Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching levels

Options
  • 25-04-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi, so I was wondering if it would be too late to switch from Higher to Ordinary or vice-versa. And if not, what is the deadline. Yes, I'm playing chicken with Leaving Cert, and losing...horribly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jfrmbray

You can decide on the day,thats why the orals are marked on a "common level" basis.

What are you considering dropping?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Depends on the subject, but you can change on the day.
    Talk to your teacher about changing maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

i don't think you can change to foundation irish on the day because foundation has a different oral to ordinary and higher

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Why you would want to change from Ordinary to Higher at this stage is beyond me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Considering dropping Classical Studies. I always think I'm alright at Higher, but every time I go back to something else on the course, like Alexander, its astonishing how much I'm mixing up names with people from a whole different book and getting facts completely wrong. The worst is Alexander where you have to study from TWO different books, sometimes having completely different names for certain people, and not to mention all the different years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pathway33 wrote: »
    i don't think you can change to foundation irish on the day because foundation has a different oral to ordinary and higher

You can change to foundation irish but I think you lose the marks from the oral. You can change level in any subject on the day.

You can change to foundation irish but I think you lose the marks from the oral. You can change level in any subject on the day.

That would make more sense because many students would not know about the rule I stated. Hardly surprising when it doesn't exist.

But I wonder how many know they lose their oral marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pathway33 wrote: »
    That would make more sense because many students would not know about the rule I stated. Hardly surprising when it doesn't exist.

But I wonder how many know they lose their oral marks.

I'd say there's quite a few, I remember 5 or 6 changing on the day in the school i work in a couple of years ago. They were warned of the consequences, but I don't think any of them were all that bothered as they weren't going to college anyway and if they were going to an IT, they didn't need Irish anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Changing from ordinary to foundation Irish does not lose you marks in you oral. The tape is simply listened to again and your level changed, yes the questions are different but it's the fairest way to do it. Don't change if you are panicking though, you can do a lot in a few weeks.

Changing from ordinary to foundation Irish does not lose you marks in you oral. The tape is simply listened to again and your level changed, yes the questions are different but it's the fairest way to do it.

So if someone had done the foundation oral and then realised the course they wanted to do required a pass in ordinary level irish, could they then change to the ordinary written and aural exam in June having done the easy foundation oral with the pre-defined questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Have never ever heard of that. But in fairness, you've only a few weeks between the oral and the exam and you wouldn't get the prós/filíocht done in that time. Good question though...

Have never ever heard of that. But in fairness, you've only a few weeks between the oral and the exam and you wouldn't get the prós/filíocht done in that time. Good question though...

How about someone who had done ordinary up to christmas of 6th year and had all the pros and filiocht done but then got cold feet and changed to foundation but then after the oral changed back to ordinary? :D

Advertisement