Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help me

Options
  • 25-04-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all - I actually signed up for a new username to post this, as some of ye might know me, bah

Okay, so I need some help, advice, or even someone telling me that I'm not totally bonkers.

I'm in my mid-twenties, and have been around animals from the time I was a wee kid (my mother, and maternal grandfather were involved in rescue in the country where I was born). I have always been involved in rescuing stray dogs, cats, helping to neuter them, assisting local vets when they neuter/spay stray/feral animals. I came to Ireland 8 years ago, and while my circumstances did not allow me to have any animals for the first three years (renting small bedsits/studios etc), I eventually did adopt a rescue cat, who passed away within 2 years (FIV) and I also adopted an old stray cat. I fostered a dog, and have trapped and taken many animals to the vet to be neutered & released. After the second cat died, my personal circumstances were very bad (and the death of the first cat affected me profoundly as after some years of no contact with animals/moving to a new country/getting married etc, I felt sooooo happy bonding with an animal again, plus she was a special animal) and we had to move back to the country (to in-laws house). In-laws actually HATE animals - especially cats, and I have had little contact with animals since being here. Our personal circumstances are still pretty bad (health/money/family stuff) and I have become increasingly depressed, miserable and just utterly down about the fact that I am stuck in this situation and cannot help animals or even come into contact with them. We live in the middle of two towns, and neither of us drive so even trying to volunteer at the local SPCA is not an option. I have rung vet clinics, and local rescues asking if they want someone to just answer phones/help out in any way or form, and nobody is interested.

I work 2 days a week in Dublin and have been commuting so far, and it is likely we will be moving up there once more in a couple of weeks. I really, really want to get involved in having some contact with animals as I really feel that is when I am happiest/even when all else is really crap. I used to pet sit (for free) for people when my cats died and they all said the cats were in such good form that they (owners) always offered to pay - I asked them to donate to local rescues. Also I have had to deal with a few serious health scares in the past 2 years, and not having any animals in my life has been a serious shock - I underestimated just how vital my four legged friends were in helping us humans recover from any and every illness.

If anyone knows anywhere that I can volunteer (without being able to drive) in Dublin, or if you would like a pet sitter/walker in a few weeks, please PM me. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
    I realize I sound like a crackpot from above rambling nonsense, apologies!! Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

did u just say you trap feral cats and neuter them? in your home? or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 luvanimals

Sorry, I was typing with my brain in a funk -

I have a trap (the same one that most rescues use), in the past, wherever we have lived there have been feral colonies - so yes, I have trapped, then taken them to the vets, and either returned them to the same colony, or in one or two cases (where there were kittens involved) rehomed them thanks to a rescue.

I don't neuter cats or anyone else for that matter. in my home or anywhere!:eek::eek:

luvanimals wrote: »
    Sorry, I was typing with my brain in a funk -

I have a trap (the same one that most rescues use), in the past, wherever we have lived there have been feral colonies - so yes, I have trapped, then taken them to the vets, and either returned them to the same colony, or in one or two cases (where there were kittens involved) rehomed them thanks to a rescue.

I don't neuter cats or anyone else for that matter. in my home or anywhere!:eek::eek:

haha right sorry, just from reading it , it sounded like you and your other half went out on your own accord and did it :D

Great! As if my original post didn't sound mad enough, now you've got everyone thinking I go around grabbing collies and cutting them up in my dining room:eek::eek::eek::eek:

luvanimals wrote: »
    Great! As if my original post didn't sound mad enough, now you've got everyone thinking I go around grabbing collies and cutting them up in my dining room:eek::eek::eek::eek:

maybe you should edit your main post so others dont get the same idea :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I know how you feel not having animals around. When I went away to college I missed my animals so much, I was so unhappy. But I found a kitten in Dublin and kept that in my apartment. That made it a bit better but I still missed my other animals, so it was so good to move back home to them. Just can't live without animals around. I hope you can be involved with animals soon and everything will be better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

You know a lot about dogs and cats so, and would have a decent CV for working with animals.

Do you have a driving licence? If so I'd suggest getting yourself a cheap car (you can get decent enough cars now for virtually nothing!) and setting up a pet sitter / dog walker business!!

You have the time, and the love for animals, and if you need any help you can contact me and I'll help out, Ive been a dog walker / sitter for about three years and if your dedicated you can make a decent living out of doing what you truly love!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jjjade

hey,

i volunteer at the dspca in rathfarnham who are always looking for volunteers to do a number of jobs with all types of animals.. the site is www.dspca.ie and you can apply for volunteering their. worth a try :)

You know a lot about dogs and cats so, and would have a decent CV for working with animals.

Do you have a driving licence? If so I'd suggest getting yourself a cheap car (you can get decent enough cars now for virtually nothing!) and setting up a pet sitter / dog walker business!!

You have the time, and the love for animals, and if you need any help you can contact me and I'll help out, Ive been a dog walker / sitter for about three years and if your dedicated you can make a decent living out of doing what you truly love!!

Thank you so much for this - I don't have a car/license but I have done pet-sitting before (i walk everywhere anyway and can manage with public transport or the better part for the moment) - I absolutely LOVED it, especially cat-sitting. I am thinking about doing this, though I don't know how to get the word out. I would have a few very good references - it's just a matter of letting people know.

jjade: I did look into DSPCA - the only thing is, it seems to be one of the few places that is VERY hard to get to using Dublin Bus :(:( You are so lucky you volunteer there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Ashton Pound is always glad to see people walking dogs - any day of the week and especially at weekends when the staff can't walk all the dogs. The train station is reasonably close to the pound so it's only a walk from it (train goes from town!).

Opening times are 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (closed for lunch 1pm to 2pm) and 10am to 12pm (noon) Saturday and Sunday, and holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

you would definitely need a van/car for the dog walking as time wise its not worth your while using public transport.

If you dedicate the next month to getting set up you could have a really successful business.

First, visit your local enterprise board. Their job is to help you out and give you information and set you on the right path.

You can get fliers / business cards / brochures etc. free on www.vistaprint.ie and you juat pay the tax and shipping.

Once you have these, get out the phone book and phone all the vets and pet shops in your local area. Ask them could you pop in to introduce yourself, as your an animal lover and your using the current economy as an opportunity for a career change into a field your passionate about (if they dont have time for an appointment then drop in unannounced!!). By meeting these people they are much more likely to remember you and recommend you and try and support you. Leave some business cards and if they have a notice board put up a poster!!

Next make a facebook page and go through animal related facebook pages and leave comments or add their friends.

Another handy way to get clients is go to a nearby park where a lot of people walk their dogs and hand out business cards and introduce yourself briefly.

You'll fly it!!!

I suggest putting together a questionaire/ information sheet to have your clients fill in to make sure dogs are social with other dogs and up to date with vaccinations.

I suggest only taking neutered/spayed dogs.

Pet sitting can be done by either staying over in the animals home (providing house security too) or visit the pets morning, afternoon and evening.

By the way, with the dog walking, you soon think of the dogs as your own, so soon you can have lots and lots of your own pets!!!

CreedonsDogDayc: thank you so much for this most helpful post. Since I am still stuck in the middle of nowhere, I might start by cat-sitting as I can do that without transport, for the first few weeks. Then, once I know I'm going to be based in Dublin on a permanent basis I will get cracking with dog walking/driving etc. Since I have worked with rescues, I even have questionnaires/lots of literature that I still use - plus I absolutely LOVE animals and have no problem administering medication or treating every animal as if it were my own.

I will start doing some basic work re: cat sitting - I might even ask my former vet (who was wonderful with my own two cats and ALL the ferals we ever brought in) if he could help spread the word/put up a sign/cards etc.

In the meantime, if there is any way I can volunteer even one/two days a week to simply BE with animals again, that would be amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Do you have any experience with smaller animals like rabbits and guinea pigs? They would be quite easy to pet sit in your own home too, if the owner brought their cage. Just an idea, since people always need them to be looked after too. And they could be around cats if they were in their cage or a seperate room. You could easily read up on how to look after them if you were interested.

And have you ever thought of doing dog grooming? There are a few courses you can do, and it's very rewarding if you get a really dirty matted dog and you make it feel so much better after it's groomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭mollymascara

Have you considered fostering? There are plenty of organisation that look for volunteers to foster the animals they have. No travelling involved really (except for the initial interview/pick up)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What about Dogs Aid? You can get to them on the number 83 bus from the city centre, they're about a 20min walk from the bus-stop...

Dogs Aid - I think I fostered for them before, Maggie is at Dogs Aid, isnt it? :) If they are only 20 min walk from 83 bus, I would definately volunteer :):)

Yes, I used to foster cats and dogs but am going to be moving up to rented bedsit/studio type accommodation for the first while so :(

Am going to ring Ashton pound too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yep, that's her! A number of the volunteers get the 83, it's a frequent bus I think.....

Advertisement