Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent Article about Barstoolers.

18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

This thread will pop up again and again and again.

Best way to think of it is:

Football fan: Those who like football and watch it on tv

Football supporter: Those who go to matches and plough the money into the club through season tickets, raffle tickets, club merchandise and being there so that the players can actually hear their support, thus encouraging them.

Just let and let live ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Good post.

On the thing about the disrespectful tone towards barstoolers; I think its a circular thing, like we get awful abuse from said barstoolers because the league is ****e, apparently. (and the rest). This crap causes all the negative disrespectful comments.

Can't remember anyone starting a thread abusing the LOI.

Can remember quite a few abusing and undermining EPL fans(not blaming you).

That's not circular or response, that's instigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Just to lighten the mood a bit around here and put this into a bit of perspective.
    A friend of mine is a union rep in one of the large semi-state organisations.
    He told me recently that the majority of the disputes he helps resolve involve fights and scuffles between supporters of English teams (primarily the big two) and most take place on Monday morning.
    The people involved are usually middle-aged men :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

You see, to me thats the bit of the arguement I don't find credible. 'LoI clubs are too far from me so I picked a team in a different country because its more accessible'.

Not buying that. Are you telling me you have more of a 'connection' with Manchester than Dublin or Cork?
    Well I was born in England and the first soccer game I remember was Utd winning the European Cup final in 1968 so I have followed them since. Truth be known I am very involved in my local(as in next door to my house) GAA club so they take up my spare time, and unlike yourself I love all sports including GAA, soccer and rugby, so I have the best of all worlds, which is why I will have a major hangover on Monday after Super, duper Sunday starting with Liverpool-Chelsea @ 1.30pm and ending with the National Hurling League @ 7pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

As I have posted previously, I have absolutely no problem with people supporting big English clubs, the quality is better, therefore I can see why someone would support them. But one thing that really grinds my gears is when people say they support them because their "great grandfathers uncles best friend was from *insert team/area here*", in my opinion that is no reason to support a football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

they support them because their "great grandfathers uncles best friend was from *insert team/area here*", in my opinion that is no reason to support a football team.

In fairness, it sounds a bit more soulful than X team represents a more than credible chance of domestic and Champions League domination in my lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

On the subject of LOI I was thinking a while ago, why do the clubs make zero effort to pick up good promising youngsters, rather than letting these 16 year olds go to England offer them a season with some first team football and an accetable wage and see how they go, if they impress they will still get their 'Dream' move to England and the club would make some cash, Ireladn is probably the worst country for bringing youth through the domestic scene. (Bar the likes of Kevin Doyle,Meyler,Long from Cork City)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

peabutler wrote: »
    On the subject of LOI I was thinking a while ago, why do the clubs make zero effort to pick up good promising youngsters, rather than letting these 16 year olds go to England offer them a season with some first team football and an accetable wage and see how they go, if they impress they will still get their 'Dream' move to England and the club would make some cash, Ireladn is probably the worst country for bringing youth through the domestic scene. (Bar the likes of Kevin Doyle,Meyler,Long from Cork City)

Because the players rarely want to stay. The reason Ireland doesn't bring through youth is because Britain takes it all in. Hopefully the new UEFA rule will limit Irish players going abroad at 16 and leads to clubs bringing them through over here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I know four lads who turned down the opportunity to play in England, two of them now play for Rovers and two did play for Pats but the two that played for Pats aren't playing this year because of the Leaving Cert.

What about Craig Walsh? One of the best players on that Sky programme and he now plays for Rovers.

• Advertisement

He wasn't good enough to go away. Do not let that Sky Programme cloud your judgement, there are much better players playing at Craig's age in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

baz2009 wrote: »
    I know four lads who turned down the opportunity to play in England, two of them now play for Rovers and two did play for Pats but the two that played for Pats aren't playing this year because of the Leaving Cert.

What about Craig Walsh? One of the best players on that Sky programme and he now plays for Rovers.

Yeah but look at the history of players from them SKy Football programmes out of 36 contestants from 3 series none of them have made it. I'm talking about young players such as u-16 and u-17 internationals, get them before the likes of Villa, Ipswich, United etc. Irish football could benefit hugely from a good academy system bringing through good exciting youth players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mixture of the traditional big schoolboy clubs having the cross-channel conveyor belt sewn up and the LOI clubs traditionally neglecting their youth set-ups in favour of throwing stupid money at senior players.

Some clubs, including Rovers, are trying to address though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I started following Soccer in 1992 (I was 19 and worked in a pub..since soccer was on 24/7 either it was go mental or start following it) and picked Newcastle United..
    I hadn't a clue about soccer clubs or whether there was even clubs in Ireland that played..complete noobie.
    The reason I picked Newcastle? I liked the shirts and they looked exciting to watch hence why I picked them.
    Growing up there was no local soccers clubs only GAA clubs which was why I never bothered with soccer (loved playing it but could never watch it on tv)
    Today I still follow them, watch their matches on tv, buy their shirts and try and get over during the year if possible.
    I've been through great times with Newcastle, sad times and heartbreaking times with them but I still feel a connection with them. I'm not from Newcastle but neither are 99% of all other football supports in the world. (Look how many follow Man U in China/Asis etc).

Now..if I had started following my nearest local club..Limerick FC.
    I'd have been fairly pissed off that they ceased to exist in 2006 and that basically a new team was created in 2007.

So tell me Mr LoI..where's the connection there? The City? I'm not originally from the City so there goes that one.
    At least with Newcastle the chances of the team being disbanded are pretty small not unlike LoI clubs.
    And I like the fact that you have that nifty little LoI slogan in your sign....just goes to show that you obviously can't think for yourself and believe the FAI's marketing bullshít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

stovelid wrote: »
    Mixture of the traditional big schoolboy clubs having the cross-channel conveyor belt sewn up and the LOI clubs traditionally neglecting their youth set-ups in favour of throwing stupid money at senior players.

Yup. As is Pete Mahon at Pats.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    This thread will pop up again and again and again.

Best way to think of it is:

Football fan: Those who like football and watch it on tv

Football supporter: Those who go to matches and plough the money into the club through season tickets, raffle tickets, club merchandise and being there so that the players can actually hear their support, thus encouraging them.

Just let and let live ffs!!

Your wrong on the "fan" thing man. Fan, comes from "fanatic".

I don't care what way people say it, but watching a match on TV every week, and going over to watch the team once or twice a year simply doesn't make you a football fan. To me, a football fan is exactly what Monkey says a supporter is.

Don't even know why I'm saying this tbh. Some will agree, some won't. It ain't gonna change anyones minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Berkut wrote: »
    Now..if I had started following my nearest local club..Limerick FC.
    I'd have been fairly pissed off that they ceased to exist in 2006 and that basically a new team was created in 2007.

...but you weren't there. So go follow the new team. ;)

I've no problem on the Newcastle thing btw. I support Watford myself, and watch them on TV as much as I can, and go over once a twice a year. I don't consider myself equal with the Watford fans that go week in, week out.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »

All you have to do is look at the DDSL League tables to see how bad LOI teams fare at underage level. It's baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Of course clubs are going to let young players over to England to play. Sure they get €20,000 if the player makes an appearance and that money is badly needed for some clubs here because our own FA are far from a helping hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Because the clubs cant compete with the wages offered by English teams or the transfer fee they offer. If, let's say for example a couple thousand more went to attend local games. Clubs then wouldn't be forced to sell players to compensate for the crowds they currently get.

Simple really:
    Attend games, standard improves and Irish football is on the up.
    Watch a team on TV: teams forced to sell, good players lost, Irish football goes nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

SantryRed wrote: »
    All you have to do is look at the DDSL League tables to see how bad LOI teams fare at underage level. It's baffling.
    Not really. Just teams like Cherry Orchard, Home Farm, Crumlin United and Belvedere to name but a few have very strong traditions. They tend to get the best players on their name alone.
    At schoolboy level its really about bringing the players through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats Rovers game tonight was easily the best advert of LOI football i have seen in a while.

Glad it wasnt on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pats Rovers game tonight was easily the best advert of LOI football i have seen in a while.

Glad it wasnt on tv.

?
    If it wasn't on tv, and so was only visible to those there (effectively preaching to the choir) then isn't it a pretty poor advert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    ?
    If it wasn't on tv, and so was only visible to those there (effectively preaching to the choir) then isn't it a pretty poor advert?

No, Live doesnt work well on tv no camera angle in the world can show it.

Rovers 2nd goal was clearly offside, i didnt have a replay to prove me right but im 100% certain he was offside. So in theory it should have been 1-1 but it wasnt and could ahve been 4-1. Sometimes its for the best if a match isnt on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eagle eye wrote: »
    Football and sport in general is entertainment and something to be enjoyed. For some people that enjoyment comes from watching a match on tv where they get to hear good commentary and some color commentary which most often comes from a retired footballer as well as studio analysis. For others the entertainment is attendiing a game with their friends, for others its attending a game on their own. Others only want to attend games with a high standard of football as they only get enjoyment from a certain standard of football. Others love chanting and that brings them to football matches.

There are so many different types of football fans all around the world.
    Strongly disagree with you here. All of the other ones you've mentioned are akin to someone really enjoying a TV program. Yeah of course they like it, nobody is questioning that, but theres a hell of alot more to being a football fan than being a fan of Dexter or South Park. Requires alot more of you, a hell of alot of patience. And alot of people aren't willing to give that, and you've listed the reasons in your post above imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No, Live doesnt work well on tv no camera angle in the world can show it.

Rovers 2nd goal was clearly offside, i didnt have a replay to prove me right but im 100% certain he was offside. So in theory it should have been 1-1 but it wasnt and could ahve been 4-1. Sometimes its for the best if a match isnt on tv.

You know you're a true football fan when you're at a match, see them score( happens a lot at dalymount) and you know 100% it's offside) Then ya see it on the tele and he's clearly a yard on but NO you still know in your heart and soul he was off.

Advertisement