Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent Article about Barstoolers.

Comments

I keep reading LOI as LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

rarnes1 wrote: »

You're gas.

I don't have any problem with people supporting an English team, none at all. But why they can't support an LOI team as well is beyond me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

This thread is full of win.

The OP should be given a little slack seeing as he's not from around these parts and probably hasn't witnessed the infinite incarnations of the LOI vs PL sh1tefest that we usually endure on the forum.

This thread backs up the point I made earlier on this thread. The OP references a post from another forum that is poorly written and poorly argued, but because it echoes his own thoughts on the subject it is an "excellent article"

To address one point from the OP: I support an English team, and while I will not actively support their national team in South Africa I wish them well all the same, and will look out for any Spurs player in the squad.

As a Bohs fan, would the OP support the national team of any foreign players who play for Bohs?

As for Paudi, or Podge, or clunge, or whatever he's called...my new favourite poster without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

There was no local Irish league team for me as I grew up, I'm not suddenly going to "pick one" at random now that I'm in my 20's and living near Dublin.

I've supported Everton becase of family connections since before I went to school, cried my eyes out for them more than once as a kid, and these days I spend far more money than I can really afford constantly flying/sailing back and forth between Dublin and Liverpool. What do I do? Forget all that and arbitrarily decide to support an Irish team that I don't give a flying eff about? Why? because it makes me a "true fan" in the estimation of some narrow-minded people? Yeah, good shout there.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You're gas.

I don't have any problem with people supporting an English team, none at all. But why they can't support an LOI team as well is beyond me tbh.

What does it matter who people support in fairness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Madworld wrote: »
    It is a sad fact of life that as thousands upon thousands of “football fans” in Ireland sit in the pub every Saturday afternoon to “support” their favourite team from behind a TV screen, the majority of League of Ireland clubs continue to struggle to attract more than 3,000 people to a game every Friday night.

While I dont 'support' any team myself, it seems very straightforward why Irish people support EPL teams. It is a better product. Its not a coincidence that approx 95% of Irish 20-somethings are fans of ManU, Chel, Pool & Arse, the teams that tend to be succesful (or if you look at people in their 30s/40s, there will be a heavier concentration of Everton, Spurs fans; and add Leeds for those in 40s/50s). LoI offers a fairly poor product and success begins and ends with the league/cup.

Similarly, there are one or two American Football/Basketball teams in Ireland but anyone who enjoys either of these sports will be fans of US-based teams rather than out in the National Basketball Arena every week. If the product was better, the support would be there; but it isnt.

It may be the same sport, but LoI is worlds apart from what the EPL & the CL have to offer.
    Even as a Bohs fan, I have far more respect for a Shamrock Rovers fan than I do for a barstooler.

Why would you have to make that point? Is there a reason why you should not 'respect' someone who has similar interests to you, supports a League you are clearly passionate about and who presumably makes the effort to watch his team on a Friday night?

How can you call yourself a so called football 'fan' when your starting position is to disrespect fellow fans? Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

drkpower wrote: »
    While I dont 'support' any team myself, it seems very straightforward why Irish people support EPL teams. It is a better product. Its not a coincidence that approx 95% of Irish 20-somethings are fans of ManU, Chel, Pool & Arse, the teams that tend to be succesful (or if you look at people in their 30s/40s, there will be a heavier concentration of Everton, Spurs fans; and add Leeds for those in 40s/50s). LoI offers a fairly poor product and success begins and ends with the league/cup.

Similarly, there are one or two American Football/Basketball teams in Ireland but anyone who enjoys either of these sports will be fans of US-based teams rather than out in the National Basketball Arena every week. If the product was better, the support would be there; but it isnt.

It may be the same sport, but LoI is worlds apart from what the EPL & the CL have to offer.

Why would you have to make that point? Is there a reason why you should not 'respect' someone who has similar interests to you, supports a League you are clearly passionate about and who presumably makes the effort to watch his team on a Friday night?

How can you call yourself a so called football 'fan' when your starting position is to disrespect fellow fans? Sad.
    This sums it up. Its all about the product. Forget League of Ireland for a moment. it applies to every sport. How many watch AIL compared to Celtic League or Heineken Cup. GAA attendances in the summer are larger than national league games. Fans want to be entertained.
    Thats the bottom line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

One thing I don't get is if you are a "better supporter" for supporting your local team in the LOI and you support them cause they are a local team and you have honour and all that, why don't you support your local amateur club? I am sure their is a local team named after your area why don't you support them if you are so loyal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

rarnes1 wrote: »

I'm the same. The Atrocity LOL!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This thread is silly, people can support who they want to support, they can go to whatever games they want and can go to the pub and watch a premier league match on TV if they want. I've been a Sligo Rovers season ticket holder for years but I am also a huge Hamburg SV fan and go over to Germany a few times a year to support my team, it doesn't make me an idiot. It makes me a football fan.

People attacking other fans just because they dont follow the LOI need to grow up already. It's a free world ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I have something to say to anyone who thinks im a barstooler, I have no local LOI team, I'm not old enough to drive and I don't have a job to afford a train or bus so I can't go see any other team. I support Arsenal because my Grand Parents got married in the church I am about to link on Google maps

Neither of my parents really support a team so Arsenal has as much importance to me as any team, I try to get over when ever is possible with my father, so what do you define me as huh ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Ive been supporting Everton since the 80s... I never had any interest in the LOI, and frankly its shoite.

The only LOI team I watched was Cork City vs Everton in musgrave park in 1990... (lost 4:0...:pac:).

Right you said the only LOI team you ever wached was Cork City Vs Everton. Enlighten me then to your insightful comment that is is s***e.

Also suppose Everton did a Leeds and were relegated to League One. Would you still support them considering they would be s***e?
    This thread is hilarious, all fans of english teams are barstoolers.

Why don't ye just come out and say that ye think ye're superior for supporting LOI teams?

Yeah all followers of English football (again your not fans) are barstoolers. If you dont watch most of "your teams" matches live your not a fan. Simple as. And I will say it straight out. People who watch their team week in week out are superior fans and followers for watching their team live whether they live in Dublin, Liverpool or Beijing.

Helix wrote: »
    you also said they were despised by locals, and bought things in the club shop every week
    Do you genuinely think that locals like the Irish fans coming over every week. You maintain demand which allows their board to put the prices of tickets up, you make tickets harder to get and Irish people just generally act like complete and utter a***h***S by putting on Liverpool accents spouting on about how they hate the Mancs
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    But one thing that always gets me with this "you like an english team but dislike THE english team". To be honest, in most cases, this is perfectly logical. A person likes a team, not every team in the league. .

If you support an English team, pretend your English and sing their songs in an English accent and generally act like a complete and utter tool, then the logical thing is to support their national team, considering you pretend your English every Sunday down in the local pub.

Frisbee wrote: »
    And so what?

I know people who go over to nearly every United game in a season with a big group of lads, they have a good day out, couple of pints and they're usually back the same day.

Whereas if they're at home they'll probably just go to the pub and get rat arsed.

Would your mates go over if they were relegated to League Two?
    MikeySligo wrote: »
    LOL such a joke of a thread.
    I can't quite figure out the hidden meanings.
    Same old D-R-I-V-E-L by the same old people trying to shove the shambles that is the LOI down peoples throats.

Right our National Team has been a shambles down throught the years. Would you start supporting the English team because of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Yeah all followers of English football (again your not fans) are barstoolers. If you dont watch most of "your teams" matches live your not a fan. Simple as. And I will say it straight out. People who watch their team week in week out are superior fans and followers for watching their team live whether they live in Dublin, Liverpool or Beijing.

Watching your team live doesn't make you more of a fan. Makes you more dedicated to pumping money into your team alright though.

Do you genuinely think that locals like the Irish fans coming over every week. You maintain demand which allows their board to put the prices of tickets up, you make tickets harder to get and Irish people just generally act like complete and utter a***h***S by putting on Liverpool accents spouting on about how they hate the Mancs

And how do you know what Irish people act like when they go abroad to games? Unless you've done it?
    If you support an English team, pretend your English and sing their songs in an English accent and generally act like a complete and utter tool, then the logical thing is to support their national team, considering you pretend your English every Sunday down in the local pub.

Lol, no-one pretends their English. They just support an English club.

Would your mates go over if they were relegated to League Two?

No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

peabutler wrote: »
    Neither of my parents really support a team so Arsenal has as much importance to me as any team, I try to get over when ever is possible with my father, so what do you define me as huh ?

Not a pop at you in particular, but I wish people wouldn't that reason for not going to LOI games. If you can get to an airport to fly to London, you can get to a LOI ground.

Again, not a specific comment on your own circumstances.

What I have always found much more compelling is the fact that from my own perspective, I was attached to Spurs for at least 7 or 8 years before I was exposed to LOI football, and will never feel the same affinity to Shelbourne (i'm a Tolka Park irregular) that I do to Spurs.

Right our National Team has been a shambles down throught the years. Would you start supporting the English team because of it?

That is a commonly made but fallacious point. Our national team, while not as good as Englands (marginally perhaps....), is still competing at the highest level.

A LoI isnt; even when the CL/Europa come around, the LoI team is out before the All-Ireland Finals have been played.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Watching your team live doesn't make you more of a fan. Makes you more dedicated to pumping money into your team alright though.
    In fairness, being there to cheer on the team is showing more support for them than watching it on tv. Not really an issue for big English teams who constantly are close to capacity, but it is for smaller teams.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

http://www.football-corner.org/2010/04/18/irish-people-supporting-english-teams/

Ask 100 Irish people what football team they support and chances are, 99 of them will say they support an English team. Ask those 99 people who they want to win the World Cup this summer and chances are, 98 of them will say something along the lines of : “I just hope England don’t ****in’ win it.” It is one thing I have never understood as someone who goes to watch his favourite team, Bohs, play every Friday night. Why barstoolers, as they are more commonly known, “support” an English team week in week out, yet when it comes to the English national team, all they want to do is see them fail.
    An Irish Manchester United “fan” would simply adore a player like Wayne Rooney every weekend by wearing their replica jerseys with “Rooney 10″ on the back, however when it comes to Rooney lining up in the white of England, they want to see him lose.
    It is a sad fact of life that as thousands upon thousands of “football fans” in Ireland sit in the pub every Saturday afternoon to “support” their favourite team from behind a TV screen, the majority of League of Ireland clubs continue to struggle to attract more than 3,000 people to a game every Friday night.
    The majority of barstoolers will blame the quality of the league as the reason why they don’t bother spending €15 to go and actually watch a game of football. “Ah, I watched a game on the telly last week and it was ****e” is something I hear quite a lot. These people think they know everything about the club they “support” from behind a TV screen. They refer to the likes of Liverpool as “we” and they go on talking about why Rafa has to be sacked for weeks on end.
    The large majority of Irish people have absolutely no connection with the English club they “support” and yet they still refer to the English club as “we”. It really does sicken me when I scroll down through FaceBook on a Saturday evening looking at my friends status updates and I’ll I can see is : “Rooney, you absolute legend” or “Come on Liverpool, we have these pricks.”
    I have no problem with an Irish person having a favourite English team but the thing that really gets to me is the fact they simply can’t be bothered getting of their arse on a Friday night to go and support our domestic league. I don’t understand how they call themselves football fans when the only time they ever actually watch a game of football is on the telly.
    Barstoolers will never feel what a proper football fan feels. They will go over to Old Trafford or Anfield once a season and think they are great because they travelled so far to support their club but in actual fact they are just customers.
    They will never feel the heartache of a real fan when his side concede in the last minute to be knocked out of the cup. They will never feel the jubilation of a real fan as he runs onto the pitch to celebrate with his heroes after his side have just won the league.
    Even as a Bohs fan, I have far more respect for a Shamrock Rovers fan than I do for a barstooler.
    The League of Ireland will survive for the simple reason that some people in this country actually enjoy going to watch live football and not just sit in a bar or sit at home, pretending to be a real fan.

I'm a Liverpool fan, and I agree with this article. A large proportion of fans of english football teams are clueless and don't know what it means to actually support a team.

In fairness, being there to cheer on the team is showing more support for them than watching it on tv. Not really an issue for big English teams who constantly are close to capacity, but it is for smaller teams.

Fair enough.

Personally I can't afford (student) to get over to the Emirates every second weekend. We also don't have Sky Sports in the house. I watch every game I can though when I'm not in work or have a game myself, be it on tv or a stream.

I've been to several LOI games, although that was about 4 years ago, my uncle brought me to about a half dozen Bohs games as he was involved in the club at the time. But I have to say it really holds absolutely no interest for me.

Someone who gets themselves down to Dalymount or Tolka every second game is more dedicated about getting to see their team than me, sure.

But I don't think it makes them more of a fan than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If this was the case why don't more Irish people support La Liga or Serie A as clubs from those countries have been equally or more successful than English clubs. You don't think there's an inherent "Anglo affinity"?

I'm a Liverpool fan, and I agree with this article. A large proportion of fans of english football teams are clueless and don't know what it means to actually support a team.

:D:confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Oh for sure. People prefer to support teams in different ways tbh. I find watching football on tv, whether it's Bohs, an English team or Champions league, to be a watered down experience. But that's just how I feel. I'm not going to chastise others for there own perspective. I do find it rather depressing though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Well I have certainly being very well excepted by locals, very very friendly people imo who actually have huge respect for the effort I make.

Ush1 wrote: »
    If this was the case why don't more Irish people support La Liga or Serie A as clubs from those countries have been equally or more successful than English clubs. You don't think there's an inherent "Anglo affinity"?

Of course there is; we have absorbed most of their culture. No reason football should be any different. The 'quality' is broadly at the same level in the major European countries; we just go to the one that we are most familiar with/influenced by.

The reason I dont want England to win the world cup is because their media and scum fans.

And the Irish media are not the same??? as for the fans, bit of a generalisation there, actually I would say its a bit insulting.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

Personally I can't afford (student) to get over to the Emirates every second weekend. We also don't have Sky Sports in the house. I watch every game I can though when I'm not in work or have a game myself, be it on tv or a stream.

I've been to several LOI games, although that was about 4 years ago, my uncle brought me to about a half dozen Bohs games as he was involved in the club at the time. But I have to say it really holds absolutely no interest for me.

Someone who gets themselves down to Dalymount or Tolka every second game is more dedicated about getting to see their team than me, sure.

If you don't go to watch the team in person and hardly ever watch the matches at all, why do you support a team from London?

If you don't go to watch the team in person and hardly ever watch the matches at all, why do you support a team from London?

You misunderstood me.

I go out of my way to make sure I see nearly every game, be it on tv or through a stream, failing that I'll listen to it on the radio.

Exceptions being if I'm in work (in which case I'll be in and out of the pub next door catching glimpses of the game) or I have a game myself.

You misunderstood me.

I go out of my way to make sure I see nearly every game, be it on tv or through a stream, failing that I'll listen to it on the radio.

Exceptions being if I'm in work (in which case I'll be in and out of the pub next door catching glimpses of the game) or I have a game myself.

Right, but do you, or have you ever been to see the team in person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

OPENROAD wrote: »
    And the Irish media are not the same??? as for the fans, bit of a generalisation there, actually I would say its a bit insulting.

not if you wer in landsdown road the year they came....... i dont think its insulting... England fans are scum

Right, but do you, or have you ever been to see the team in person?

Nope.

Why?

• Advertisement

Nope.

Why?

I don't understand why you support a team from London if that's the case. In fact I'd go so far as saying the LOI fan who goes to Dalymount for every match is a bigger fan of his/her team.

not if you wer in landsdown road the year they came....... i dont think its insulting... England fans are scum

I was and believe it or not I actually spoke to some genuine England fans before the match and the look of disgust and embarrassment and how their faces drained when the low wattage idiots came along would suggest otherwise, you can't tar everyone with the same brush, do you want Spain and Italy to lose becuase of the way certain Spanish and Italian people behave at club matches?

You mean the National Front/Combat 18 are scum.

Why would England fans be any different to ManU or Chelsea fans? They are the same people.

I don't understand why you support a team from London if that's the case. In fact I'd go so far as saying the LOI fan who goes to Dalymount for every match is a bigger fan of his/her team.

Why though?

I watch the majority of our games every season. And I'd imagine I'd watch the same percentage of our games as your average LOI fan does of their teams games, only not live.

As for why you can't understand why I support a team from London:
    I've been to a few LOI games and it held absolutely zero interest for me.
    Arsenal however, I love to watch play.

Way to go to paint broad brush strokes. All England fans are not scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why does location matter? Do you only watch Irish TV? Listen to Irish bands? Doubt it, so why must one support Irish clubs?

Way to go to paint broad brush strokes. All England fans are not scum.

not every each single individual....

but a lot of them are.

And yes... i will use examples like this to back up why I think they are.

but a lot of them are.

Again you are generalising, lumping the majority in with the small minority

You are a man utd fan?

Do you want Holland, Spain and Italy to lose also?

but a lot of them are.

And yes... i will use examples like this to back up why I think they are.

Can you tell me how many England fans as a % are 'scum'?

This thread backs up the point I made earlier on this thread. The OP references a post from another forum that is poorly written and poorly argued, but because it echoes his own thoughts on the subject it is an "excellent article"

To address one point from the OP: I support an English team, and while I will not actively support their national team in South Africa I wish them well all the same, and will look out for any Spurs player in the squad.

As a Bohs fan, would the OP support the national team of any foreign players who play for Bohs?

You dont seem to get the irony here. I asssume you support Spurs because you beleive its a superior standard of league. Now surely using that logic should you not support the English team, because they are superior to our own?

And to answer your other point yeah I would actively "follow" national team a Bohs player played for and I watched Lithuania matches when Kalonas was playing for us.
    Columbia wrote: »
    There was no local Irish league team for me as I grew up, I'm not suddenly going to "pick one" at random now that I'm in my 20's and living near Dublin.

I've supported Everton becase of family connections since before I went to school, cried my eyes out for them more than once as a kid, and these days I spend far more money than I can really afford constantly flying/sailing back and forth between Dublin and Liverpool. What do I do? Forget all that and arbitrarily decide to support an Irish team that I don't give a flying eff about? Why? because it makes me a "true fan" in the estimation of some narrow-minded people? Yeah, good shout there.

Purely out of interest where are you from? And are you actually trying to tell me that Liverpool is nearer to you than the nearest town in Ireland with a LOI club.

And if you are using a vague family connection as an excuse to justify supporting Liverpool. Do you have any family in Dublin? Because if you were use that logic you should be supporting Bohs/Rovers.

Firstly I didnt write the article. I enjoyed reading it but I didnt write it. Right you say Irish people support these teams because they are successful. So conversly using that logic these people wont support them if they are not succesful ala Leeds.

If you are not with a team during the bads times then you are not a proper supporter. Its easy following a team that wins most weeks.

The difference between basketball and soccer is that there are very few players playing it whilst soccer is the largerst sport in Ireland in terms of playing numbers. If you had the Harlem Globetrotters playing every week in Croke Park you would not get massive support of it because people in Ireland would have no appreciation for it.

Again I did not make that point as I did not write the article but I completly agree with it. As much as it pains me to say it I would have more respect for a Rovers fans than I would for a Man Utd "follower".

Somebody who watches matches in a bar or in their house does not have similar interests to me. I remember watching the Salzburg match in Austria on the telly and it is nothing like being there in the person.

And as I agree with the authors points these people who I have a lack of respect for arent fellow fans because they dont watch their team every week. They follow a team in England because its successful and therefore have nothing in common with me.

This sums it up. Its all about the product. Forget League of Ireland for a moment. it applies to every sport. How many watch AIL compared to Celtic League or Heineken Cup. GAA attendances in the summer are larger than national league games. Fans want to be entertained.
    Thats the bottom line.

Thats representitive of the Irish sporting population. We only support teams throgh the good times. If Leinster and Munster were to suddenly win nothing and come bottom of the Magners League week in week out they would experience a serious drop in support.

Again as I have alluded to previously supporting a team means being with them through the good times and the bad no matter what happens.

Your using the standard of the league as a reason why we dont support our own league. Look at this website and scroll down to Poland.
    http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attncontent.htm

Would you conider SP Zawisza Bydgoszcz with an average attendance of 4,000 to be of a superior standard to your average Bohs game?

• Advertisement

Can you tell me how many England fans as a % are 'scum'?

A percentage..... ah sure.. il say 48%

Why though?

I watch the majority of our games every season. And I'd imagine I'd watch the same percentage of our games as your average LOI fan does of their teams games, only not live.

As for why you can't understand why I support a team from London:
    I've been to a few LOI games and it held absolutely zero interest for me.
    Arsenal however, I love to watch play.

I'm sorry, I have a much different view as to what it means to actually support a football team. You may as well be 'supporting' your local cinema. And does the song 'one nil to the Arsenal' mean anything to you?

I'm sorry, I have a much different view as to what it means to actually support a football team. You may as well be 'supporting' your local cinema. And does the song 'one nil to the Arsenal' mean anything to you?

In fairness says he is a student, it is obviously going to be very hard for him to get over.

Well by supporting a LOI club you may as well be supporting your local cinema also no?

Yes it does, but it's usually more along the lines of 3-1 or 4-2 to the Arsenal these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

whatever team makes you happy, lifes too short for this arguement.

And would you not consider the more dedicated fan to be a better supporter?

And how do you know what Irish people act like when they go abroad to games? Unless you've done it?

Lol, no-one pretends their English. They just support an English club.

I know it because I have family in London who grew up beside Standford Bridge. Fifteen years ago very few paddies supported them. Now theres thousands who come over every week. And I can tell you now all the Irish pretend they are English when they go over. And although they appreciate the success Abrahamovich has brought them they abseloutly hate all the Asians and Irish who have only started supporting them since they have become succeessful.

Also you say nobosy pretend they're Irish? Are you actually having a laugh mate? What sort of accents do they put on when they are singing the likes of "Glory Glory Man Utd"? Dublin accents do you think? Come off it mate.

Right you say Irish people support these teams because they are successful. So conversly using that logic these people wont support them if they are not succesful ala Leeds. ?

No; there are many reasons why people follow teams - and these decisions are taken usually when people are about 8. It isnt a logical decision, by any means. Supporting any football team is not a logical issue at all. But there are many factors that lead to people supporting EPL teams; they are familiar, succesful, generally play good footballl and play at the highest level of football.
    The difference between basketball and soccer is that there are very few players playing it whilst soccer is the largerst sport in Ireland in terms of playing numbers.

So what?; the point is that people support a team which play at the elite level, even if that is a foreign team. Why support a team that plays your sport substandardly in a substandard league?
    As much as it pains me to say it I would have more respect for a Rovers fans than I would for a Man Utd "follower".

Why does it #pain you to say it'? Why do you have to force yourself to 'respect' a Rovers fan? Isnt that a sad reflection on you and your supposed 'support'? Why does supporting Team X lead to a dimunition in the respect you give to a fan of Team Y, particularly where you have so much in common with the supporter of Team Y? Its pretty pathetic really.

And although they appreciate the success Abrahamovich has brought them they abseloutly hate all the Asians and Irish who have only started supporting them since they have become succeessful.

So your taking an isolated incident and applying it to all Irish EPL fans?

I'm sure there's also plenty of English Chelsea fans who didn't start properly supporting / going to games until the Abromovic money rolled in.

Well by supporting a LOI club you may as well be supporting your local cinema also no?

Yes it does, but it's usually more along the lines of 3-1 or 4-2 to the Arsenal these days

No, you may as well not be supporting your local cinema. If you visit Dalymount (for example) every week, you'll get to see an actual game of decent football from all angles, not the overhyped sky tv nonsense spoon fed to all of us wee in week out. You'll get to know fellow fans who support the team home and away, enjoying the trips for all their worth, and you, as a result, will have stories to tell with regards your support of the team. You will also get to know the tradition behind the club, the locality and what it means to actually support the club for numerous different reasons. You'll understand it's history and traditions and so, in my opinion, can call yourself a fan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Stopped reading at "Barstoolers."

Tedious rubbish.

Advertisement