Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mileage rates..

Options
  • 25-04-2010 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be doing some work for a company over the next week or so and have a question about the mileage rate for travelling in my own car.

I have checked this link and it looks like the public service rate is nearly 78c for my car engine up to 4k miles. I'm aware that the rate in the private sector is lower but i'm not sure how much lower.

Whats a reasonable rate that I can charge? I was thinking around 65c per mile.

What do others charge and are there any other conditions to consider?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I was on 93C a Mile reduced to 73C a mile last month, working for a national newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 odonovanpm

The rates in the private sector (maximum) are the same as the public sector although each company can adopt their own policy. It's important to note that sole traders and partners cannot claim mileage - only employees and directors of companies are entitled to these rates.

<snip - please do not use this website to promote your own product>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

odonovanpm wrote: »
    It's important to note that sole traders and partners cannot claim mileage - only employees and directors of companies are entitled to these rates.

Say what now?

I'm a sole trader/business working under contract for a company who pays me milage.. Surely this is legit?

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I think what the would-be advertiser above meant to say was that sole traders and partners cannot claim mileage as a business expense, i.e. use it to reduce the tax bill.

Where you are charging mileage to a client I guess the civil service rate is the one to use for your engine size. Once your client is happy to pay the invoices, it appears in your books as income and is taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 odonovanpm

"Would be advertiser" - nice... If the original poster just wanted a figure to use when billing their client I completely misunderstood, in this case he can charge his client what he likes without the need for any form of compliance.

However, charging the client means he is paying tax on income which there is no need to???

He should obviously speak with his accountant about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

These are the updated mileage/subsistence rates

http://www.kpmg.ie/services/ies/publications/IES_alertbMar09.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hope some can help on this.......if your are claiming mileage as per the civil service rates does this rate include diesel/petrol or do you claim that separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

The rate includes the cost of desel/petrol, wear and tear etc.

You cannot also claim the actual cost as well. You opt for either the actual cost or the civil service rates. You cannot do both.

Kind Regards

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

odonovanpm wrote: »
    It's important to note that sole traders and partners cannot claim mileage

So what does a taxi driver claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

The actual receipts if they are a sole trader. They cannot use the civil service rates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement