Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Battle Frointier!

• 25-04-2010 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

Since the summer is coming up, why not try to get a tourney with a difference going. So I present to you the proposal to open the very first Boards.ie Battle Frontier! Also, it's worth noting ff this thing is a success, I'll probably setup a proper website for it (Or Even a Facebook Application, I could do with the coding experience).

The format:

Like in the Video Games, the BBF will not feature you're standard battling. It will be made up of Facilities, which are in turn run by a Brain who sets the rules and makes sure the rules are followed.

The Chairman:

The Chairman as of now is me. I might step down for some crazy reason in the future, but it's unlikely. I won't be taking part as a Brain, but I might challenge your Facility to see if you're up to the task of running it :)

The Brain:

To start off, we'll need three Brains. To apply to be a brain, you must nominate yourself here and get two recommendations from other boards members. Do not bug people over PM etc. to recommend you, if this is reported you'll lose your chance to be a brain and participate at all. It'll be first past the gate for this, so be sure to apply soon.

The Facility:

So brilliant, you've been selected to be a brain, now you must choose a name for your Facility. The name must be prefixed with the word "Battle", so stuff like Battle Park, Battle Heights or Battle Cave are fine, "The Dome" or "Room of Battles" are not. Also, no playing with the prefix, stay away from names like Battle-Go-Round.
    Now you must choose some rules for your Facility and run them by me. All Facilities however must have a maximum or 3 Pokemon for single battles and 4 for Double. Also, you can be a double or single facility, not both. It's possible if you have an awesome enough idea I might let you ignore this restriction, but it's unlikely. For this example, let's say someone wants to setup a Facility called the Battle Nursery with the following rules:
    • All pokemon must be in their most basic form, be it Baby or Stage 1. If they have no evolution, they are banned. Eg. A Eevee is fine but a Zangoose isn't.
    • The pokemon are only allowed hold berries, nothing else.
    The brain would then Pm or Email me with their idea, I'll either approve it or tell them to change something/start from scratch. Assuming it's approved, your Facility is now ready for battle!

Recruiting Facility Trainers:

A facility may have a maximum of three Trainers present. However, the following rules apply to keep things fair:
    • If a facility has one F. Trainer, the F. Trainer may not use any hold items
    • If a facility has two F. Trainers, they may not use any hold items and are restricted to 2 Pokemon in Single Battles and 3 in Double Battles
    • If a facility has the maximum 3 trainers, they may not use any hold items and are restricted restricted to 2 Pokemon and 3 in Double Battles. They are not allowed to switch Pokemon in battle.
    If a Brain wishes to change the amount of F. Trainers underneath them, they must consult both the Chairman and the current trainers first and make sure it's okay.

The Challenger:

So the regular Pokemon world of battle has left you bored and unfulfilled, and now you want to play with the big boys? Well no problem, just follow these guidelines:
    • First, read the Facilities rules and train up a party to fight. The rules of a Facility are set in stone once decided on, unless a glaring problem is overlooked, so don't worry about your work going to waste with a simple rule change, it won't happen.
    • Declare you challenge in this thread and also email/PM the brain to let them know in case they're away. You should privately schedule your matches with the F. Trainers for that facility beforehand.
    • You must send the chairman a datasheet for your pokemon for reference in case of a problem during the challenge. A template will be later provided.
    • Should you win or lose the battles, you should confirm you've finished on this thread, as should the brain/F. Trainer you won/lost against.
    The Seal:

If you manage to defeat the brain for a facility you win a seal. Unlike the Video Games, there is no Silver or Gold, it can be whatever the Brain chooses, embrace your creativity! :)

The Future - Becoming A Brain Later:

There are two ways you can become a Brain if you miss this chance:
    • Replace a former brain, either due to their retirement or disqualification for some reason
    • The BBF decides it is time to open a new facility
    For both, application will remain open for a brief period of time. Then, the Chairman and the Brains will pick a new Brain based on:
    • The Applicant's idea for the facility
    • The amount of seals the Applicant has earned
    • The Applicant's participation in the thread
    • Other stuff such as designing seals, character art etc. for existing facilities

Chosen Frontier Brains:

1. TheChrisD
    2. CianRyan
    3. Vacant
    Waiting for Recommendation:
    1. Example2(0 Recommendations)

So that's it, good luck and any feedback is welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

So want to put myself forward for being a Brain, although this is pretty much on the assumption I can get access to WFC anytime soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

TheChrisD wrote: »
    So want to put myself forward for being a Brain, although this is pretty much on the assumption I can get access to WFC anytime soon...
    Great, and I'll give you your first recommendation :) Can't you pick up those dongles quite cheap nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Thomas-G wrote: »
    Great, and I'll give you your first recommendation :) Can't you pick up those dongles quite cheap nowadays?

I already have the WiFi USB dongle, but it doesn't work with 64-bit Win 7 (if it even works with proper Win 7). I could use my laptop for it but since the Win 7 Beta expired and now it's on Linux...

TheChrisD wrote: »
    I already have the WiFi USB dongle, but it doesn't work with 64-bit Win 7 (if it even works with proper Win 7). I could use my laptop for it but since the Win 7 Beta expired and now it's on Linux...
    I remember reading on Lifehacker.com that y just typing something into command line you get 120 days more on Windows 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

I also recommend Chris. :)

• Advertisement

DKZ wrote: »
    I also recommend Chris. :)
    Hooray, our first brain! Now to get some more people to join in the fun, although if we have to launch this thing with one facility, it can be done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I'd be up for getting involved in this one. I'll have to try and sort out my wireless though. For some reason my DS doesn't like my router and is very picky about the times it likes to connect at.

Notorious wrote: »
    I'd be up for getting involved in this one. I'll have to try and sort out my wireless though. For some reason my DS doesn't like my router and is very picky about the times it likes to connect at.
    Lots of people seem to be in the same boat

Have been following this art contest on DeviantArt for a while now, some nice inspiration for trainer sprites there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Have been following this art contest on DeviantArt for a while now, some nice inspiration for trainer sprites there :)

Link?

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Link?
    Oh whoops, forgot to link in that post! Here ya go! http://pkmn-battle-frontier.deviantart.com/

Just going to give this one last bump before it fades into obscurity, if you know people on other sites that might be interested please let them know. Also, anyone participating will be in with a chance of beta testing a Facebook pokemon trainer app I'm developing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'll sticky it for a week or so, see if people are interested :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Go on then, I'll put myself out there.
    I think I've proved myself as a trainer and I've got a few ideas to work with.

What say you people, have I got your support?:)

I'll sticky it for a week or so, see if people are interested :)
    Thanks a million!
    CianRyan wrote: »
    Go on then, I'll put myself out there.
    I think I've proved myself as a trainer and I've got a few ideas to work with.

What say you people, have I got your support?:)
    You have my vote anyways :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'll second Cian. Looking forward to seeing your ideas :P

Denny M wrote: »
    I'll second Cian. Looking forward to seeing your ideas :P
    Good stuff, I can't edit the first post anymore, perhaps because this was stickied, so you'll have to take my word for it we have two brains :)

Good stuff, I can't edit the first post anymore, perhaps because this was stickied, so you'll have to take my word for it we have two brains :)

Edited it for ya :) You can only edit a post within a day or two.

Right, think that's long enough for applications, so they are now closed :) Congrats to the two brains TheChrisD and CianRyan, I think the best and easiest way to plan this thing right now is Google Wave, so if you both message me your google accounts I'll send you an invite.

I'll un-sticky this so.

• Advertisement

I'll un-sticky this so.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Any ideas for what teams we should be preparing? :)

wayhey wrote: »
    Any ideas for what teams we should be preparing? :)
    All will be revealed, but unless some things change, one of the facilities should be easy to prepare for

Advertisement