Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai seizing unrestricted bikes

• 25-04-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

...a Garda driving someone's bike to see if it was restricted?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

yes - have heard of it once .....it was a provisional driver....driving a Gixxer !!!

after the garda took it for a spin - he said thanks for that ...just wanted a spin on it.

(the provisional driver has a garda friend who is on a bike and would regularly get stopped as a joke - but this time the friend knew nothing about this happening)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

They could go sh1te, they wouldn't be getting on my bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

Never heard the like; I'd laugh at the clown if I was in that situation.

Why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Heard of it and the f*ckers have no right to do it. If they tried it with me i'd f*ck my keys into a ditch rather than hand them over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

KTRIC wrote: »
    Heard of it and the f*ckers have no right to do it. If they tried it with me i'd f*ck my keys into a ditch rather than hand them over.
    If they have no right, why would you throw the keys in the ditch.
    I heard of it alright but it was a friend of a friend of a friend etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seanybiker wrote: »
    If they have no right, why would you throw the keys in the ditch.
    I heard of it alright but it was a friend of a friend of a friend etc.

They don't always abide by the law themselves or make up their own version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Well it happened yesterday and I can assure you it wasn't a friend of a friend of a friend.

Be warned.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Well it happened yesterday and I can assure you it wasn't a friend of a friend of a friend.

Be warned.

And you let them get on it? Why?

Where do you stand if they drop it? If they suspect that it isn't restricted then they can shell out to have it dynoed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

big clampdown on unrestricted bikes in cark at the moment - probably related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

KamiKazi wrote: »
    And you let them get on it? Why?

Where do you stand if they drop it? If they suspect that it isn't restricted then they can shell out to have it dynoed.

Not the way it works I'm afraid, if they suspect it isn't restricted then it's up to the owner to show that it is.
    A cert is usually fine, if you don't have a cert then you could have an independant inspection (shop) or a dyno test sheet.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    big clampdown on unrestricted bikes in cark at the moment - probably related

where is cark

where is cark

beside kirry

bladespin wrote: »
    Not the way it works I'm afraid, if they suspect it isn't restricted then it's up to the owner to show that it is.
    A cert is usually fine, if you don't have a cert then you could have an independant inspection (shop) or a dyno test sheet.
    Where are you getting this from? If a cop suspects I'm drunk its up to him to bring the tester, if he thinks I'm speeding he measures my speed and if he thinks my CAR isn't roadworthy he has it lifted and taken to a garda garage he dosen't take it for a spin to see how well its handling in bends.

So I ask again how is it up to me to aliviate their suspicion?

also you write "a cert is usuaally fine" are you acually suggesting that a cop can go hey I see your cert but I'm gonna drive your bike to verify it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

KTRIC wrote: »

If the Garda is a PSV inspector he or she has the right to inspect any vehicle, in any manner they determine:)

A normal Garda can detain or impound the vehicle until a PSV inspector is available.

Where are you getting this from? If a cop suspects I'm drunk its up to him to bring the tester, if he thinks I'm speeding he measures my speed and if he thinks my CAR isn't roadworthy he has it lifted and taken to a garda garage he dosen't take it for a spin to see how well its handling in bends.

So I ask again how is it up to me to aliviate their suspicion?

also you write "a cert is usuaally fine" are you acually suggesting that a cop can go hey I see your cert but I'm gonna drive your bike to verify it?

I never said a guard could ride your bike without your permission but if it is a simple way of satisfying them that all is in order then why not? Why make life more difficult?

On the other stuff, it's the law, read up on it, if a bike needs to be restricted to suit your license then it's up to you to show that it has been, not the guard to show it hasn't.
    The easiest way a guard can determine the bhp of your motorcycle is to look it up on the database, if it's a model with a stated output beyond 33bhp then you'r not entitled to ride it unless it's been modified to suit your license, that means restricted, it'll be up to the owner to show thet they have made the necessary changes to the bike to make it legal.

I never said a guard could ride your bike without your permission but if it is a simple way of satisfying them that all is in order then why not? Why make life more difficult?

On the other stuff, it's the law, read up on it, if a bike needs to be restricted to suit your license then it's up to you to show that it has been, not the guard to show it hasn't.
    The easiest way a guard can determine the bhp of your motorcycle is to look it up on the database, if it's a model with a stated output beyond 33bhp then you'r not entitled to ride it unless it's been modified to suit your license, that means restricted, it'll be up to the owner to show thet they have made the necessary changes to the bike to make it legal.

It's not "making life more difficult" its refusing to pander to a garda thats ignoring a restriction cert.

It's not the law for me I've had a license to ride a real bike since 1994.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Id have no problem letting a gardi drive my bike, just as long as he knows, he bins it, he buys it:D.

It's not "making life more difficult" its refusing to pander to a garda thats ignoring a restriction cert.

It's not the law for me I've had a license to ride a real bike since 1994.

The guard doesn't have to accept a cert as proof, most are happy enough but it's not a legal document and anyone can print a restriction cert off, it's not worth the paper it's printed on TBH, there were cases of drivers producing certs for bikes that weren't restricted, some dealers were even known to sell full power bikes with certs (long stopped hopefully).

All motorcycles are real bikes, I had to wait 2 years on a 125 back in 91 :p but was still a real bike.

*Edit - just for note, if the garda that stops you has done the garda motorcycle training they are allowed test the bike - source; friend in the jeandarme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

To the lads saying they have no right etc. You are mistaken.
    They have the power to drive any vehicle for the purposes of testing under the road traffic act. Saying no or throwing your keys away will just mean that they will load it up on a truck.

Regardless of whether or not they have the right to they aren't calibrated machines; they cannot accurately tell the power output of a bike.

• Advertisement

Regardless of whether or not they have the right to they aren't calibrated machines; they cannot accurately tell the power output of a bike.

They don't prosecute you on it, it's just grounds for arrest ;) and impounding the bike.

After that they can bring your bike for testing (at your expense of course).

One could only assume for the sort of situations where a garda would get on the bike to test, it would be black and white situations. 600cc+ bikes and the like, you wouldn't need to be a calibrated machine to know if a cbr 600 was restricted or not. The fact is there is far too many lads getting insured on big bikes that they have no business being on.

For all the big talk in this thread, arguing with a garda or refusing to comply will get you nowhere other than having a long walk home.

My CB400 had 19HP more than the limit when it left the factory 18 years ago.

Do you honestly think the average Garda would be able to tell if it's restricted or not by riding it?

Not a hope.

All motorcycles are real bikes, I had to wait 2 years on a 125 back in 91 :p but was still a real bike.

Tell that to the guy being told not to do 70km a day on a 125, and you didn't have to wait you chose to wait you coulda gone up north like we all did and done the course.

For all the big talk in this thread, arguing with a garda or refusing to comply will get you nowhere other than having a long walk home.

Big talk ?
    Look without being smart here I would rather walk home and have the garda sieze and test a bike rather than let him drive it.

Now please show me this law you keep telling us about where we have to let the garda drive our bikes without them first siezing it or arresting us.

especially after we have shown them a cert!

Here is a link to the statutes to get you started.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/home.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Just say you are stopped, how are you meant to prove that your bike is restricted?

Some posters here said that a cert is not a legal document (which I agree with). If you had a dyno done, this could easily be jigged to give the result you want.

My CB400 had 19HP more than the limit when it left the factory 18 years ago.

Do you honestly think the average Garda would be able to tell if it's restricted or not by riding it?

Not a hope.

Ah for christ sake will you read my post before going off on your little rant.

I can see why you are coming out telling us not to be doing the "big talk"

The following reads to me as " if the garda are talking to you tell them you are scared and bullied and then put your head down and hope they feel sorry for you.

Fair enough we aren't the outlaws some people think we are but I thought that atleast when a biker looks in the mirror to shave he see someone with balls.

Never felt safe with it on so never wore it, aslong as you're not acting thikers still e bollocks the guards aren't going to give you more than a giving out to for not wearing it. Usually if you say to them that cars tailgate you to try and bully you into moving over when you wear it they are sound enough. Just whatever you do make sure to keep the head down and don't argue with them or anything.

Ah for christ sake will you read my post before going off on your little rant.

The OP never said what bike he was on, and you never asked what bike I was on before you started talking about CBR600s :)

• Advertisement

I can see why you are coming out telling us not to be doing the "big talk"

The following reads to me as " if the garda are talking to you tell them you are scared and bullied and then put your head down and hope they feel sorry for you.

Fair enough we aren't the outlaws some people think we are but I thought that atleast when a biker looks in the mirror to shave he see someone with balls.

Bringing up a previous post of mine from 8 or 9 months ago to try and belittle me, well played. :rolleyes:

Seriously like what are you playing at? I've had enough experience with them as a biker and otherwise to know that keeping the head down and not giving them a reason to go on a power trip is the best option.
    Acting the hardman to the gardai just makes things harder on yourself.

EDIT- and before someone mentions it the "thikers still e" part must be a quoting mistake as I've looked at that post and it's not there :pac:
    The OP never said what bike he was on, and you never asked what bike I was on before you started talking about CBR600s :)

What bike you or the OP are on has nothing to do with what I said though. You said that a Garda is not a calibrated machine to test if a bike is restricted or not. I said that it's probably only used in black and white situations like 600cc+ bikes and anyone would be able to tell if something like a CBR6 was full blooded or not. Your CB definitely isn't a black and white situation.

Advertisement