Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent Article about Barstoolers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

OPENROAD wrote: »
    In fairness says he is a student, it is obviously going to be very hard for him to get over.

Well then what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

A percentage..... ah sure.. il say 48%

What % of ManU fans are scum?
    Or L'Pool?
    Or Chelsea?
    etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Madworld wrote: »
    And would you not consider the more dedicated fan to be a better supporter?

I know it because I have family in London who grew up beside Standford Bridge. Fifteen years ago very few paddies supported them. Now theres thousands who come over every week. And I can tell you now all the Irish pretend they are English when they go over. And although they appreciate the success Abrahamovich has brought them they abseloutly hate all the Asians and Irish who have only started supporting them since they have become succeessful.

Also you say nobosy pretend they're Irish? Are you actually having a laugh mate? What sort of accents do they put on when they are singing the likes of "Glory Glory Man Utd"? Dublin accents do you think? Come off it mate.

I'm Irish and support Arsenal, I don't pretend to be English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

drkpower wrote: »
    That is a commonly made but fallacious point. Our national team, while not as good as Englands (marginally perhaps....), is still competing at the highest level.

A LoI isnt; even when the CL/Europa come around, the LoI team is out before the All-Ireland Finals have been played.

The highest level? We have qualified for one World Cup and no European Championships in the last fifteen years. Would you consider that the highest level? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It makes him happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Cause he won't be a student forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

No, you may as well not be supporting your local cinema. If you visit Dalymount (for example) every week, you'll get to see an actual game of decent football from all angles, not the overhyped sky tv nonsense spoon fed to all of us wee in week out. You'll get to know fellow fans who support the team home and away, enjoying the trips for all their worth, and you, as a result, will have stories to tell with regards your support of the team. You will also get to know the tradition behind the club, the locality and what it means to actually support the club for numerous different reasons. You'll understand it's history and traditions and so, in my opinion, can call yourself a fan.

You can be a fan without going to live games.

So because I can't afford to go to England and don't like the LOI I'm not allowed support football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That article makes me cringe.

Was going to point out how bad it is but really can't be bothered.

The highest level? We have qualified for one World Cup and no European Championships in the last fifteen years. Would you consider that the highest level? :confused:

Yes; my American Football team, the NY Jets, have only made the (post-season) play-offs twice in about 15 years - but they still compete at the highest level of American Football.

No offfence, but your argument is a little silly; you could take it a step further and say that England dont compete at the highest level because they havent made it past the QFs in 15 years....

There is no comparison between the level Ireland compete in international football and the level LoI clubs compete in club football.

Frisbee wrote: »
    You can be a fan without going to live games.

So because I can't afford to go to England and don't like the LOI I'm not allowed support football?

Yes, you can be a 'fan'. But you are not a true supporter. Thinking otherwise is nonsense. Again, to put it into context, even if you ever did manage to make it to London, you may as well be a fan of crete.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The argument that Scousers, Mancunians, Londoners hate the Irish coming over is a load of bollix, tbh. I've never been anything but warmly welcomed anytime I've been in Mancheser, never moreso than before the Liverpool game in March. Me and one of the girls and her little sister were in a pub(well, the tent outside) singing as loud as we could(in Irish accents;)) with the 'hardcore fans' ie, scumbags and they were shocked that we sang with them, I didn't know whether to be proud or embarrassed.:o

Frisbee wrote: »
    Watching your team live doesn't make you more of a fan.

I disagree. How can anyone following a team in England not have made it to at least one game? There's no comparison to watching a game live and having the crack in the supporters pubs beforehand.

I try to get to a couple of games a season at Anfield. It usually doesnt cost a whole pile. Tickets are cost price and ryanair are decent when booked in advance.

I'd like to get to more but flights from Shannon and Knock are infrequent and I usually have to fly from Dublin and involves time off work which I dont have much of. Also Liverpool have been playing most Sundays which has scuppered plans off late :( Better get used to ot as Europa Cup on the cards next year too.

England fans are scum

Thats a big brush you are using there.

There's scum in every country including green little Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes, you can be a 'fan'. But you are not a true supporter. Thinking otherwise is nonsense. Again, to put it into context, even if you ever did manage to make it to London, you may as well be a fan of crete.

LOL. Priceless. Says who may I ask? Is this in the 'How to be a true supporter' LOI handbook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Of course there is; we have absorbed most of their culture. No reason football should be any different. The 'quality' is broadly at the same level in the major European countries; we just go to the one that we are most familiar with/influenced by.

Yep, broadly speaking it is but 99% of football fans in Ireland still support only English clubs.

LOL. Priceless. Says who may I ask? Is this in the 'How to be a true supporter' LOI handbook?

You see, now you are presuming I am banging the LOI drum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

hah haa..u said banging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You see, now you are presuming I am banging the LOI drum.

I don't know what drum you're banging tbh. I'd love to know where the rules for being a true supporter are laid out.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep, broadly speaking it is but 99% of football fans in Ireland still support only English clubs.

And 99% of people only watch English soaps. You dont see us importing the Italian or Spanish versions of Corrie. Gravitating to the closest major league playing high level football is perfectly expected. Especially given the historical football connections between us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

And 99% of people only watch English soaps. You dont see us importing the Italian or Spanish versions of Corrie. Gravitating to the closest major league playing high level football is perfectly expected. Especially given the historical football connections between us.

Don't be silly. Football is a visual spectacle. Comparing it to foreign soaps is far from akin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What % of ManU fans are scum?
    Or L'Pool?
    Or Chelsea?
    etc....

Wheres Elijah wood?

I don't know what made me cringe more, the guy in the white/black sweater jumping around like the leader of a tribe doing a ceremonial dance or the movie Green Street :o.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    Don't be silly. Football is a visual spectacle. Comparing it to foreign soaps is far afrom akin.

Im not comparing it; Ive already made my point - that it is entirely expected that we would gravitate (almost exclusively) to the the closest major league playing high level football, especially given the historical football connections between us.

I am merely pointing out that we have so gravitated in every other field of endeavour (including soaps) and there is no good reason why we wouldnt in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Still a terrible article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Well I think its safe to say this thread went how we expected with a lot of retarded views.

Great way to try and raise interest in the LOI, good job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

You dont seem to get the irony here. I asssume you support Spurs because you beleive its a superior standard of league. Now surely using that logic should you not support the English team, because they are superior to our own?

You know what they say about assuming, though in this case it speaks volumes about you rather than me...;)

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Well I think its safe to say this thread went how we expected with a lot of retarded views.

Great way to try and raise interest in the LOI, good job!

unlike your own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

unlike your own?

I really have no idea how to respond to this.

Good day sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What a load of drivel.

Basically another LOI fan with a massive chip on his shoulder. We've heard it all before.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    The sad thing is that these sort of articles do the league more harm than good.

Why would anyone pop along to their local ground if they're going to be met by attitudes like that?

The key is co-existence and a balance between the two leagues.

Couldn't agree more with all the quoted posts above.

The key is a balance between the two leagues. This absolute drivel is going to drive more people away than anything else. Its a bit like complaining how sore your foot is, whilst shooting yourself in it (repeatedly). The childish name calling and labelling of others ("barstoolers", seriously, are you 5?), because they don't agree with your minority view is laughable at best.

LoI needs to be welcoming, not alienating. Thats the bottom line really.

You know what they say about assuming, though in this case it speaks volumes about you rather than me...;)

Why do you support tottenham hotspur?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

http://www.football-corner.org/2010/04/18/irish-people-supporting-english-teams/

Ask 100 Irish people what football team they support and chances are, 99 of them will say they support an English team. Ask those 99 people who they want to win the World Cup this summer and chances are, 98 of them will say something along the lines of : “I just hope England don’t ****in’ win it.” It is one thing I have never understood as someone who goes to watch his favourite team, Bohs, play every Friday night. Why barstoolers, as they are more commonly known, “support” an English team week in week out, yet when it comes to the English national team, all they want to do is see them fail.
    An Irish Manchester United “fan” would simply adore a player like Wayne Rooney every weekend by wearing their replica jerseys with “Rooney 10″ on the back, however when it comes to Rooney lining up in the white of England, they want to see him lose.
    It is a sad fact of life that as thousands upon thousands of “football fans” in Ireland sit in the pub every Saturday afternoon to “support” their favourite team from behind a TV screen, the majority of League of Ireland clubs continue to struggle to attract more than 3,000 people to a game every Friday night.
    The majority of barstoolers will blame the quality of the league as the reason why they don’t bother spending €15 to go and actually watch a game of football. “Ah, I watched a game on the telly last week and it was ****e” is something I hear quite a lot. These people think they know everything about the club they “support” from behind a TV screen. They refer to the likes of Liverpool as “we” and they go on talking about why Rafa has to be sacked for weeks on end.
    The large majority of Irish people have absolutely no connection with the English club they “support” and yet they still refer to the English club as “we”. It really does sicken me when I scroll down through FaceBook on a Saturday evening looking at my friends status updates and I’ll I can see is : “Rooney, you absolute legend” or “Come on Liverpool, we have these pricks.”
    I have no problem with an Irish person having a favourite English team but the thing that really gets to me is the fact they simply can’t be bothered getting of their arse on a Friday night to go and support our domestic league. I don’t understand how they call themselves football fans when the only time they ever actually watch a game of football is on the telly.
    Barstoolers will never feel what a proper football fan feels. They will go over to Old Trafford or Anfield once a season and think they are great because they travelled so far to support their club but in actual fact they are just customers.
    They will never feel the heartache of a real fan when his side concede in the last minute to be knocked out of the cup. They will never feel the jubilation of a real fan as he runs onto the pitch to celebrate with his heroes after his side have just won the league.
    Even as a Bohs fan, I have far more respect for a Shamrock Rovers fan than I do for a barstooler.
    The League of Ireland will survive for the simple reason that some people in this country actually enjoy going to watch live football and not just sit in a bar or sit at home, pretending to be a real fan.

I would consider myself a Liverpool Fan
    I have watched 8 games of real live football this weekend.
    Why dont LOI fans and clubs go out and support the real football community in Ireland? Until Licencing deemed it necessary many didnt even have a schoolboy section some still cant be bothered. No roots in a community and you wonder why the best players dont got to LOI clubs and kids in the area dont grow up picking their local LOI club first?
    Frankly your comments are ridiculous emplying you are more of a football fan/supporter than me who gives 30 hrs min to my LOCAL DDSL/LSL club.

By you're logic all rovers fans outside tallaght should change team
    All Pats fans in Tallaght should now follow rovers
    Should Shels fans turn to SF? :D

Also a Rovers season ticket holder but will never call myself a fan no affianity to them and some of the football i've seen since they moved to tallaght has put people to sleep

• Advertisement

Why do you support tottenham hotspur?

Because I grew up with no link or connection to the LOI, in a GAA family, with an uncle who supported them being my idol and around the time Ossie and Ricky Villa played. My first memory of Spurs was my dad convincing my mum to allow me to stay up and watch the 1984 UEFA Cup final (2nd leg), and I've since met the goal scorer and captain that night (Graham Roberts) and told him it's his fault I support the shower of sh1te.

I was 15 before I attended my first LOI game at Tolka Park, went pretty regularly for a few years, but have tailed off as time has gone by due to other commitments.

I make no apologies for the fact that I rank Spurs above Shelbourne in terms of priority in my life, I have supported Spurs since I was seven, Shels since my mid-teens. i don't really care if you or others think my support is inauthentic, I don't look to randomers on the internet for validation and if I did it would be from a bird with big tits, not a football fan with a chip on his shoulder.

I am approaching my 6th year as a season ticket holder, the year I first purchased mine they could be picked up on the opening day of the season so I can hardly be accused of pricing locals out of attending games at the Lane. I have travelled Europe with them, from Tel Aviv to Seville (the latter where I was beaten by a Spanish riot policeman), and attend an average of 25 games home and away every season.

I have never been laughed at by other Spurs fans, myself and others are made very welcome when we attend games, and I am considered a "local" in the pub I drink in near the ground (incidently, it is owned by a Wexford man).

I do hope that has been of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Play us out Keyboard Cat.

I don't look to randomers on the internet for validation and if I did it would be from a bird with big tits, not a football fan with a chip on his shoulder.

Brilliant!; i'll have to remember that one!

Because I grew up with no link or connection to the LOI, in a GAA family, with an uncle who supported them being my idol and around the time Ossie and Ricky Villa played. My first memory of Spurs was my dad convincing my mum to allow me to stay up and watch the 1984 UEFA Cup final (2nd leg), and I've since met the goal scorer and captain that night (Graham Roberts) and told him it's his fault I support the shower of sh1te.

I was 15 before I attended my first LOI game at Tolka Park, went pretty regularly for a few years, but have tailed off as time has gone by due to other commitments.

I make no apologies for the fact that I rank Spurs above Shelbourne in terms of priority in my life, I have supported Spurs since I was seven, Shels since my mid-teens. i don't really care if you or others think my support is inauthentic, I don't look to randomers on the internet for validation and if I did it would be from a bird with big tits, not a football fan with a chip on his shoulder.

I am approaching my 6th year as a season ticket holder, the year I first purchased mine they could be picked up on the opening day of the season so I can hardly be accused of pricing locals out of attending games at the Lane. I have travelled Europe with them, from Tel Aviv to Seville (the latter where I was beaten by a Spanish riot policeman), and attend an average of 25 games home and away every season.

I have never been laughed at by other Spurs fans, myself and others are made very welcome when we attend games, and I am considered a "local" in the pub I drink in near the ground (incidently, it is owned by a Wexford man).

Apart from the fact you are replying, in detail, to a 'randomer', with all due respect, you are rightly classed as a fan if what you say is true, well done and a credit to you.

By the way, my mother used to manage a pub round the corner from white hart lane. I remember throwing snowballs at the locals from the upstairs windows as a kid. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Apart from the fact you are replying, in detail, to a 'randomer', with all due respect, you are rightly classed as a fan if what you say is true, well done and a credit to you.

So will we all PM you the reasons why we support the team we do, just so you can validate them and weed out the 'true supporters' from the rest?

By the way, my mother used to manage a pub round the corner from white hart lane. I remember throwing snowballs at the locals from the upstairs windows as a kid. ;)

And looked how nicely you have turned out now :D

• Advertisement

So will we all PM you the reasons why we support the team we do, just so you can validate them and weed out the 'true supporters' from the rest?

Only if you are not sure.

And looked how nicely you have turned out now :D

Of course.

This is a good day for your Recklesstone. See what I mean?

This is a good day for your Recklesstone. See what I mean?

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

[url]
    Ask 100 Irish people what football team they support and chances are, 99 of them will say they support an English team. Ask those 99 people who they want to win the World Cup this summer and chances are, 98 of them will say something along the lines of : “I just hope England don’t ****in’ win it.”[/url]

so, its an excellent article yet it begins with made up 'facts' based on hearsay and conjecture.

derp de derp de derp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

really is an awful article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

lol at the point about liking rooney one minute, then hating him the next. doesnt the same thing happen with liverpool supporters everytime england play? they call him a fat bastard week in week out, then a legend when hes playing for england. that point has no validity in this article.

This article can be condensed to one line:
    More people should be like me instead of supporting an ENGLISH team!

Plenty of filler though, with all the standard cliches and buzzwords. "Excellent" :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

This always gets me, so John Joe from County Mayo has a connection to Manchester Utd!?
    Mayo don't have a LOI team, so who do you suggest he should have a connection with? Maybe, like alot of people in Ireland he has relatives living in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc. and that is where his support has come about?

I'm a Cavan man, who do you suggest I should have a connection with?

Have to say Im really disappointed. I was told I would be getting an excellent article on Barstooling and 20 pages later still no sign of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

OP, you are wasting your time posting the likes of this article here in Barstooler HQ.

You might as well have titled your post "Please post a list of excuses why you arent like football fans anywhere else"

CiaranC wrote: »
    OP, you are wasting your time posting the likes of this article here in Barstooler HQ.

You might as well have titled your post "Please post a list of excuses why you arent like football fans anywhere else"
    Or Op can come up with an excellent article like his title suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have my views about support and the disbelief and mirth that I secretly feel based on that but I don't really read those articles anymore, or indeed want to argue with other football supporters about it. People are not for changing and the movement towards the majority supporting a handful of mega-teams seems to be becoming a global thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Right our National Team has been a shambles down throught the years. Would you start supporting the English team because of it?

Actually that's not a bad point. How would all those following a foreign club feel if they found out one of their Irish born fans friends supported France, England etc instead of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That article is not really great although i do agree with the sentiment in it.

I do have favourite teams in most of the european leagues but i only call myself a fan of 1 team.
    That is the team from the city i was born and raised.

Just wondering sometimes how Irish wearing Man Utd/Liverpool/ Arsenal/ Chelsea etc kits see themselves compared to people in Japan or China doing the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

inforfun wrote: »
    Just wondering sometimes how Irish wearing Man Utd/Liverpool/ Arsenal/ Chelsea etc kits see themselves compared to people in Japan or China doing the same thing?

Well personally I don't go around comparing myself to other people, or other sets of people. I do what ever makes me happy, and feels right. I don't go looking for high horses to sit on so I can call myself better than others. I don't try and justify myself to other people, who the f*ck are they to judge me for doing what makes me happy, what I enjoy. So in the same regarding who the f*ck am I to judge the people in China, Japan, England, or here for doing what they enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement