Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Gardai seizing unrestricted bikes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

bladespin wrote: »
    you don't think something's astray if an engine that's supposed to produce 33bhp is producing say 150bhp? Come on man.

I certainly don't abide bikers being targetted by gardai or any other agency but this is a simple vehicle check, that do the same with any cay they suspect isn't what it's sopposed to be.
    Its not a "defect".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Is there an offense along the lines of 'driving without the appropriate license' or something to that effect?

How many people are out there unknowingly driving with expired licenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Its not a "defect".

How do you figure that? It means the restrictor isn't working properly doesn't it?
    cantdecide wrote: »
    Is there an offense along the lines of 'driving without the appropriate license' or something to that effect?

Driving without license or insurance.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Actually I partially agree with Teddy Daniels on the defect point.

I've edited the bold highlight on my last post. After reading it again I see it reads that the even if there is a defect the defect must make the vehicle a danger to the public.

I do agree with others that if a bike is required to have a restrictor, it's failure or magical disappearance is a defect.

So where does that leave us? I'd say a Garda would not be able to ride your bike and would only be able to pull you on suspicion of driving without a license (i.e. the license to ride a full power bike) and have your bike impounded and then tested. Good luck with the driving without a license court appearance for those of you who are risking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

RosieJoe wrote: »

I did the Bikesafe course last year and afterwards I was talking to one of the Sergeants. He saw a lid with a biker.ie sticker on it. He knew of the forum and asked if I was a member too.
    A few of the lads from the bike division of the traffic corp are members of biker.ie as well as other sites, so they'd know well what goes on.

• Advertisement

hobochris wrote: »
    A few of the lads from the bike division of the traffic corp are members of biker.ie as well as other sites, so they'd know well what goes on.

Some are members here too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Sketch!

:pac:

But we never advocate illegal behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Is that a statement or implication? :pac:

Just evasion and obstruction lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Would the gardai be satisfied a bike is restricted with a receipt for a brand new bike indicating the model as "factory restricted"?

I'm not thinking of a scam btw...my bike is factory restricted but have zero proof except the receipt.

my bike is factory restricted but have zero proof except the receipt.
    Did you buy it new? Or even buy it here? The vehicle registration documents list the power as 25kw and have 5's in one of the sections- can't remember which one though.

nereid wrote: »
    Did you buy it new? Or even buy it here? The vehicle registration documents list the power as 25kw and have 5's in one of the sections- can't remember which one though.

Yep I bought it new here. Checked my log book, has fives for power output but so does my car one!

Yep I bought it new here. Checked my log book, has fives for power output but so does my car one!

Maybe the 5's indicate factory restricted. There was something like that. I remember thinking it was odd that it never specifically said.
    Hopefully someone currently with a factory restricted bike can help out more, my restriction period is well up at this stage and I have moved onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

My Bandit is factory restricted too and I think this is indicated on the log book. AFAIK it's indicated by a letter at the end of the chassis/engine number.

I'd need to check mine at home to verify this though.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    AFAIK it's indicated by a letter at the end of the chassis/engine number.

In my case (SV-650) the ecu serial number was listed with Suzuki, and could be verified with a simple phone call. Bandit's are washers in the carbs, so not as easy to verify without dismantling (this is applicable at the side of the road) in which case, you may be correct with the engine/chasis number.

Would the gardai be satisfied a bike is restricted with a receipt for a brand new bike indicating the model as "factory restricted"?

I'm not thinking of a scam btw...my bike is factory restricted but have zero proof except the receipt.

All factory restricted bikes should be listed as such on the databases, you should have no problem and I doubt if you'd be asked for any paperwork on it if you mention that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

All factory restricted bikes should be listed as such on the databases, you should have no problem and I doubt if you'd be asked for any paperwork on it if you mention that.

As the OP- let me tell you, even proof of factory restriction isn't enough. Believe me

As the OP- let me tell you, even proof of factory restriction isn't enough. Believe me

Strange that, from the insurance point of view that's the holy grail, would've thought the gardai followed the same logic.

Funny thing is the difference between factory restrictions, some have a ridiculous throttle stop lol, some use washers that are a 10 minute job to remove, others ecu etc that cost hunderds if not thousands to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

that is not what that says
    inspect is different to drive

read 2 b

• Advertisement

pa990 wrote: »
    read 2 b

I don't agree with the defination of defect. I also don't agree with the full power harleys because of a missreading of the power/weight ratio thing btw and thats th one I'd love to see clarified in court.

what acually happened and did he site which act / special power he was using and go "You are required under" like they do at the breath checkpoints? Or did he just say let me ride your bike to check it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

happened to a friend of mine last year. full licence, restricted, on a ninja. cop rode it up the road, no helmet or gear etc. they were going to confiscate it.

luckily, Quinn Direct acknowledged that they would still regard it as insured, irrespective of restricted licence!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

luckily, Quinn Direct acknowledged that they would still regard it as insured, irrespective of restricted licence!!

More info on this!

KamiKazi wrote: »
    More info on this!

AFIK
    As an insurance company:
    If you enter into a contract of insurance in error you're obliged to provide the minimum cover, TPO, you can reclaim any losses though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

AFIK
    As an insurance company:
    If you enter into a contract of insurance in error you're obliged to provide the minimum cover, TPO, you can reclaim any losses though.

I know that yeah but the way he said it it sounded like they had no problem covering him.

Anyway the whole entering into a contract in error thingy is a huge grey area as the insurance co. will still insure you on a provisional on a > 33BHP bike even if you specifically state that it will not be restricted.

Strange that, from the insurance point of view that's the holy grail, would've thought the gardai followed the same logic.

Funny thing is the difference between factory restrictions, some have a ridiculous throttle stop lol, some use washers that are a 10 minute job to remove, others ecu etc that cost hunderds if not thousands to change.

My factory restricted yamaha is a throttle stop. I think it's the best as easy to derestrict...don't need to buy a new ECU!

My factory restricted yamaha is a throttle stop. I think it's the best as easy to derestrict...don't need to buy a new ECU!

That's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That's the problem.

They are prone to falling off, everyone knows that !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

My fazor was restricted, it was on when i bought it. Always wondered why i was being pwnt by push bike at the lights. Mechanic asked me why it was restricted when i brought it in for a service, considering i had an FJR before. Told him i never even knew it was there, took him five mins to take off.

Advertisement