Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get the lines to your house upgraded?

• 25-04-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I used to be with BT boradband and had a 20MB connection but because of the lines coming into my house the most I could get was 4MB. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the lines upgraded and how much does it cost?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's really nothing you can do about it. It could be the distance from the exchange that's limiting your speed too, which you obviously aren't going to be able to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I'm pretty close to the exchange, less than a kilometre, I think it's the lines from the street to the house that are the problem. How come some houses have lines that can take 20MB+ and some don't?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may apply for a completely new line, this often costs nothing if eircom are doing a special offer. Then ditch the old one.

You will be dlighted to hear that a "Standard Connection Exchange line" costs nothing to install between now and september so try that! Print this offer out in case of a 'billing mistake' by eircom.

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Thanks, would that involve changing my phonr number?

If you run both lines for a month you can transfer the old number to the new line and cut it off afterwards.

You can "forward in the exchange" too meaning you forward the old number to the new number but cut the line itself off, that costs €10 a month instead of €26 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So when eircom say your line can only handle 7mb there talking about the physical line to your house, I dunno i'd say mine was put in 20 odd years ago so would upgrading to a new line improve the connection and the amount my line can handle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Distance, quality of the copper coming to the house, the internal wiring arrangement in your house, amount of noise corrsion of the copper etc etc are all contributing factors on how fast and reliable your broadband is, and Eircom gives no guarantees that getting a new line in will give you the speed you desire on your line

Tis pot luck in otherwords

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Does anybody know if its possible to get an engineer out to test the line? My neighbour is 500 yards from me and can get broadband but I can't..! In fairness we're at about 7-8KM from the exchange, but even getting 1MB would be better than nothing.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

I'm pretty close to the exchange, less than a kilometre, I think it's the lines from the street to the house that are the problem. How come some houses have lines that can take 20MB+ and some don't?

I'm pretty close to an exchange as well. My ADSL performance deteriorated quite suddenly two years ago. After much arguing with eircom they eventually (two months on !) sent an engineer out who after a quick check in my house, went up the nearest telephone pole and found that water had gotten into the junction box and my line was corroded. He fixed it it 5 minutes.

I think the problem is that eircom have no obligation to provide anything other then acceptable voice quality on a line. I only got them to agree to send an engineer out because my voice service was suffering, they were not going to come out just because my ADSL performance had deteriorated.

I presume you have connected your ADSL modem directly to the eircom master socket with no other devices attached ? If your performance is still bad then it's probably some dodgy connection upstream but you may struggle to get eircom to fix it.

apm0003 wrote: »
    If your performance is still bad then it's probably some dodgy connection upstream but you may struggle to get eircom to fix it.

If your performance is still bad then it's probably some dodgy connection upstream but you may WILL struggle to get eircom to fix it.

eircom are not in the business of line maintenance,basically.

the old trick of ringing them up to complain about voice quality ( while scrunching a empty tayto bag near the phone ) often works even nowadays :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    the old trick of ringing them up to complain about voice quality ( while scrunching a empty tayto bag near the phone ) often works even nowadays :cool:

The Gospel According to Sponge Bob, ye will replace my line because of the Tayto Salt + Vinegar line noise.

Good tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

hjr wrote: »
    Does anybody know if its possible to get an engineer out to test the line? My neighbour is 500 yards from me and can get broadband but I can't..! In fairness we're at about 7-8KM from the exchange, but even getting 1MB would be better than nothing.

Thanks in advance

At that distance, you're never going to get DSL of any kind. Even 6km would be pushing it. Your neighbour is extremely lucky if they're at 6.5km from the exchange.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You may apply for a completely new line, this often costs nothing if eircom are doing a special offer. Then ditch the old one.

You will be dlighted to hear that a "Standard Connection Exchange line" costs nothing to install between now and september so try that! Print this offer out in case of a 'billing mistake' by eircom.

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf
    Do you just ring 1901 and apply for a new line?

Or is the a special number to ring?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

how would i know how far i am from the exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Only Spongebob knows.....

Random wrote: »
    how would i know how far i am from the exchange?

Do you know what exchange ?? The mods in here know what I know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Interesting, im only 2Km from the exchange( in the car ) but i have rubbish downstream attenuation of 52.3, and max synch at around 3.9Mbit/sec, wonder if changing the line would do the trick, could be crap all the way to the exchange though lol.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

This map of eircom exchanges is useful.

I am equidistant from Nutley (my exchange), Priory Park and Dundrum but do get ~5.3MB down and 678kB up (Home Professional. They did have me on a 5120/512 profile but I got them to switch it on a Saturday morning when the connection is best).

I thought I would save money by bundling my 8MB broadband with phone but realised that it isn't the same 8MB. It's 48:1 instead of 24:1
    I was considering getting a business 12MB ADSL2+ package but I don't need it that much...

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭deisebibo

Ok Maybe somebody might be able to help me here.

I live in Aglish, West Waterford. At the moment I'm using Vodafone mobile internet, but I am finding it quite slow sometimes. I wanted to change to eircom broadband (already have eircom landline). They have checked my line and said that the line is not suitable. YET my neighbour above me and below me (couple hundred yards each side) can get eircom broadband. So what I don't understand is how this is possible. does it mean i'm on a different exchange to them?? I'm soo confused. Also I have been researching it online and found this http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/your-area.asp?id=23 which shows that my area is broadband enabled. They would not give me any explanation only that "the line is not suitable'. I tried to find out what would the best thing for me to do but they were not one bit helpful. They told me if I knew an engineer in the area to come and check the line for me to see what the problem was and then I would know whether or not it would be worth my while getting a new phone line for broadband. Also I just wanted to know if anyone knows why both neighbours can get it but not us, wouldn't we all be on the same exchange?? I don't know I'm so confused.

Has anyone any advice for me on this. I do know a guy who's an eircom engineer, would it be worth my while getting him to check it out.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement