Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations to Walter Smith and all at Rangers on title no 53

• 25-04-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

A big hearty congratulations to Walter Smith on leading Rangers to SPL title 53. The good guys don't always achieve the success they deserve, so its great to see Walter being rewarded. He is working without a contract due to Rangers financial difficulties according to commentators today so its nice to see that sort of loyalty being rewarded. Football nowadays is littered with spoilt overpaid brats who havent had to work hard for their success so this success makes a pleasant change. Celtic have been poor this season, but you can only beat whats put in front of you and to win title having lost only two games shows remarkable consistency even by SPL standards. Hopefully Celtic can find a special manager to lead them next season, because he will have to be special to get the better of Smith should he still be in charge next season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Fair play to Rangers.

Worthy winners. Delighted for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

The man is second only to the great Bill Struth. The greatest Rangers manager in my generation, and i have a feeling i will be able to say that untill the day i die.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Eirebear wrote: »
    The man is second only to the great Bill Struth. The greatest Rangers manager in my generation, and i have a feeling i will be able to say that untill the day i die.

Dont know anything about Struth mate, but Walter has had a fantastic career and his success is richly deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Fair Play:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Brewster wrote: »
    Dont know anything about Struth mate, but Walter has had a fantastic career and his success is richly deserved.
    Well done but at same time will the Rangers Celtic dominance be broken up any time soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rangers will loose 6 players in the Summer I think and have no money to replace them. the whole SLP bandwagon appears to have lost 3 of its wheels. The sheer scale of the Old Firm set up means it can't be allowed to fail really but they seem to be fighting against a long term decline of the Scottish top flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

mike65 wrote: »
    Rangers will loose 6 players in the Summer I think and have no money to replace them. the whole SLP bandwagon appears to have lost 3 of its wheels. The sheer scale of the Old Firm set up means it can't be allowed to fail really but they seem to be fighting against a long term decline of the Scottish top flight.

No one knows what will happen at Rangers in the summer we may lose 6 players we may lose two or three we may also get a buyer who is willing to invest some money on players. Who know we will just have to wait and see.

But in the meantime congratulations to The Rangers on there 53rd title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

...and to think that some Rangers fans were calling for his head last year.

He has done an absolutely incredible job with Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

No one knows what will happen at Rangers in the summer we may lose 6 players we may lose two or three we may also get a buyer who is willing to invest some money on players. Who know we will just have to wait and see.

But in the meantime congratulations to The Rangers on there 53rd title
    Danny Wilson was linked with Liverpool. How good is he?

Danny Wilson was linked with Liverpool. How good is he?

Great young player you have to remember he stood in for Bougherra a fair bit this season he still has a lot to learn and at time can be bullied by big strikers but he has time on his side to bulk up a bit. I really hope he goes nowhere but the lure of the Premiership may be to much for him to resist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Yes, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

All you need to know is he went out in a boat with the previous manager (Wilton?) and he didn't make it back alive and Struth got the job.....

Rangers were the better team, limited at best squad butSmith got them playing like their lives depended on it, but do we need a second thread on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

but do we need a second thread on this?

Someone ruined the last one ranting about Tina fúcking Turner

All you need to know is he went out in a boat with the previous manager (Wilton?) and he didn't make it back alive and Struth got the job.....

Are tinfoil hats the norm where you come from?

Rangers were the better team, limited at best squad butSmith got them playing like their lives depended on it, but do we need a second thread on this?

You really can't resist the petty jibes can you ;)

Des wrote: »
    Someone ruined the last one ranting about Tina fúcking Turner

I think calling Celtic fans scum and using a pejoritive and offensive term for Catholics probably did that job before I got there. Funny that you didn't find that objectionable...

You really can't resist the petty jibes can you ;)

Which bit, mentioning the suspicious circumstances in which Wilton died or congratulating you on the league? :pac:

I think calling Celtic fans scum and using a pejoritive and offensive term for Catholics probably did that job before I got there. Funny that you didn't find that objectionable...

Once again he apoligised for using the term scum but you don't want to acknowledge that as for the term timmy stop calling yourself's tims then you really are a bit of a crybaby aren't you
    Which bit, mentioning the suspicious circumstances in which Wilton died or congratulating you on the league? :pac:

Was there ever any charges brought NO was he Struth under suspicion of any wrongdoing NO was it a tragic accident IMO and most others YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

scottish footie is a joke , WS would be lucky to keep a team in the EPL tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,367 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Why am I not surprised?

• Advertisement

We know we don't have the best league in the world if thats all you have to say why not just stay out of the thread

Quality statement, go read what Sir Alex said about Walter today. You clearly have no appreciation of the difficult circumstances he has been working under. Incidentally, your statement is also factually incorrect. Walter took a bankrupt Everton team to the upper echolons of the Premier league and was John Giles nomination for manager of the year that particular season, so your assertion that Walter would be lucky to keep a team in the EPL is in fact the real joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Quality statement, go read what Sir Alex said about Walter today. You clearly have no appreciation of the difficult circumstances he has been working under. Incidentally, your statement is also factually incorrect. Walter took a bankrupt Everton team to the upper echolons of the Premier league and was John Giles nomination for manager of the year that particular season, so your assertion that Walter would be lucky to keep a team in the EPL is in fact the real joke.
    He's an Everton fan?! Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think he's done a great job clubs who normally face uncertainty find it difficult to perform to there highest level and he has somehow managed them to perform at a high level for an entire season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I think he's done a great job clubs who normally face uncertainty find it difficult to perform to there highest level and he has somehow managed them to perform at a high level for an entire season.

He also got sacked from Everton, for um.... lets says obsecure signings. :rolleyes:

He was good at Everton for a 'spell', but arent all managers good for a 'spell' with a team. hell even Phil Brown was good for a spell at hull

I stand by what I said anyway, Rangers would at most be mid table team in the prem. if at all.

Scottish prem is below Championship level., look at the teams in it ffs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He took Everton to 13th in the Prem and had money to spend too at the time.

I stand by what I said anyway, Rangers would at most be mid table team in the prem. if at all.
    Cant disagree, but then it all comes down to money at the end of the day. if Rangers and Celtic could survive at mid table in the premiership on their current sqauds and budgets then it would be a hell of a success.

Wrong wrong and wrong.

You just need to look at the players who have left Scotland to play in the Championship in recent years.

Charlie Adam, Chris Burke, Graeme Dorrans, Scott McDonald, all hugely succesful down their this season. Christ even Gavin Rae managed a good spell down there!

He also got sacked from Everton, for um.... lets says obsecure signings. :rolleyes:

He was good at Everton for a 'spell', but arent all managers good for a 'spell' with a team. hell even Phil Brown was good for a spell at hull

Thats a different argument, I have no idea of how Rangers would perform in premiership, I suspect theyd struggle, maybe just avoid relegation. I posted this thread out of respect for a fantastic manager who has performed miracles with an average group of players. Could Walter Smith manage in the Premiership or at a higher level in another league? Well its an unqualified yes for me. He has that quality whereby he gets the best out of players no matter who they are, and gets them performing as a team and creates a mentality of "us" against the rest. He was far from perfect at Everton but overall he was a success under trying circumstances, and I suspect he is a better manager now than he was 10 years ago. The money he had at Everton was not substanial. He bought some quality players in Dacourt and Matterazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Have to say Walter Smith is a good manager and has done well considering the resources he has had,my only gripe is that they had to win it at Easter Road for the third bloody time and second in five years :(.

• Advertisement

1967 wrote: »
    Have to say Walter Smith is a good manager and has done well considering the resources he has had,my only gripe is that they had to win it at Easter Road for the third bloody time and second in five years :(.

At least the lads behind the old stand enjoyed it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Thats a different argument, I have no idea of how Rangers would perform in premiership, I suspect theyd struggle, maybe just avoid relegation. I posted this thread out of respect for a fantastic manager who has performed miracles with an average group of players. Could Walter Smith manage in the Premiership or at a higher level in another league? Well its an unqualified yes for me. He has that quality whereby he gets the best out of players no matter who they are, and gets them performing as a team and creates a mentality of "us" against the rest. He was far from perfect at Everton but overall he was a success under trying circumstances, and I suspect he is a better manager now than he was 10 years ago. The money he had at Everton was not substanial. He bought some quality players in Dacourt and Matterazi

For a Rugby fan you sure seem to know a wee bit.

Did you get your subscription to Rangers News re-newed?

Seriously, there is no need for this thread. SPL is utter tosh.

Seriously Brewster, all this I'm-a-"Neutral"-But-I-Got-Love-For-Rangers thing is getting old.

Osu wrote: »

Of course!

The football in Scotland is not good enough to be spoken about on the magnificent Boards.ie! Why havnt we all realised this before?!

Mind you Osu, you obviously spend time reading about it if you feel the need to comment on Brewsters characteristics...?:confused:

Of course!

The football in Scotland is not good enough to be spoken about on the magnificent Boards.ie! Why havnt we all realised this before?!

Mind you Osu, you obviously spend time reading about it if you feel the need to comment on Brewsters characteristics...?:confused:

Rangers fan... :rolleyes:

Ruins your point a tad.

Ruins your point a tad.

It does I thought the point was for someone who the SPL is tosh you seem to know anawful lot about certain people who posts on threads about it ;)

Ruins your point a tad.

Really...is that the best you can come up with?

• Advertisement

It does I thought the point was for someone who the SPL is tosh you seem to know anawful lot about certain people who posts on threads about it ;)

SPL is tosh, internet threads on the SPL don't cause my eyes to implode, unlike watching the SPL.

Make sense, then reply.

SPL is tosh, internet threads on the SPL don't cause my eyes to implode, unlike watching the SPL.

Make sense, then reply.

Thats rich!

Another thread ruined by idiots, god bless the Soccer Forum!

Make sense, then reply.

Can I ask out of interest who you support

If it makes your eyes implode its simple don't watch it I am sure no one ties you to a chair and forces you to

Thats rich!

Another thread ruined by idiots, god bless the Soccer Forum!

Only if I had a side-kick to thank my posts too... :rolleyes:
    Can I ask out of interest who you support

Manchester United

For a Rugby fan you sure seem to know a wee bit.

Did you get your subscription to Rangers News re-newed?

Seriously Brewster, all this I'm-a-"Neutral"-But-I-Got-Love-For-Rangers thing is getting old.

If you haven't anything constructive to say please don't bother. I watch football on TV and have done for many years. As I say, this thread is to Congratulate Walter Smith for another fantastic season, if you do not wish to do this, please take your comments to another thread. I wont be getting into a long winded debate about this either.

• Advertisement

Manchester United

So your opinion is irrelevent. Man U are the football team picked by people who know nothing about football. I'm with the Bears on this one, you are contributing nothing here.

If the rest of us are forced to wade through interminible arguments between Dublin based Man U and Liverpool fans, the Gers can celebrate an unlikely and deserved league title. We ignore the tedium that are the Man U threads, why not have the same respect for the SPL fans.

If you haven't anything constructive to say please don't bother. I watch football on TV and have done for many years. As I say, this thread is to Congratulate Walter Smith for another fantastic season, if you do not wish to do this, please take your comments to another thread. I wont be getting into a long winded debate about this either.

You must be delighted, being a Rangers fan.

What did you make of the British Customs going after Rangers for £24m? Have they a case with these offshore payments? If so, surely that money could have gone to your beloved army... :pac:

You must be delighted, being a Rangers fan.

What did you make of the British Customs going after Rangers for £24m? Have they a case with these offshore payments? If so, surely that money could have gone to your beloved army... :pac:

As I said to Osu, this thread is about congratulating Walter Smith on winning the title. I have no interest discussing anything off topic. Please keep my thread on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Belated congrats to Rangers. Didn't they win the Scottish League Cup too?

Was there ever any charges brought NO was he Struth under suspicion of any wrongdoing NO was it a tragic accident IMO and most others YES

Row row row your but gently up the stream
    Wilton going overboard
    Struthy stole the team

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Belated congrats to Rangers. Didn't they win the Scottish League Cup too?

That is correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Why do you feel the need to start a thread congratulating Glasgow Rangers on an Irish forum?

I don't even watch the Scottish League anymore, the standard has really gone down over the past few years since Martin O'Neill and Alex McLeish left Celtic and Rangers respectively.

And anyways its either going to be Celtic or Rangers winning the league title. I could maybe understand if you were congratulating them for their 50th but 53rd? Whats the big deal about a 53rd league title?

Also you mention difficult circumstances, in comparison to what other Scottish teams? I'm sure they have a bigger wage bill than all except Celtic, and thats even if they have a lesser one than Celtic.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to start a thread congratulating Glasgow Rangers on an Irish forum?

I don't even watch the Scottish League anymore, the standard has really gone down over the past few years since Martin O'Neill and Alex McLeish left Celtic and Rangers respectively.

And anyways its either going to be Celtic or Rangers winning the league title. I could maybe understand if you were congratulating them for their 50th but 53rd? Whats the big deal about a 53rd league title?

Also you mention difficult circumstances, in comparison to what other Scottish teams? I'm sure they have a bigger wage bill than all except Celtic, and thats even if they have a lesser one than Celtic.

Why shouldn't he is it against the rules get off your high horse

Wilton going overboard
    Struthy stole the team

Really showing up your mentality there

Wilton going overboard
    Struthy stole the team

Wow....true class there man.

Whats next in your repertoire? maybe a cheerful wee ditty about the Ibrox disaster?

• Advertisement
Advertisement