

I didnt say that the over consumerisation and cheesiness and shallowness was something I particularly liked, but I understand it - something you completely fail at, probably to put yourself again at another level then other people because you need it more then they do (noticing the theme yet?)

see? presumptions. bandwagons and the like :) all in an effort to justify in your head how bad I am and how great you are... satisfying your ego. there is no way Im even close to a fad boy or 'bandwagoner' as you probably call them but it suits you to make these accusations or else your arguement wouldnt look that strong. and if you have to add padding to your arguement, then its a very weak one innit?

but sure it doesnt matter does it. because as I said in a previous post, if it wasnt the League of Ireland, I would be 100% positive you would pick up something else just to try and lord over the peons and elevate your own self worth to the unrealistic levels you try to portray here. Its in your nature, which makes any opinions you make completely biased, completely based on assumptions and want rather then fact and accuracy and ultimately leaves them as the weightless ego massaging that they actually are :)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If Jazzy wants to live in a post modernist sporting bubble, let him. Thats his call and I think he is missing out on half the fun of football. But his patronising attitude is very strange. I like films. But I wouldn't go onto a thread on here for cameramen and producers and tell them they are wrong on a subject I have very little knowlege of. Simply because I wouldn't be that arrogant.
    You're seemingly arrogant enough to put attending matches on equal levels of importance as a film producer or cameraman. When it's really the equivalent of being on a guided tour or in a studio audience.

I wonder if, somewhere on the internet, someone at this very moment is complaining about Countdown fans who don't know what a 'real' quiz fan is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

OhNoYouDidn't, what team do you support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Rooney10 wrote: »

Unierah.:pac:

baz2009 wrote: »
    Unierah.:pac:

he asked who he supports, not what he talks out of :pac:

Rooney10 wrote: »

Harlem Globetrotters.

For the entertainment. And cos Dunphy doesn't like them and everything thats on TV is BAD.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Harlem Globetrotters.

For the entertainment. And cos Dunphy doesn't like them and everything thats on TV is BAD.:pac:
    Terrible attempt at humour.

CSF wrote: »

terrible attempt at flaming

CSF wrote: »

Thought 'twas rather good meself, not to mind highly topical, to the hour.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

English clubs didn't do any of this either. It was the glitz of Sky that created that market.

English clubs do now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Well this thread has completely gone to fúck.

OhNoYouDidn't & Co. made some very very good points here IMO. Shame some won't realise that however.

Supporting a football team is not just about the entertainment btw. It's much more than that. For those who know what I'm on about, there's no explanation necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Of course I am.

That is so pedantic. Every sport has an origin. In 1863 when the rules of football were created, I'm sure there were tight decisions made then that might look laughable now. Just because you do not enjoy the sports does not mean you have to pi$$ all over a vital part of Irish culture. So what if they debated other sports. Hurling has existed in Ireland for millenia. I love the GAA and soccer but find rugby boring. Yet I manage not to find rugby fans and belittle a sport they enjoy.

You have made a few decent points about the social and political aspects of football but they are submerged in childish rants designed to show how you, the "knowledgeable and real" football fan know so much. Plenty of others here support the LoI, have a wide knowledge of football history and go to games too. Drunken buffoons with zero-to-basic levels of knowledge who think soccer began in 1992 annoy me too, but not everybody who supports an English team is one.

You are not going to win a debate by belittling your opponent and not listening to the other side of the argument. Every sentence you say is designed to inflame somebody. What is wrong with just letting people like sport however they want? Now anything you say is tainted as you have annoyed the hell out of so many here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ntlbell wrote: »
    How is it any different from an english football fan who doesn't live in england.

e.g. any other country in the world, who enjoys thier weekend watching the footy on the box?

You think it's unique to Ireland?
    No, I dont think its unique to Ireland, when I said "here" I meant in this forum. Sorry, should have been more clear.

The exclusively TV watching fan element is growing in Asia and Africa also, as you say. There are a lot of TV fans in Scandinavia also. The difference being that in these areas, their national leagues still get reasonable attendances and maintain a decent standard. (I was at an Asian Champion League match a couple of weeks back.)

Case in point. Last year I lived with a Dutch lad, he was a "normal" football fan from Europe. mad about his football. Followed his hometown side in the Eerste Divisie, some nomarks whod never won anything. The notion that he might ignore this team and instead follow a team at the top of the table in Germany would be absurd. I mean, even the idea of it would be laughable.
    I was in a pub in london with a group of londoners who were united fans watching the game in the pub who don't travel to old trafford

English barstoolers...

Who would have thunk it :rolleyes:
    Of course there are English plastics and bartsoolers. And they are regarded as total gob****es by proper English football fans, exactly the same as here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

he asked who he supports, not what he talks out of :pac:
    Think he would have had to say Uranus for that joke to work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Football fans go to football matches, people who like football watch it on tv.

Pointless thread and a pointless debate as usual on boards.ie soccer forum always ends in a stupid LOI vs EPL argument.

LOI fans: people who dont go to their own teams games aint gonna go to your teams. So yeah stop asking them bring your kids.

EPL fans: The premiership is a better product and easier to sell on tv. So yeah ummmm enjoy football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i believe its time for a bitta:

we didnt start the flame war:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OhNoYouDidn't & Co. made some very very good points here IMO.

There has been some very intelligent and considered counterpoints made against them though - mainly consisting of sarcastic parodies of one's own untenable position and thanking any post by your mates that does the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

stovelid wrote: »

Your signature - that Rovers man thing - I've asked myself when watching several times but - WTF is that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thought 'twas rather good meself, not to mind highly topical, to the hour.:pac:

Talking sh*te tbh.:)

There has been some very intelligent and considered counterpoints made against them though - mainly consisting of sarcastic parodies of one's own untenable position and thanking any post by your mates that does the same.

My mates? Or "the other shower"? LOL:D

• Advertisement

Or "the other shower"?

:D
    eightyfish wrote: »
    Your signature - that Rovers man thing - I've asked myself when watching several times but - WTF is that??

Shamrock Rovers mascot.

He has a new chant in his honour: "he drinks, he fights, he knows the Bohs are shite - Hooperman". Or at least I think that's what I heard :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dont trust anything a Morrow says, ****ers owe me bulmers years now.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dont trust anything a Morrow says, ****ers owe me bulmers years now.

I'll buy you a pint in Europe, next year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

He has a new chant in his honour: "he drinks, he fights, he knows the Bohs are shite - Hooperman". Or at least I think that's what I heard :)

He has massive hands. You should put him in goal.

eightyfish wrote: »
    He has massive hands. You should put him in goal.

Far too windy on the pitch in Tallaght stadium with that cape. He needs to stay in the shelter of the stand.

nah, I pretty much owned ohnoyoudidnt. well, i think he more owned himself by not being able to put up any decent counterpoints and instead he resulted to presumptions and bitterness.. as is his nature :)

CiaranC is quite clever though.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Football fans go to football matches, people who like football watch it on tv.

Well put. But Jazzy will be along in a second to tell us that football stadiums don't exist anymore because they don't impact on his post moderen bubble and the only matches played in the 21st century are those on his telly.

nah, I pretty much owned ohnoyoudidnt. well, i think he more owned himself by not being able to put up any decent counterpoints and instead he resulted to presumptions and bitterness.. as is his nature :)

CiaranC is quite clever though.

:D:D:D

Worrying thing is that you probably believe that.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I always thought a barstooler was that fat guy who was shouting at ,say, Muller(Byarn Munich) because hes limited. Even though the guy is struggling for breath reaching for pint number 6 and Muller would wrap rings around him. Thats a barstooler for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Every Match Day , little Joe makes 15 mile round trip on foot through some of the most dangerous area of the planet to the so-called local bar ,Why does he make this weekly trip ,because the bar is home to the only TV in the entire area, And it is here that Little Joe gets to see his beloved Spurs ,He has not miss a game in 4 years. He will never be able to afford to see them live but that will not stop him and his weekly trips.......

Now is little Joe a Barstooler or Real Fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Prufrock wrote: »
    I always thought a barstooler was that fat guy who was shouting at ,say, Muller(Byarn Munich) because hes limited. Even though the guy is struggling for breath reaching for pint number 6 and Muller would wrap rings around him. Thats a barstooler for me.

That's what I consider a barstooler, but I tend not to use the term.

It's more for the elite of Irish football fans to help easiliy identify other human beings that are beneath them. (even tho the fat guy on the stool could be a very active LOI fan) :D

I think it's a bit like the guy in school with "short man syndrome"

• Advertisement
Advertisement