Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent Article about Barstoolers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

podge018 wrote: »
    Im not talking about the LOI!! Someone asked what's the name for the people that go over every week.

and is that the same for people who go to LOI games every week tho?

or those who travel the length of the country going to their teams away games as well?

seems you think football fans in general are idiots for not just watching on the telly, yet you seem to think that makes them the sky sports drone and not you

sir seems to be confused about reality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Ive been supporting Everton since the 80s... I never had any interest in the LOI, and frankly its shoite.

Most of my mates support Man United, Liverpool, and we all go back a long time to know when times were not so rosy.

The only LOI team I watched was Cork City vs Everton in musgrave park in 1990... (lost 4:0...:pac:).

Anyways, no interest in the loi, simple as

And I have lots of English mates, and in this day and age only narrow minded pepple have the guns out for England. Im not going to be getting my self **** faced if they lose, but if they win It wouldnt bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

This thread is hilarious, all fans of english teams are barstoolers. Those that go to games are mindless drones, and should stay home and be barstoolers. But barstoolers are also bad.

Why don't ye just come out and say that ye think ye're superior for supporting LOI teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

why are determined to get my opinion on LOI fans, Im not giving one, give it a rest.

I know people who go over to England every other weekend, and they're, in the main, sad people. The type of people who wear replica kits in their 20s and 30s, who call United fans 'Mancs', like it's derogatory, the type of Arsenal fan who hates Spurs, for no reason other than he's supposed to, it's not like he lives and works with Spurs fans all day.

This thread is hilarious, all fans of english teams are barstoolers. Those that go to games are mindless drones, and should stay home and be barstoolers. But barstoolers are also bad.

Why don't ye just come out and say that ye think ye're superior for supporting LOI teams?

you left out the bit that anyone who goes to a footie match on a trip that takes up most of the day is an idiot too, coz they should just watch it on telly instead

why are determined to get my opinion on LOI fans, Im not giving one, give it a rest.

I know people who go over to England every other weekend, and they're, in the main, sad people. The type of people who wear replica kits in their 20s and 30s, who call United fans 'Mancs', like it's derogatory, the type of Arsenal fan who hates Spurs, for no reason other than he's supposed to, it's not like he lives and works with Spurs fans all day.

no no, you said everyone who goes over to games in england regularly is an idiot because they could just watch it on telly

you also said they were despised by locals, and bought things in the club shop every week

question for you: do you actually have a clue what youre talking about?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You give out about generalising, then say all LOI fans think they're better?

There's plenty of LOI fans who are just as tired of this crap as EPL fans, several of which have posted in this thread.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Do you support a football team?

You give out about generalising, then say all LOI fans think they're better?

There's plenty of LOI fans who are just as tired of this crap as EPL fans, several of which have posted in this thread.

No, i said that all the points made by LOI fans have been veiled comments on how everyone should be supporting a LOI team.

• Advertisement

No, i said that all the points made by LOI fans have been veiled comments on how everyone should be supporting a LOI team.
    I'm a LOI fan, I haven't made any veiled comments.

Helix wrote: »
    no no, you said everyone who goes over to games in england regularly is an idiot because they could just watch it on telly

you also said they were despised by locals, and bought things in the club shop every week

question for you: do you actually have a clue what youre talking about?

what do you mean "no no", what are you denying there?

1. I said those that go over every other weekend are idiots.

2. Some of the reasoning behind that is the loss of their time, the fact they can watch it on tv is an aside.

"you also said they were despised by locals, and bought things in the club shop every week" - thanks for the summary, have you anything to add?

Yes I do have a clue.

id kinda agree

if youve got a loi club nearby and are into footie you should really be popping along to games, itll help improve the league if more people do it. but thats not to say you shouldnt support an english, spanish, italian or nigerian club too if you want to

Frisbee wrote: »
    Do you support a football team?

Yes

2. Some of the reasoning behind that is the loss of their time, the fact they can watch it on tv is an aside.

But that would make them 'barstoolers' no?
    Yes

Who? Out of interst

what do you mean "no no", what are you denying there?

1. I said those that go over every other weekend are idiots.

"you also said they were despised by locals, and bought things in the club shop every week" - thanks for the summary, have you anything to add?

Yes I do have a clue.

again, youre saying that people are idiots for chosing to watch live football rather than watching it on tv

you also state the loss of time, do you feel the same about loi fans who travel the length of the country for away games? the answer to that question will clear a lot of things up

• Advertisement

Look bud, I'm not talking about LOI fans here. Give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Poorly written article in many ways, but one thing that always gets me with this "you like an english team but dislike THE english team". To be honest, in most cases, this is perfectly logical. A person likes a team, not every team in the league.

You have, say, a Liverpool fan. He see's the English national team which has Gerrard and Johnson amongst its 23 man panel. So thats 21 players that play for this fans competitors. Why the fuk should he want to support a team which is overwhelmingly filled with the people he shouts AGAINST on a weekly basis?

On a side note, I'm fairly neutral on the team, but i do hate the English football media. Everything always has to be turned into a glorified pantomime with sub plots and intrigue, and actual football discussion and analysis always taking a back seat.

Frisbee wrote: »

Who? Out of interst

Tolka Rovers

Look bud, I'm not talking about LOI fans here. Give up.

youre talking about football fans who spend large amounts of time travelling to and from games

surely the teams theyre going to watch dont come into it, youre calling them idiots for spending so much time going to the games. england or ireland, it doesnt matter

stop dodging the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Its a shame that this "I am better than you" type of article just hurts LOI, would I go to a LOI match? Yeah, Sporting Fingal are down the road, I was thinking of going to watch a couple of them matches, I would say I support St. Pats if asked (Although tbh I don't really care)

I would go watch them just the whole attitude annoys me, obviously I am not a real fan cause I don't pay to watch them play but I go watch a match on a Saturday in the local park and go watch their away games whenever I can (Most of the time) they are an average saturday team, but cause I don't support a LOI team, I am automatically a barstooler.

I don't care if England win the World Cup, I am a Liverpool supporter, but I don't care if Spain win it so make of that what you will. I want Germany to win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I fooking hate this argument and dont agree with the article.I didnt make the choice to grow up in Ireland,my parents did.If I choose to support an English,irish,Turkish,mexican team thats MY choice.Not Sky Sports,not the newspapers,not anyone else but my choice.

Fair enough the article is raising the point that people who live in Ireland or near an Irish side should support them but what if they darn right just dont like them? They can support them if they want to and if they dont then who should care?

I cant afford to go over to England every weekend to support my team but I'll watch them on tele or the internet whenever I can.I do what I can to keep updated with team news/injuries/stats etc and I suffer every time we lose and celebrate everytime we lose as much as the people who go to every game,98%(rough rant guess) of who more then likely live in the close proximity of the team's ground and again,more then likely through the choice of their parents where they grew up.

Anyways I live in Bray so I have the option so maybe this article relates more to me then people who dont live near an LOI team but,its my choice to "support" my English side and I stand by it.Rant over.

Im not dodging it, Im flat out telling you I'm not answering it. I answered a question that was asked about people travelling to England all the time, that's all I'm prepared to debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Madworld wrote: »
    I never had any interest in the LOI, and frankly its shoite
    The only LOI team I watched was Cork City vs Everton in musgrave park in 1990... (lost 4:0...:pac:).

Both sides of the coin there; the self masturbatory holier-than-thou article, and the condemning of a league as terrible on the basis of 90 minutes of non-competitive football witnessed 20 years ago.

Both are equally destructive in terms of the leagues development, and both are ridiculous.

Im not dodging it, Im flat out telling you I'm not answering it. I answered a question that was asked about people travelling to England all the time, that's all I'm prepared to debate.

you wont answer it coz you know itll ruin your arguement when you say "no theyre not idiots, theyre good fans", which is blatantly exactly what you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ahhh crap i must be an idiot for going to Derry City away games. I mean a bus down to Cork will take over 8 hours. Thats a full weekend away from home oh no.

I go to Derry games when i am not working and have been to Anfield to watch Liverpool a couple of times this season. I must have idiot stamped on my forehead

if that makes you happy Helix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

How old are you?

if that makes you happy Helix

not really

just makes me wonder why you bothered in the first place if you were so hypocritical about it

see the post above from the derry fan who faces the long treks, hes an idiot according to you since you wont come out and say "no its LOI so its ok" like you actually think

Derry don't play Cork every other week lad.

but if Derry did play in Cork every other week, and he spent all that time going up and down, then yes he would be as big an idiot.

• Advertisement

no, but they play plenty of teams that involve long, long trips

therefore hes an idiot if he goes to all the away games, since hes wasting so much time on it

And so what?

I know people who go over to nearly every United game in a season with a big group of lads, they have a good day out, couple of pints and they're usually back the same day.

Whereas if they're at home they'll probably just go to the pub and get rat arsed.

they sound like great lads Frisbee.

Anyway, sorry to have put your noses out of joint, getting off here now to go out and enjoy the evening sun before work again tomorrow. Fill me in on who Andy Gray thinks is a top top player yeah.

I was saying Cork as thats the most traveling a LOI fan would have to do.

Following Derry means lots of weekends traveling around the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

LOL such a joke of a thread.
    I can't quite figure out the hidden meanings.
    Same old D-R-I-V-E-L by the same old people trying to shove the shambles that is the LOI down peoples throats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Podge, answer me this, why do you think that supporting a shít team makes you a better fan than us?

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Same old D-R-I-V-E-L by the same old people trying to shove the shambles that is the LOI down peoples throats.
    ...You mean two people? One of which isn't talking about LOI specifically?

Fill me in on who Andy Gray thinks is a top top player yeah.

surely youd be better able to do that. youre the one extolling the virtues of watching games on telly as opposed to going to them in person

Cause he does not have to travel out of Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Day-trippers. Despised by the locals and laughed at with their club shop carrier bag and camera.

They aren't day trippers, day trippers spend the weekend at the game once a year and fill the club bag and the locals don't mind them. Id say you despise them alright as there seems to be a new level of biterness towards your fellow man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why would anyone pop along to their local ground if they're going to be met by attitudes like that?
    Nonsense Xavi, no one who would actually bother going to a LOI game would be met by an "attitude".

Baz, I'll answer that while putting my shoes on.

I dont. I never said that. I was slating one particular set of people, but seem to have touched a lot of nerves. Laters.

People who go to the cinema are idiots. That's 2 or 3 hours they could've spent with their family. Going to the cinema is another activity in the list of things that can only be carried out alone.

People who go to the cinema are idiots. That's 2 or 3 hours they could've spent with their family. Going to the cinema is another activity in the list of things that can only be carried out alone.

and anyone who doesnt live in a city who goes out in that city for the night is an idiot, all that travelling

couldve just stayed local instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

aha, anti english is it?
    What with the day trips over to the "foreign entity" etc...???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

but if Derry did play in Cork every other week, and he spent all that time going up and down, then yes he would be as big an idiot.

I don't really get where you're coming from Podge, I mean it's clear you have an agenda against fans of the EPL, but it seems fromthis quote you have an agenda against football fans full stop.

I understand the militent LOI arguement that you're only a real fan if you go to all the games (understand, not agree with) - but you seem to be saying that spending time and money on any football is pathethic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Madworld wrote: »
    http://www.football-corner.org/2010/04/18/irish-people-supporting-english-teams/

Barstoolers will never feel what a proper football fan feels.

If by this he means being a bitter depressed lunatic who hasn't really got much going for them in life and needs to ramble on for days about being a fan, then what I say to this is simply...........barstools ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Unearthly wrote: »
    If by this he means being a bitter depressed lunatic who hasn't really got much going for them in life and needs to ramble on for days about being a fan, then what I say to this is simply...........barstools ftw!

Yeah if I want to know what it's like to watch Irish players producing poor football on a regular basis I'll just think back to the Ireland team a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

:pac:

One person! One person and you say it's everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

:confused: think your trying to find hidden meanings!

1. article is craap
    2. loi supporters shouldnt care who people support but rather try promote the league e.g. game last friday night was great and not saying following liverpool is for idiots

Just some thoughts of my own on the LOI-
    -irish media has to do alot more, MNS was a good step forward.
    -as only a recent enough fan to the LOI i would say i hadnt a clue who the teams were and who played for them etc and it is actually pretty imtimidating to start going to games, think the fact thats its small crowds makes you feel like an outsider and the often poor facilities dont help and these articles wouldnt encourage people to attend (even if they would be welcomed)
    -it takes quite a bit of effort to support and follow whats happening with your team and most people dont put in the effort and will never be converted from supporting english teams

• Advertisement
Advertisement