Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What flies should I buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

ah t'would be very much medium sized rivers, about the same size as the dodder, that included!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

i

have you ever noticed the more you use a dry fly the more fish it gets... as the fly gets dull/dirty.. from the water...,

yep thats true, thinks its like that for all especially wet fly, i always get more fish on a fly thats shaggy, dirty, basically f####d looking, just looks more natural and less man made i suppose....

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

fast flowing rivers or stretches of a river are good places to start learning to fly fish, its true fish will generally be smaller and easier to fool in faster water. They have less time to decide on a meal as its either snap at it or go hungry! most important thing I think is drag. Regardless what type of speed of water you fish your fly must behave like every other natural if its to have any chance. if its moving slower or faster than the water around it trout will generally ignore it. I think alot of my earlier failures in fly fishing were thinking oh ive the wriong fly and kept changing it when really what was wrong was how i presented it. good tip whether wet or dry fly fishing is to see that your fly matches the speed of bits of foam or debris floating near by, obviously in the case of wet flies youll be watching the fly line/leader junction. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

thehamo wrote: »
    ah t'would be very much medium sized rivers, about the same size as the dodder, that included!

well i dont know much about the dodder ,plenty of dodder anglers on here though,but i fish lots of streams not too far away i suppose.try spider fishing fast water,very productive when fish are moving near the surface,i like to fish almost square across or slightly upstream at an angle,and let ur flys dead drift to down below you,keep the rod high,so the line curves down to water,i almost just leave the leader in the water, watching the end of the fly line for any unatural move,ie stoping ,change of direction,,,you will be surprised,i have lifted at a slight twitch to find a fish on,,the takes are usually quite soft.im still missing plenty im sure!!,,its alot of work fishing the streamy runs but great fun,and works well.
    wets fished upstream and allowed to dead drift is effective too.
    the large fish hold in the slow pools as dryfly said,,but also on the smaller rivers in fast runs that are broken by large boulders,the slack water around the boulders can deep holes and i have found hold decent fish too.

hope thats of some help,sure the more technically adept guys can inform you more on leader setups for different wets and nymphs.

I might have fished alot of the rivers in that area so p.m me areas if you like ,i might be able to help further,
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Try a gold or tungsten head pheasant tail with a bit of sparkle will catch almost anything!

Also give the new zealand method a go.......Klinkhammer as an indicator(that wil catch)with a pheasant tail hanging of the bend.I find you will get 80% of the takes on the ptn and 20% on the klinky.

Itll work on stillwaters as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement