Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing hosting companies for a .ie domain - any more complex than normal?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this isin't the right place, mods please move if there's somewhere more suitable.

Got an annual hosting invoice for .ie which is too expensive so want to change providers. I notice that the non-Irish hosting companies I was looking at don't have .ie extensions on their drop-down list when you're transferring, so am I obliged to stick with an Irish hosting company?? :confused:

Also, if anyone knows off hand the cheapest hosting company that can host a .ie (very little traffic and small site under 100MB) then i'd be greatful for the tip!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can host a website pretty much anywhere, but only about 90 companies are able to sell .ie domain names.

http://iedr.ie/ListResellers.php gives a list of them

Pricing will vary from around 15 euro / year to around 80 euro / year, so check them out and see what you find that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Cheers Blacknight. The domain is fine until the end of 2010, just needs hosting at the moment.

It's a very basic site with little traffic, i'll start shopping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

John-why not use www.blacknight.com I have found them to be excellent and very affordable. .

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I am actually in a position similar, can a .ie domain be hosted on a uk server? Does the server have to pass some dns check?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

nellyshark wrote: »
    I am actually in a position similar, can a .ie domain be hosted on a uk server? Does the server have to pass some dns check?
    The domain has to be properly set up in the DNS and working. (IEDR will check this automatically before the domain goes live.) This is the problem that many non-Irish hosters have with .ie domains.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

jmcc wrote: »
    The domain has to be properly set up in the DNS and working. (IEDR will check this automatically before the domain goes live.) This is the problem that many non-Irish hosters have with .ie domains.

Regards...jmcc

Thanks for that jmcc!

What does properly set up in the DNS and working mean?

I am actually in a position similar, can a .ie domain be hosted on a uk server?

Yes

Does the server have to pass some dns check?
    In common with a lot of ccTLDs the domain's zone has to be preloaded before you can change the nameservers

Blacknight wrote: »
    In common with a lot of ccTLDs the domain's zone has to be preloaded before you can change the nameservers

Care to dumb that down please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You can also PM dahamsta - he's an IE reseller/hoster and is a part owner of the CIX Webfarm in Cork. He does all my hosting.

Care to dumb that down please :)

The DNS has to be configured on the new nameservers and the dns reloaded.

Aren't you advertising hosting in your signature????

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    Aren't you advertising hosting in your signature????

That's just for a mate on another (english designers and developers) forum. Would one be able to offer their own hosting? If yes, how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Sorry if this isin't the right place, mods please move if there's somewhere more suitable.

Got an annual hosting invoice for .ie which is too expensive so want to change providers. I notice that the non-Irish hosting companies I was looking at don't have .ie extensions on their drop-down list when you're transferring, so am I obliged to stick with an Irish hosting company?? :confused:

Also, if anyone knows off hand the cheapest hosting company that can host a .ie (very little traffic and small site under 100MB) then i'd be greatful for the tip!
    The price of .ie domains has come down a lot over the last year, though they still are more expensive than .com domains.

Advertisement