Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Excellent Article about Barstoolers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Lads it's way harder to support a team in England as they are farther away. Think of all the expense of flying, hotel, match tickets etc. That's dedication.

Meanwhile the League of Ireland fans hop on the luas for a few euro, tenner in.
    That's hardly dedication like, its right on your own doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

tenner in.

Where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Lads it's way harder to support a team in England as they are farther away. Think of all the expense of flying, hotel, match tickets etc. That's dedication.

Meanwhile the League of Ireland fans hop on the luas for a few euro, tenner in.
    That's hardly dedication like, its right on your own doorstep.

You HAVE to be trying to wind people up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    You HAVE to be trying to wind people up?

Why, I can relate to what he said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

stovelid wrote: »
    Nope.

A certain organization responsible for prioritizing the national team makes a hames of managing our league. Irish supporters of English clubs wouldn't understand as a competent football association (F.A) is in charge of the league they support.

So yes, some LOI fans have a good reason to feel indifferent towards, or even dislike, the Irish NT. And it's not just the one reason you mention, I've also read LOI fans giving out about the granny rule and using that as a reason. Which is all totally fair enough. And plenty of Irish and English fans of English clubs feel indifferent about the English NT. So what? That indifference towards the national teams, for all the varying reasons, is just not a big deal.

Des wrote: »
    Where?

http://shamrockrovers.ie/matchdays/match-tickets

Having a 'babyface' gets me in for a tenner.

My dad who is quite young but looks very old gets in for OAPs at a tenner too.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why, I can relate to what he said

So just because I can walk to the Sligo showgrounds on a Friday/Saturday makes me less dedicated than someone who has to take a plane to watch their team?.

That's what I get from his post, especially his last line.

So just because I can walk to the Sligo showgrounds on a Friday/Saturday makes me less dedicated than someone who has to take a plane to watch their team?.

Got it in one.

Well the LOI argument is that by supporting an EPL team I'm taking an easy option

• Advertisement

Laughable :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

http://shamrockrovers.ie/matchdays/match-tickets

Having a 'babyface' gets me in for a tenner.

My dad who is quite young but looks very old gets in for OAPs at a tenner too.

So you're robbing the club of an extra tenner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

In fairness I can understand why alot of people support EPL teams, if something is shoved down your throat enough, you eventually swallow.

Laughable :rolleyes:.

What is???

Ush1 wrote: »
    In fairness I can understand why alot of people support EPL teams, if something is shoved down your throat enough, you eventually swallow.

Really what about if you supported an English team pre the premier league when there was far less coverage??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

there was still coverage and the national team was full of players who played in England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Really what about if you supported an English team pre the premier league when there was far less coverage??

Not just about coverage. If your dad was sticking you in a Manchester United jersey before you had nappies, you didn't stand much of a chance.

Crosáidí wrote: »
    there was still coverage and the national team was full of players who played in England

Not to the same extent though, what were the Irish clubs up to at the time??

Not just about coverage. If your dad was sticking you in a Manchester United jersey before you had nappies, you didn't stand much of a chance.

Doesn't apply to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Nothing, I only remember LOI being televised from a couple of years ago

• Advertisement

What is???

The fact that someone bases fan dedication on how far you travel to a game.

I travel from Ireland to Germany, but it doesn't make me more dedicated than someone who travels from Ireland to England.

The fact that someone bases fan dedication on how far you travel to a game.

I travel from Ireland to Germany, but it doesn't make me more dedicated than someone who travels from Ireland to England.

I would agree but also I don't think I should be accused of taking the easy option supporting an English team when it is anything but the easy option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wobblyknees

I would agree but also I don't think I should be accused of taking the easy option supporting an English team when it is anything but the easy option.

It easy to follow a fashionable team who competes for some of the most popular trophies in the world in some of the best stadiums in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Is it easier than getting on a high horse.

It easy to follow a fashionable team who competes for some of the most popular trophies in the world in some of the best stadiums in the world.

Also very expensive, and as I said I would still support my team no matter what division they are in.

My Dad used to make me nappies out of man united jerseys :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Also very expensive, and as I said I would still support my team no matter what division they are in.
    He's got a point about supporting l'arse to be fair - fly over, meet the lads in one of the many pubs around, head to a plush ground full of rather polite people, watch some sexy football from a spacious and comfy seat, get an overpriced hotdog and a beer at half time, watch some more sexy football and then head back to the pub to (usually) toast another win.

I went to a Bray game some time ago and it killed any thoughts I had of getting into the LOI. Truly a grim place.

baz2009 wrote: »
    So you're robbing the club of an extra tenner?

Maybe if more people weren't barstoolers and turned up for LOI games they could drop the prices to something I could afford!

He's got a point about supporting l'arse to be fair - fly over, meet the lads in one of the many pubs around, head to a plush ground full of rather polite people, watch some sexy football from a spacious and comfy seat, get an overpriced hotdog and a beer at half time, watch some more sexy football and then head back to the pub to (usually) toast another win.

I went to a Bray game some time ago and it killed any thoughts I had of getting into the LOI. Truly a grim place.

Oh I don't deny I love the facilities at The Emirates especially the salt beef sandwich :D and at Highbury in The North bank before,the facilities were great with the live band before matches, buy they didn't always have these facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

rarnes1 wrote: »
    My Dad used to make me nappies out of man united jerseys :pac:

I almost think a Utd-Pool argument would be more productive here :p

Oh I don't deny I love the facilities at The Emirates especially the salt beef sandwich :D and at Highbury in The North bank before,the facilities were great with the live band before matches, buy they didn't always have these facilities.

The Emirates is an amazing stadium. Loved my visit there.

No offence, but I doubt this to be honest.

In fairness you don't know me or don't know how often I go to see my team, or how long I have been going to see my team :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I have no doubt he probably would. But would he have started following them if they were in the 7th tier of English football? Would he fcuk.

The idea that going over to London to watch one of the most expensively assembled teams in the world in a top tier stadium is a chore is laughable. If he was a Brentford fan he might get some kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I have no doubt he probably would. But would he have started following them if they were in the 7th tier of English football? Would he fcuk.

The idea that going over to London to watch one of the most expensively assembled teams in the world in a top tier stadium is a chore is laughable. If he was a Brentford fan he might get some kudos.

So being a fan is assessed on the success and financial nature of your club?

• Advertisement

You are probably correct, I would probably not have supported them if they were in the 7th tier, I will give you that, but they were not.

As I said what the LOI need to do is to market the league better and to get people when they are young, once you get someone when they are young chances are you will have them for life.

Where have I said it is a chore to go over to London and support them, it was suggested it was an easy optionm which I said it was anything but, my bank balance would certainly be a lot better if I did not support Arsenal.

Frisbee wrote: »
    No, your hardkoreness is dependent on the amount of sadomasochism you indulge in during the pursuit of following your team. Bonus points are awarded if you strip down naked and flagellate yourself during half time at matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

(Are you just going to do drive-bys in this thread?)

No-one has said that, what ONYD is saying that at the time people who support English teams decided to support the team they do, there was no chance of them supporting Rochdale or Doncaster, because they weren't in the top tier at the time.

It's all very well saying "Yeah, well if Arsenal got relegated and bombed I'd still support them", so bleedin what, the fact is that you started supporting them when they were relatively successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What five year old child would start supporting a losing team unless they were pushed into it?
    Be realistic like.

No-one has said that, what ONYD is saying that at the time people who support English teams decided to support the team they do, there was no chance of them supporting Rochdale or Doncaster, because they weren't in the top tier at the time.

It's all very well saying "Yeah, well if Arsenal got relegated and bombed I'd still support them", so bleedin what, the fact is that you started supporting them when they were relatively successful.

Des when you started supporting your team, where they in the top tier of the Irish league??

Does it matter who I support when I have the same passion for my team as you do for yours?

• Advertisement

Des when you started supporting your team, where they in the top tier of the Irish league??
    They were near the top of the English league I suspect :D

In fairness you don't know me or don't know how often I go to see my team, or how long I have been going to see my team :)

Of course I don't, I just doubt very much if you would be willing to spend so much to get to it to a non event, 1st Division mid table game vs Grimsby.

Of course I don't, I just doubt very much if you would be willing to spend so much to get to it to a non event, 1st Division mid table game vs Grimsby.

I can guarantee you I would ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I've almost double the amount of posts in this thread as you?

But what does it matter to people when someone started supporting a team?
    Or why they started supporting that particular team?

As I said earlier I've been to 6 or 7 LOI games and I was not interested in one of them.
    I support my brother who plays in DDSL and get to his matches whenever I can, and I can honestly say I've found watching his matches infinitely more interesting than the LOI games I've been to. (that could just be because I have a family attachment to the game though I suppose)

You are probably correct, I would probably not have supported them if they were in the 7th tier, I will give you that, but they were not.

As I said what the LOI need to do is to market the league better and to get people when they are young, once you get someone when they are young chances are you will have them for life.

Where have I said it is a chore to go over to London and support them, it was suggested it was an easy optionm which I said it was anything but, my bank balance would certainly be a lot better if I did not support Arsenal.

And this is what I think is wrong with the modern day football fan. Buy into a brand, spend lots of money to get to and enjoy plush stadiums, and then the team has to entertain, regardless as to how quiet the fans are during a match.

I've almost double the amount of posts in this thread as you?

But what does it matter to people when someone started supporting a team?
    Or why they started supporting that particular team?

As I said earlier I've been to 6 or 7 LOI games and I was not interested in one of them.
    I support my brother who plays in DDSL and get to his matches whenever I can, and I can honestly say I've found watching his matches infinitely more interesting than the LOI games I've been to. (that could just be because I have a family attachment to the game though I suppose)

It could also be because you have an actual reason for supporting this team.

And this is what I think is wrong with the modern day football fan. Buy into a brand, spend lots of money to get to and enjoy plush stadiums, and then the team has to entertain, regardless as to how quiet the fans are during a match.

It may well be, in that case why does it bother you who that more people are not supporting LOI if you don't want to get more fans following the league

False dichotomy; it could be a lot more welcoming to newbies without sacrificing atmosphere or whatever else traditional football fans cherish.

I can guarantee you I would ;)

Well if that's true, well done. I do honestly think most fans of teams currently challenging for the PL would stop going if they stopped competing, let alone dropped down a division or two. It's just anecdotal evidence, but I remember there being many more Leeds replica jerseys being worn circa 2000-01 compared to now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I stopped reading this about 10 pages in as it was the usual drivel that we get on boards from the Barstoolers vs LOI brigade... please... change the record!!!

People can support whoever the hell they like and for whatever reason. Drop the superiority complex already just because you watch LOI football. (Please note, i think the LOI superiority complex does not apply to all LOI fans)

A point about the majority of teams being from Dublin in the LOI i think is the biggest factor in the lack of support of the LOI outside of the greater dublin area... I grew up in Meath. Who the hell should I support? Drogheda and all the Dublin teams are 50 KMs or more away. I have no association with any of these teams. I played for my local club in the Meath & District league and I support Everton. Does that make me a barstooler?

For whatever reasons i may have I support Everton and Barcelona. They'd be my two teams. Everton since I was about 5 years old and Barca a few years after that when Gary Lineker left Everton for Barca! If they were good enough for Lineker, they were good enough for me ;)

I went to college in Dundalk and went regularly enough when i was there. I try to get to see Dundalk any time they play in Dublin. Its all down to time and if i get the chance to go... and lets be honest, the LOI isn't the best quality of football out there.

I also follow teams from many different countries that I have come across on my travels... I follow American Football. I don't have a local American Football team? Do I?

Everyone just needs to quit ranting and get on with their own support in whatever way that may be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement