Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Gardai seizing unrestricted bikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So, if the Gardai are not wearing appropriate bike gear at the time, are we supposed to handover our helmets, gloves, bike jackets, bike jeans and boots? (images of Terminator 2 spring to mind).

I can't believe that a Garda would be permitted to ride a motorcycle without a helmet under any circumstances and I also can't believe there would be any legislation that would oblige me to provide my helmet to a Gardai for his/her use (inspection, sure, but use?).

You'll often see Gardai driving around on beat up old bikes they've confiscated with just their cap for protection:eek:
    bladespin wrote: »
    A garda isn't required to have or use the gear, even a helmet it's at their disgression if they want to ride without it, thay are not bound by the traffic law while performing their job.

Gardaí in the course of their duties are exempt from most road traffic laws, in saying that if something goes wrong they have to have a very good reason for not obeying the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Del2005 wrote: »
    Gardaí in the course of their duties are exempt from most road traffic laws, in saying that if something goes wrong they have to have a very good reason for not obeying the law.

Hmm, can recall a certain accident, no license etc, another performing an illegal U-turn infront of an oncoming motorcycle without lookingand still pardoned, history now except for the victim's families though.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spud01

Show me the law!

It's not big talk or being a hard man to stand up for yourself.

You are making up laws that don't exist so you can excuse your fear of the garda. I'm on bikes 18 years and I'll still look anone in the eye.

Now show me this law!

Under Dangerous Defective Vehicles:- A member of the Garda Siochana who believes that there is some defect can drive any MPV for a distance not exceeding 5 miles in order to see if the vehicle is defective. He can then do a number of things.
    Now go and look up the rest of the law yourself and I hope you don't have a prove lic or a learner permit or if you hold a full lic that you have held it for at least 2 years or more and if that is the case that your m/cycle is restricted. Come to Cork and try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

spud01 wrote: »
    ....A member of the Garda Siochana who believes that there is some defect...

But there must be a difference between a defective vehicle and a defective license??? What would lead someone to believe there is a defect without there being a certain level of harassment??? It's like shaking down anyone out on a saturday night because they MIGHT be taking cocaine...

Forgot to add. Dyno tests don't need to be done. The calculations for court purposes are the manufacturers dry weight and bHP output for the particular modle. If this is outside 0.16 then the vehicle needs to be restricted. The only evidence needed is that no restrictor was fitted. This evidence is given by a PSV inspector or any qualified m/cycle mechanic working in any reputable shop.
    eg Aprillia 125 is within 25kW or 33bHP but is outside the power / weight ratio oe 0.16. Therefore it needs a restrictor.
    I believe for the time being only big bikes are being tested.
    Numerous conviction in courts already - 5 points and may even get a disqualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Welcome to boards.ie spud

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Oh look, it's this thread again.

pa990 wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.ie spud

Couldn't resist. But it would take me too long to explain all legalities. Its better that its demonstrated at the side of road and later in court. QED.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Fair play i say, it about time that the licenses are being clamped down on, both car and bikes. Far too many accidents on both sides & anything that might help should be encouraged. Personally i would not like a guard riding one of my bikes, but then again my license doesn't need restricting, hasn't for a long time so i doubt it would come up.

I did my time on smaller bikes & worked my way up, so i dont have any sympathy for these people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

the current liscence system in place encourages it anyways to be honest,,2 years to wait till u can drive a full power bike once you have passed your full test and you could of owning 3 learner or provisionals be4 that is the greatest load of dicky rule ever,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Oh look, it's this thread again.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,360 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you've nothing to hide,why be an arse to the cop.You're only going to end up with a closer inspection of man and machine,that small numberplate,that loud exhaust,that tinted visor stamped NOT ROAD LEGAL.
    Play long and get along,it's not rocket science.:)

There is no in-use decibel limit for motorcycles in the Republic of Ireland.

There is no ban on dark visors in the Republic of Ireland.

This is not the UK - thankfully.

Scrap the cap!

Forgot to add. Dyno tests don't need to be done. The calculations for court purposes are the manufacturers dry weight and bHP output for the particular modle.

Nonsense.
    The law specifies no such thing. It specifies a power-to-weight ratio but does not define how power is measured, or how weight is measured (HUGE difference on most large bikes between dry weight and gross vehicle weight) this makes the law unenforceable.
    If this is outside 0.16 then the vehicle needs to be restricted. The only evidence needed is that no restrictor was fitted.

Crap. Many bikes are above 33hp but do not need to be restricted because of the power-to-weight rule. A restrictor is not a legal requirement, the legal requirement is to obey the power-to-weight rule which is all but unenforceable if you have a half-comptent lawyer.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Nonsense.
    The law specifies no such thing. It specifies a power-to-weight ratio but does not define how power is measured, or how weight is measured (HUGE difference on most large bikes between dry weight and gross vehicle weight) this makes the law unenforceable.
    Sorry but all details are taken from the manufacturers published specifications so that'll be dry weight.
    Crap. Many bikes are above 33hp but do not need to be restricted because of the power-to-weight rule. A restrictor is not a legal requirement, the legal requirement is to obey the power-to-weight rule which is all but unenforceable if you have a half-comptent lawyer.
    The power requirement is one side of the rule, the power to weight is the other, most who don't have restriction will fall foul of both.
    Even the might Harley just about sits inside the power to weight rule but change anything (exhausts are fave) and you're the wrong side of the law.

The law's enforcable if a garda decides to enforce it and no matter how good your solicitor is it'll be the judges decision which rule is followed and he's much more likely to side with the gardai than you.

It's all pretty irrelevant anyway, the gardai aren't really interested with the guy/girl on the gs500 that's 4 bhp over the limit, they're after johnny R1, ZX10 etc and no matter how you try to interpret the law all those bikes need to be restricted or filled with lead lol.

Sorry but all details are taken from the manufacturers published specifications so that'll be dry weight.

The power requirement is one side of the rule, the power to weight is the other, most who don't have restriction will fall foul of both.
    Even the might Harley just about sits inside the power to weight rule but change anything (exhausts are fave) and you're the wrong side of the law.

The law's enforcable if a garda decides to enforce it and no matter how good your solicitor is it'll be the judges decision which rule is followed and he's much more likely to side with the gardai than you.

It's all pretty irrelevant anyway, the gardai aren't really interested with the guy/girl on the gs500 that's 4 bhp over the limit, they're after johnny R1, ZX10 etc and no matter how you try to interpret the law all those bikes need to be restricted or filled with lead lol.

Well said. Thats my point exactly. And convictions are being obtained in Sth of Ire. All these kerb-side lawyers do my head in. If you drive a bike and your category of licence doesn't cover you and you are stopped by certain members of An Garda - Depending upon your answers you give your bike MAY be tested and seized and you will end up in court and more than likely with 5 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Any idea of the numbers of riders out there with convictions/ points as a result of this?

cantdecide wrote: »
    Any idea of the numbers of riders out there with convictions/ points as a result of this?

I know of 6. And they have only started. Believe me.

But the legislation doesn't specify that.

Look up the laws on speeding or drink driving, they are very particular to specify what is to be measured and exactly how it is to be measured. If it is not done 100% correctly and there is any doubt at all as to the evidence presented, the case is thrown out (sometimes it goes to an appeal but a decent solicitor will get it thrown out first time.)

True but under Irish law you only have to meet one to be legal.

Says who?
    How can a Garda ride a bike and figure out if it's gained a few hp which pushes it over the limit?

Without clearly defined, detailed procedures set out in legislation on exactly what is to be measured, and how (dynos vary a LOT) the law is a nonsense.

I don't condone breaking the law, but I don't support the arbitrary enforcement of badly written legislation either. Everyone, gardai and riders should know EXACTLY where they stand in relation to this issue, the fact that it's been endlessly debated on the Internet for the last 12 years shows that this is not the case.
    The law's enforcable if a garda decides to enforce it

Gardai do not get to make the law, or 'fill in the blanks' either.
    and no matter how good your solicitor is it'll be the judges decision which rule is followed and he's much more likely to side with the gardai than you.

If a judge really is biased, he's not fit to hold his office.
    Again if there is evidence of bias, or any weakness in the evidence a good solicitor will win the appeal hands down.

True but if the gardai are effectively making it up as they go along (and ignoring what the law actually says) then you have no guarantee that they are only going to go after those who deserve to be convicted.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Storm in a teacup.

1. If its a "one man crusade", then the odds of being stopped are miniscule.

2. Any such incident could be thrown out of court by any law student in the country. "Sure yer Honour, I cud feel it in me bones that he had more than 0.16 Joules per kg of weight".

3. Don't the Guards have anything better to do?

4. Wouldn't it be funny if a Guard with not riding gear fell off your bike while testing it? I hope he doesn't get any blood on my paintjob - it'd be costing him a lot to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I know of 6. And they have only started. Believe me.

Who are they after though, it is guys on a 250 or 400 just barely on the limit or bit over or the r1 guys? Are they showing some discretion?
    P.S. We talk about manufacturers published data but I can't find sight nor sound of it anywhere for bikes like mine which are older.
    Spud, can you offer an advice service whether bikes such as ours will be stopped or not

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Who are they after though, it is guys on a 250 or 400 just barely on the limit or bit over or the r1 guys? Are they showing some discretion?
    P.S. We talk about manufacturers published data but I can't find sight nor sound of it anywhere for bikes like mine which are older.
    Spud, can you offer an advice service whether bikes such as ours will be stopped or not

Probably not - once your not pullin' wheelies and the likes.
    Try this site which should give you all the manufacturers details of your machine.
    http://www.bikez.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,557 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Probably not - once your not pullin' wheelies and the likes.
    Try this site which should give you all the manufacturers details of your machine.
    http://www.bikez.com/

Thanks Spud. Was kinda worried because mine is suppose slightly about the limit (cb400 carb) with some probation left to go but fair play if your not just making everyones life hell but rather catching those with silly machines on provisionals

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thanks Spud. Was kinda worried because mine is suppose slightly about the limit (cb400 carb) with some probation left to go but fair play if your not just making everyones life hell but rather catching those with silly machines on provisionals

Bike Safe starting soon. Join up for free advice and training. The more the merrier.

Bike Safe starting soon. Join up for free advice and training. The more the merrier.

Hope to, just waiting on my test date :o

But the legislation doesn't specify that.

Look up the laws on speeding or drink driving, they are very particular to specify what is to be measured and exactly how it is to be measured. If it is not done 100% correctly and there is any doubt at all as to the evidence presented, the case is thrown out (sometimes it goes to an appeal but a decent solicitor will get it thrown out first time.)

The law's clear, what are the gardai to proceed on if not the manufacturers own specifications?
    What we're talking about here is grounds for investigation so the published figures are plenty to go on for the gardai to make the decision to seize, they can realease later and not proceed. This isn't trial at the roadside, it's only a preliminary investigation.
    True but under Irish law you only have to meet one to be legal.
    Yes, of course, it's a two parter so if you satisyf one then you're ok.
    Says who?
    How can a Garda ride a bike and figure out if it's gained a few hp which pushes it over the limit?
    HD themselves, all manufacturers who either restrict their bikes at factory or claim inside the power to weight rule will tell you that you nullify the legality of the bike if you modify it from standard.
    Without clearly defined, detailed procedures set out in legislation on exactly what is to be measured, and how (dynos vary a LOT) the law is a nonsense.

Actually, Dyno's don't vary much at all (if calibrated properly and to the correct satndard) any dyno used as evidence would have to be calibrated to the national standard. There's no need to use a dyno anyway unless the rider wants to produce evidence the bike meets the limits themselves but it would be up to the cours whether to allow this.
    The procedure is very simple, the bike has a manufacturers stated output, say for example a fireblade, with output power about 123kw and a claimed weight 176kg. if there is no modification to restrict the bike's power out then it doesn't meet the 33bhp rule (obviously) and the power to weight is 0.9631, this is way beyond the 0.16kw/kg so the garda have grounds for summons, the rider can use a dyno to try to prove innocent but it's up to them.

I don't condone breaking the law, but I don't support the arbitrary enforcement of badly written legislation either. Everyone, gardai and riders should know EXACTLY where they stand in relation to this issue, the fact that it's been endlessly debated on the Internet for the last 12 years shows that this is not the case.

Gardai do not get to make the law, or 'fill in the blanks' either.

All riders already know exactly where they stand, they are either legal or they're not, it's so simple, I can't believe there are lads still arguing about it.
    The gardai don't make it up as they go but they have some disgression so they can choose to turn a blind eye to some.

There is no debate on the subject, the law's written and contrary to all this it's fairly clear, the gardai have only lately realised how to enforce it and they're only doing their jobs in doing this, I fully support them, I'm fed up being labeled thanks to these chancers who think they can shortcut the system and leave all riders who make it their business to be legitimate to pay the price for mis-placed bravado.
    If a judge really is biased, he's not fit to hold his office.
    Again if there is evidence of bias, or any weakness in the evidence a good solicitor will win the appeal hands down.
    Wow, you've been watching waaayyy too much american tv court rubbish and you're really not familiar with our legal system, all judges are biast in some way. They aren't elected so don't hold office :rolleyes:

The gardai in the above case would simply produce the maunfacturers specifications for the vehicle and show no effort had been made to restrict.
    You'll find it very hard and even more expensive to challange a judge like this, you're talking appeals to the supreme court and even then you'd loose as they are following their directives in bias towards the law and the gardai. This isn't the USA, innocent until proven isn't a statute here.
    I wouldn't suggest following this route but if you do you might get the law itself changed so I'd love to see it happen.
    True but if the gardai are effectively making it up as they go along (and ignoring what the law actually says) then you have no guarantee that they are only going to go after those who deserve to be convicted.
    I don't understand where people get the idea that the gardai are convicting peolpe on a test ride of the bike, that's laughable, it's just a test to see if the bike needs a proper inspection and test by an approved mechanic.
    As for making it up, where do you get that from? Once again the law's clear, they've copped on to how a superbike performs with and without a restrictor (not that hard really :p).

Actually, Dyno's don't vary much at all (if calibrated properly and to the correct satndard) any dyno used as evidence would have to be calibrated to the national standard. There's no need to use a dyno anyway unless the rider wants to produce evidence the bike meets the limits themselves but it would be up to the cours whether to allow this.
    The procedure is very simple, the bike has a manufacturers stated output, say for example a fireblade, with output power about 123kw and a claimed weight 176kg. if there is no modification to restrict the bike's power out then it doesn't meet the 33bhp rule (obviously) and the power to weight is 0.9631, this is way beyond the 0.16kw/kg so the garda have grounds for summons, the rider can use a dyno to try to prove innocent but it's up to them.

Have a read of this: http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=150503

Bike was seized and put on a dyno by the cops, not the rider.

(Yes I know it's in the UK but the law is exactly the same)

Have a read of this: http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=150503

Bike was seized and put on a dyno by the cops, not the rider.

(Yes I know it's in the UK but the law is exactly the same)

Yup, that's the UK not here, the law, the police and the courts are different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bladespin has it on the head. In everything else in this country the gardai have to prove your guilty but with a motoring conviction you have to prove your innocent once the gardia provide basic evidence. You can't query their methods or calibration equipment only pay for and provide your own evidence to go against it.

What's to stop someone sticking a bike on a dyno running on three out of four cylinders, getting 33bhp or less printout and then going back to full power?

Shambles of a law.

• Advertisement

What's to stop someone sticking a bike on a dyno running on three out of four cylinders, getting 33bhp or less printout and then going back to full power?

Shambles of a law.

Same thing that stops a rider putting a restrictor on a bike, getting the cert and then taking it out, the law.

There's nothing that says a garda ot a court has to accpet a dyno report, sure you could photoshop one if you wanted to. The gardai will only accept the print-out if they believe it to be true, the courts would want it independantly verified (might only mean the dyno owner and calibration engineer (me)) swearing a statement.

No differnece between that and riding an 1100 on a A1 license rwally, the law's not to blame it's the clowns that flout it.

Advertisement