Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent Article about Barstoolers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Not singling you out or anything, but what exactly turns you off going to Terryland? Genuine question..

Nothing turns me off Terryland at all. It's just that I'm an older woman who follows Man City because my dad did since he worked there in the 1950's.
    I love City and couldn't follow anybody else at this stage, that said I do like to see Galway Utd do well but City's my team and I couldn't, even if I wanted to not support them now aged 36.

Tbh, If I did support my local team I'd see less football cos I live 30 miles from Galway city, attend college and have 4 kids....i at least get to see City on the TV, well, not as much as I'd like:)

I most likely, in the next few years will take myself along to Terryland when kids are older and college is done as I would like the live football experience even if it doesn't have all the razz-ma-tazz of the EPL.

I have absolutely nothing against LOI, Terryland and anyone who supports a LOI team but I hate to be looked down upon for who or what I do support..
    I hope that makes some sense:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

How do you rate the lads in Galway who would call themselves Galway Utd supporters but don't go to live games or is your criticsm purely reserved for those who follow EPL and watch Sky??

Just curious...

My argument is about watching football on TV versus attending a live game. Galway "supporters" who don't attend games or watch them on TV don't even come into the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm an older woman...aged 36.

:eek::eek:

Better not let my woman read this.

Des wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Better not let my woman read this.

:confused:
    I don't mean I'm OLD at 36, just mean I'm not a young wan who can head out of an evening to live games etc:)

or am I missing the joke again??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:confused:
    I don't mean I'm OLD at 36, just mean I'm not a young wan who can head out of an evening to live games etc:)

or am I missing the joke again??

Not missing any joke, but did say "older woman" :)

(my gf is 35)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Havn't read much of this thread, so don't know what people are generally agruing about, but heres my 2 cents anyway.

For me, there are both pros and cons to watching football live in the flesh and to being an armchair fan watching from the comfort of my own home and occasionally travelling over to England or wherever it may be to watch the team I support.
    I have experienced plenty of both in the past, until around 2007 I was an avid Liverpool fan, would watch every game possible, travel over around twice a season, buy the jersies, know every little in and out of the club, no denying it I was a "real" fan, much like I'm sure many people on here are real fans of whoever they follow, just because you don't live near a team does not mean you aren't a "real" fan.
    Also, from roughly 2004 until their demise at the end of 2009, I was a Kildare County fan. Would attend every home game, a few away, was always attempting to promote the club and get more people attending games, I even worked with the club for a brief period. Again, I was most definately a "real" fan of my local club.

The feelings I felt for each club were very similar, which is a reason I don't buy into this real fan stuff. With Liverpool, obviously the standard was much much better, easier to watch games from the comfort of my own home (and to be honest thought myself it was actually better from the footballing point of view then going to games with replays, perfect view etc.), was a good way of getting to know people and often came up in conversation, and going over to Anfield for a weekend was a great buzz also. I can definately see why people support foreign sides, plenty of joy in it IMO.

On the flipside, with Kildare County there was no better feeling than walking down to the grounds on a Saturday evening, chanting with the lads against the opposition fans, the general matchday atmosphere was amazing. However, the biggest thing for me was that the club genuinely appreciated my support, as I have previously stated I was very involved with the club, and from top to bottom you could tell that you were genuinely a help to the club, a feeling 99% of fans will never get with bigger Premier League teams.

To summarise, I'm of the opinion that both are worthy of the experience, but if I were to choose the following of the local club was more enjoyable. But untill both are tried, I wouldn't knock the other.

If its quality of football and watching matchs your after - I'd completely recommend following your Uniteds or Liverpools or who ever it may be.

But if it's more of a genuine good feeling and support your after - your local team cannot be beaten.

Des wrote: »
    Not missing any joke, but did say "older woman" :)

(my gf is 35)

Sound, I get ya.......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

My argument is about watching football on TV versus attending a live game. Galway "supporters" who don't attend games or watch them on TV don't even come into the argument.

What do you think of people who watch snooker on TV?

Can they enjoy if they don't go down to the local snooker hall to watch others play?

Can they enjoy it if they don't go to geoffs or city west when it comes to Ireland?

Can they enjoy it if they don't come from the same area as snooker playerys they think are taleneted and like to watch on tv?

Can they enjoy it without following said player to snooker tournaments.

Does the snooker player have to be from the area for one to be a "fan"?

It's weird as most teams these days are comprised of players that don't live or are not from the area.

so it's a bit rich moaning about the fans!

heck there's players in most leagues that aren;t even from that country!

ntlbell wrote: »
    What do you think of people who watch snooker on TV?

Can they enjoy if they don't go down to the local snooker hall to watch others play?

Can they enjoy it if they don't go to geoffs or city west when it comes to Ireland?

Can they enjoy it if they don't come from the same area as snooker playerys they think are taleneted and like to watch on tv?

Can they enjoy it without following said player to snooker tournaments.

Does the snooker player have to be from the area for one to be a "fan"?

It's weird as most teams these days are comprised of players that don't live or are not from the area.

so it's a bit rich moaning about the fans!

heck there's players in most leagues that aren;t even from that country!

In fairness, watching snooker and watching a football match are very different things for many reasons. Only 1 player at the table at a time rather than 22 players running around an acre of land, stationary balls, a playing surface that easily fits in a single camera shot, very different noises and atmosphere, etc. etc. etc... Can't compare.

However, as it happens, I went to see a couple of snooker matches in Citywest and found it more enjoyable than watching on TV. I guess I just like to feel as close to the action as possible.

In fairness, watching snooker and watching a football match are very different things for many reasons. Only 1 player at the table at a time rather than 22 players running around an acre of land, stationary balls, a playing surface that easily fits in a single camera shot, very different noises and atmosphere, etc. etc. etc... Can't compare.

However, as it happens, I went to see a couple of snooker matches in Citywest and found it more enjoyable than watching on TV. I guess I just like to feel as close to the action as possible.

the connection/princaple is the same.

Why should a connection be more important when it's 11 v's 1?

how much of a "fan" you are is relvant regardless how many it is.

You could claim a atmospheric difference but the crap that's been spouted here is nothing to do with atmosphere, it's about tribal/political/cultral connections.

I watched a few many years when it used to be in geoffs and I hated it as I found it really hard to see a lot of the shots even tho the seats were pretty good.

it's not comparable because it doesn't suit the LOI agenda being displayed here.

• Advertisement

the connection/princaple is the same.

Why should a connection be more important when it's 11 v's 1?

how much of a "fan" you are is relvant regardless how many it is.

You could claim a atmospheric difference but the crap that's been spouted here is nothing to do with atmosphere, it's about tribal/political/cultral connections.

I watched a few many years when it used to be in geoffs and I hated it as I found it really hard to see a lot of the shots even tho the seats were pretty good.

it's not comparable because it doesn't suit the LOI agenda being displayed here.

Nonsense. It's a bad argument and has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are talking about here. Snooker is a sport played by individuals and are not representing a specific area. It's a completely different kettle of fish and is a bad analogy, so just leave it there.

It doesn't suit the LOI agenda? I just said I preferred watching live snooker than watching it on TV. Sorry, you make no sense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Nothing turns me off Terryland at all

I hope that makes some sense:)
    Thanks for the reply. I suppose my way of looking at it is that I go to Terryland every 2 weeks and to some away games over the Summer. It's demoralising to see the attendance bearly make it in to four figures. What's even more annoying is that if Man United or liverpool were to come here Terryland would be filled to the rafters of people with zero affiliation to the EPL team supporting them against the team from where they live. You do have every reason to support Man City as you have a connection with them. this isn't the case 9 times out of 10.

It's frustrating as somebody who supports GUFC to be constantly asked " Why do ya support them they're ****e. " The vast majority of people in this country are band-wagoners and glory hunters, there's no denying that. Look at the connacht game for tomorrow night as an example.

Wouldn't it be great if even a percentage of the people who support a British team attended games locally regularly. it would see Stadia improve, quality would improve and it could be something we could be proud of. But alas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Helix wrote: »
    itll survive because without the league of ireland theres no irish national team allowed to play in fifa/uefa sanctioned tournaments
    not true

Fifa have stated that if FAI and IFA had a joint league they couold still have individual international sides

is there a league in Andorra? is there one in San Marino?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Paulegend wrote: »
    is there a league in Andorra? is there one in San Marino?
    Yeah, there is

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Nonsense. It's a bad argument and has nothing whatsoever to do with what we are talking about here. Snooker is a sport played by individuals and are not representing a specific area. It's a completely different kettle of fish and is a bad analogy, so just leave it there.

I doesn't suit the LOI agenda? I just said I preferred watching live snooker than watching it on TV. Sorry, you make no sense!

Of course it has.

Point A:

You can't enjoy football if you don't go to live games.

Wrong.

You can enjoy a sport on TV as much as live, some people can't.

I like snooker, can't watch it live, love it on tv.

You prefer it live.

see? two different people, same sport, two ways of enjoying both enjoy it in their own way? this part is not complicated, take it in.

Point B:

You have to have a connection to a team be your "local team" etc to enjoy it.

Wrong.

Where does shamrock rovers represent? irish town? milltown? tallaght?

so do the irishtown crowd stop following them when they went to milltown? the milltown crowd when they move to tallaght because it's not their area anymore are they representing irishtown now but playing in tallaght? I'm confused.

absoloute and utter nonsense.

You enjoy a sport whatever way you see fit and whatever way you enjoy it, be that on a TV or at a live event or whatever, one way or another doesn't make you any less of a fan than an another.

only small minded clueless idiots who have no "real" interest in sport rather mindless tribalisim would think so.

these are not sports fans, they're usually just young people crying out for a bit of identiity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thanks for the reply. I suppose my way of looking at it is that I go to Terryland every 2 weeks and to some away games over the Summer. It's demoralising to see the attendance bearly make it in to four figures. What's even more annoying is that if Man United or liverpool were to come here Terryland would be filled to the rafters of people with zero affiliation to the EPL team supporting them against the team from where they live. You do have every reason to support Man City as you have a connection with them. this isn't the case 9 times out of 10.

It's frustrating as somebody who supports GUFC to be constantly asked " Why do ya support them they're ****e. " The vast majority of people in this country are band-wagoners and glory hunters, there's no denying that. Look at the connacht game for tomorrow night as an example.

Wouldn't it be great if even a percentage of the people who support a British team attended games locally regularly. it would see Stadia improve, quality would improve and it could be something we could be proud of. But alas...
    When the Pope John Paul II came to Ireland almost 1/4 million people attended his visit to Galway.
    When a big rock/pop band appear in Galway thousands will attend the gig.
    Similarly when a team of world class soccer players come to Galway its going to bring out thousands of people.

This has to do with it being a once in a lifetime opportunity for a lot of those people to see a team of elite soccer players in the flesh as it is with the Pope or the pop/rock band.

I've already explained in this thread about those who watch soccer in pubs but none of you bothered to reply to that. I also explained how the LOI lost a lot of fans including me many years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Yeah, there is

do you actually know what their league is???

its a local league with more a less pub teams. they dont even have their own "home grounds"

this "league" if it is good enough for international recognition then Ireland would never EVER have a problem having an international team just because everyone watches the premiership

people grow up watching the premiership as it is the closest full professional division to us. thats it. its our local league like it or not. the Irish premier league is semi-pro at best. its a step above sunday league

Point A:

You can't enjoy football if you don't go to live games.

Wrong.

I never said this.
    Point B:

You have to have a connection to a team be your "local team" etc to enjoy it.

Wrong.

I never said this either. Makes me wonder who the 'clueless idiot' is....

I never said this.

I never said this either. Makes me wonder who the 'clueless idiot' is....

I never said you did, I'm referrig to the whole LOI argument of the thread.

Maybe you haven't read it?

but feel free to answer any of the questions, I'm truly intrigued to the answers.

eagle eye wrote: »
    This has to do with it being a once in a lifetime opportunity for a lot of those people to see a team of elite soccer players in the flesh as it is with the Pope or the pop/rock band.

Didn't thousands of people turn up to see what looked like the Liverpool youths team play a local side in Cork last year? Elite soccer players me arse. Liverpools 1st team are barely elite soccer players at this stage...

• Advertisement

I never said you did, I'm referrig to the whole LOI argument of the thread.

Maybe you haven't read it?

but feel free to answer any of the questions, I'm truly intrigued to the answers.

So who said it? Are you talking to yourself?

Didn't thousands of people turn up to see what looked like the Liverpool youths team play a local side in Cork last year? Elite soccer players me arse. Liverpools 1st team are barely elite soccer players at this stage...
    Pretty sure Galway got a nice crowd against Hull too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Barely 2,000. Obviously not high aenough a standard...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Bohs done themselves lots of favours by playing a Liverpool XI too ;)

So who said it? Are you talking to yourself?

Christ all mighty.

Have you read the thread at all?

It's the _whole_ LOI argument??

barstoolers?

EPL fans...

LOI fans...

The topic of thread...

the first post..

anything sound familiar?

Barely 2,000. Obviously not high aenough a standard...:rolleyes:
    Ah right, thought it was bigger

Christ all mighty.

Have you read the thread at all?

It's the _whole_ LOI argument??

barstoolers?

EPL fans...

LOI fans...

The topic of thread...

the first post..

anything sound familiar?

I'm pretty sure all your questions have been answered throughout the thread. Maybe you should read it. :pac:

My only point was that attending a live game is the real deal. I'd imagine watching your beloved premier league team on the box in front of zero fans would be pretty bad without any atmosphere.

Some people watch football on TV. Some just read the back pages of the Sun. Others post nonsense on internet forums. Others re-enact the game on the subboteo table. Each to their own but none of them are a substitute for attending a game.

That's my only point as far as this thread goes. As far as location, links to teams whatever, I'll let you drag someone else into that one. I'm not going to bother as it's really been done to death now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

As far as location, links to teams whatever, I'll let you drag someone else into that one. I'm not going to bother as it's really been done to death now.

it has, and its proved to be not as big a deal as some want it to be

Jazzy wrote: »
    it has, and its proved to be not as big a deal as some want it to be

Indeed, although it must be noted that without the support of the local communities in which they exist, none of the premier league clubs would ever have grown to become what they are today.

All politics football is local.

• Advertisement

Indeed, although it must be noted that without the support of the local communities in which they exist, none of the premier league clubs would ever have grown to become what they are today.

thats a bit "no sh1t sherlock" isnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Christ. Does every single comment have to be so condescending? Childish stuff.

You completely missed the point, on purpose I'd say.

well thats what happens when someone says the same rehashed point for the 50th time in one thread

thats a bit "no sh1t sherlock" isnt it

It absolutely is. But what would have happened if, 100 years ago, everyone in liverpool had said that local stuff is low 'standard'. Real madrid is where it's at. But they didn't, they supported their local team and achieved great success as a result and the rest was history. Makes you thankful to those who supported their local team eh?

You completely missed the point, on purpose I'd say.

Pretty sure I hit the nail on the head with that one.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure I hit the nail on the head with that one.
    No you didn't my point was that for most of those people its a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a world famous team who have won many league titles in one of the toughest leagues in the world as well as more European Cups/Champion's Leagues but Real Madrid and AC Milan.

You just picked on a particular game and said they played youths in it and that Liverpool are hardly an elite team. What has that got to do with their status as one of the most famous names in club football worldwide known for having elite footballers in their squad consistently for many, many years?

It absolutely is. But what would have happened if, 100 years ago, everyone in liverpool had said that local stuff is low 'standard'. Real madrid is where it's at. But they didn't, they supported their local team and achieved great success as a result and the rest was history. Makes you thankful to those who supported their local team eh?

so in another 100 years when Shelbourne get to the CL final Ill be sure to give Des a pat on the back.

100 years is a long time, a lot can happen... we can have 2 world wars, gone to the moon and witnessed Britney Spears in that amount of time. pretty much a null arguement there. times, like people change

No you didn't my point was that for most of those people its a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a world famous team who have won many league titles in one of the toughest leagues in the world as well as more European Cups/Champion's Leagues but Real Madrid and AC Milan.

You just picked on a particular game and said they played youths in it and that Liverpool are hardly an elite team. What has that got to do with their status as one of the most famous names in club football worldwide known for having elite footballers in their squad consistently for many, many years?

It's quite simple. You said thousands of people turn out to see an elite team. I said thousands of people turned out to see a youths team who happened to wear Liverpool jersies.

simples.bmp

so in another 100 years when Shelbourne get to the CL final premier division Ill be sure to give Des a pat on the back.

Fixed your post. :pac:

It's quite simple. You said thousands of people turn out to see an elite team. I said thousands of people turned out to see a youths team who happened to wear Liverpool jersies.
    And I said that thousands of people turned out to see a club that are world famous and have been hugely successful both at domestic and European level over the lifetimes of quite a large proportion of the Irish population.

• Advertisement

And I said that thousands of people turned out to see a club that are world famous and have been hugely successful both at domestic and European level over the lifetimes of quite a large proportion of the Irish population.

So thousands of people paid to see a 'club', whatever that means, and all they got to see was kids in Liverpool jersies? Suckers...

So thousands of people paid to see a 'club', whatever that means, and all they got to see was kids in Liverpool jersies? Suckers...
    Yeah but you have went miles away from the point I was making.

Do yourself a favour, stop hating and grow up.

If you love the LOI and Galway United in particular then go out and help them. Try and think of ways to get people to games. That would be a lot better for your club/league than coming on here and putting people off attending games because that is all you and those other guys who come in attacking people who support teams abroad are doing.

This thing of they are not 'real' supporters is just ridiculous. Who is claiming to be a 'real' supporter and who cares what a minority think anyways. And you sir are in the minority.

Yeah but you have went miles away from the point I was making.

Do yourself a favour, stop hating and grow up.

If you love the LOI and Galway United in particular then go out and help them. Try and think of ways to get people to games. That would be a lot better for your club/league than coming on here and putting people off attending games because that is all you and those other guys who come in attacking people who support teams abroad are doing.

This thing of they are not 'real' supporters is just ridiculous. Who is claiming to be a 'real' supporter and who cares what a minority think anyways. And you sir are in the minority.

You have me confused with someone else buddy.

By the way, you're taking this far too serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Would you stop with this nonsense excuse. "I dont go to football because scary boys on the interweb put me off". Maybe you should stick to your barstool, what goes on between rival supporters at football matches would be very upsetting to you.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Would you stop with this nonsense excuse. "I dont go to football because scary boys on the interweb put me off". Maybe you should stick to your barstool, what goes on between rival supporters at football matches would be very upsetting to you.
    If you read what I posted earlier I have said I don't ever go to a pub to watch a match.

As I also explained earlier you along with many others are very confused people. Those who watch matches in pubs would most likely be in pubs anyways. The fact that a match is on is just a very good reason for them in their own minds and/or an excuse to get out of the house.

As I also explained earlier you along with many others are very confused people. Those who watch matches in pubs would most likely be in pubs anyways. The fact that a match is on is just a very good reason for them in their own minds and/or an excuse to get out of the house.
    How are we confused, thats exactly what we are saying. We are just reminding people not to confuse these folks with football fans.

How are we confused, thats exactly what we are saying. We are just reminding people not to confuse these folks with football fans.
    As long as you get it. Thats peope on pubs, people who watch games at home and pay for the privelege by puchasing sky/setanta/espn are a whole different group.

Football and sport in general is entertainment and something to be enjoyed. For some people that enjoyment comes from watching a match on tv where they get to hear good commentary and some color commentary which most often comes from a retired footballer as well as studio analysis. For others the entertainment is attendiing a game with their friends, for others its attending a game on their own. Others only want to attend games with a high standard of football as they only get enjoyment from a certain standard of football. Others love chanting and that brings them to football matches.

There are so many different types of football fans all around the world.

There are so many different types of football fans all around the world.
    Sure there are different types, all equal. Its just that some are more equal than others.

Sure there are different types, all equal. Its just that some are more equal than others.
    What do you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

My closest football club that competed in the league was run by criminals who scammed fans out of money, everybody knew this was going on. Nothing was done. Club went down the drain and as of today ceases to exist. So do you want me to travel 40 miles to pay into a team I have no affiliation with whatsoever.

Or can I stick to Manchester United? If that's okay with you? Is my connection with Manchester enough for you? As far back as I can trace my family history is Manchester. St. George's road aka 'Irish Town' in Manchester. Generations ago my relatives emigrated to Manchester from Ireland. Lot's of my family worked constructing the canals in Manchester. Until my current family moved around a bit we were Irish-Mancs. All through out my family we have a Manchester United - Manchester City mix. Get your facts right. Not every person on here that supports an English club is a "Fake football fan".

And I'm sure many with no connection whatsoever were sick of the state of the way the LoI is run. Quite frankly the only reason I see that we have a league is because we want a National Team able to compete in FIFA and UEFA tournaments.

Just because you support your local football team doesn't make you a real football fan. Lot's of people don't live near football clubs.

Get your head out of your LoI arsé. This barstoolers thing is becoming sad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement