Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin stays in Data mode with USB ?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

This is a little bit tricky to explain but;

I have a Belkin hands free / FM Transmitter for my iPhone which plugs into the vans cigarette lighter. It also has a USB and Audio out port, but when I plug the Garmin into the USB port, it charges it but stays in data transfer mode and I can't use it to navigate.

Any ideas ?

It's a 265W BTW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a bit complicated and has to do with the wiring of the USB plug. I'm not sure you can do much about your situation unless you're handy with a soldering iron.

http://pinouts.ru/GPS/garmin_nuvi_power_pinout.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The satnav came with a USB lead, would that work (If I can find it)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    The satnav came with a USB lead, would that work (If I can find it)
    Not usually .. the ones that come with the satnav's also put the unit into data mode.

I assume you still have the car power cable that came with the unit? You can get adapters that allow you to plug multiple devices into the cigarette lighter if that's the problem, i.e. you want to use the iPhone FM transmitter and power your satnav at the same time.

The ideal thing would be a special cable wired according to the pinouts on that last link I gave you but I'm not aware of any such thing for sale anywhere , although I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Try unplugging the cable while in data mode. The satnav should restart to go into navigation mode. When it gets to 'loading maps', plug it in again. It should continue into navigation mode.

Advertisement