Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Congratulations to Walter Smith and all at Rangers on title no 53

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Row row row your but gently up the stream
    Wilton going overboard
    Struthy stole the team

You start whinging and playing the victim about a Tina Turner song, then post this?

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to start a thread congratulating Glasgow Rangers on an Irish forum?

I don't even watch the Scottish League anymore, the standard has really gone down over the past few years since Martin O'Neill and Alex McLeish left Celtic and Rangers respectively.

And anyways its either going to be Celtic or Rangers winning the league title. I could maybe understand if you were congratulating them for their 50th but 53rd? Whats the big deal about a 53rd league title?

Also you mention difficult circumstances, in comparison to what other Scottish teams? I'm sure they have a bigger wage bill than all except Celtic, and thats even if they have a lesser one than Celtic.

This place is inundated with English threads. Rangers are just as entitled to be here as them.

Really showing up your mentality there
    Eirebear wrote: »
    Wow....true class there man.

Whats next in your repertoire? maybe a cheerful wee ditty about the Ibrox disaster?

:pac:

The latter can be arranged.

Des wrote: »
    You start whinging and playing the victim about a Tina Turner song, then post this?

:confused:

The Tina Turner song was banned for its sectarian overtones.

Asking a question about how two men in a boat go out in a lake, one comes back, and he gets the dead mans job is hardly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

eagle eye wrote: »
    Why do you feel the need to start a thread congratulating Glasgow Rangers on an Irish forum?

I don't even watch the Scottish League anymore, the standard has really gone down over the past few years since Martin O'Neill and Alex McLeish left Celtic and Rangers respectively.

And anyways its either going to be Celtic or Rangers winning the league title. I could maybe understand if you were congratulating them for their 50th but 53rd? Whats the big deal about a 53rd league title?

Also you mention difficult circumstances, in comparison to what other Scottish teams? I'm sure they have a bigger wage bill than all except Celtic, and thats even if they have a lesser one than Celtic.

The main gist of the thread was to congratulate Walter Smith as opposed to congratulating Rangers per say. Not that there is anything wrong about congratulating Rangers on an Irish forum IMHO (21st Century et al). Walter has had to work under the most extreme pressures this season and has being working without a contract since January. How many football managers do you know working under these circumstances, regardless of the league? The league is irrelevant to be honest. The point I was trying to make was that such loyalty deserves the success he has achieved. Its a fabulous footballing story, and as an Irishman I see no problem saluting him. Too many involved in football these days are motivated by money and not the love of the game, Walter Smith bucks this trend and then some....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Brewster wrote: »
    The main gist of the thread was to congratulate Walter Smith as opposed to congratulating Rangers per say. Not that there is anything wrong about congratulating Rangers on an Irish forum IMHO (21st Century et al).

Nice sentiments but how 21st Century to you think folks in Ibrox would be with a Rangers fan bringing a tricolour in with them?

What a short memory Shels fans have of Rangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I COULDA MANAGED RANGERS AND THEY WOULD HAVE WON THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON.

Congrats Walter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What a short memory Shels fans have of Rangers.

Is Brewster a Shels fan?

Also, why ANYONE brings any national flag to any club game is beyond me. Pure idiocy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Gotta love the wee man, tell it like it is Nacho! :D
    Daily Record.
    Nacho Novo was in the mood for a party. You might have noticed. He was the wee man in the Union Jack blazer wearing a sombrero and weighed down under a job lot of red, white and blue scarves.

On Sunday at Easter Road, the little Spaniard celebrated his club's latest title success like there was no tomorrow. And there's a very good reason for that.

For Nacho Novo, at Rangers, there might well BE no tomorrow. His six-year love affair with the Ibrox club has entered the final phase. And Novo - who knows he could be a goner in just over one week's time - is determined to savour every last minute.

So Novo makes no excuses for grabbing centre stage at the weekend celebrating the third title of his Rangers career. He says this one is the most special of all the trophy successes he has enjoyed since moving to Glasgow on a cut-price fee from Dundee in the summer of 2004.

And not just because it might be his last one.

Novo, speaking exclusively to Record Sport, said: "The other two titles I have won with Rangers were maybe more exciting because we won them on the last day of the season. But this one is a little bit more special because of the circumstances. All season people have been talking about our team and about all the problems we have.

"People from Celtic keep telling us we are not good enough. But at the end of the day we are the champions. It makes me happy to shut some of those mouths.

"It's very simple. Play football and win some games rather than talk, talk, talk. Celtic have moaned about everything this season. They have moaned about referees, they have moaned about decisions, they have moaned about the SFA. They have blamed everyone but themselves. But the one thing I need to have a go about is the comments made by Tony Mowbray. He said he would never play football the way that Walter does and that was a ridiculous thing to say.

"All managers have their own ideas on how to play the game and that's fine. But for Mowbray to come up here and criticise Walter's tactics? Who does he think he is?

"Ok, maybe if he had come up here and won some trophies then fair enough. But he was here for five minutes and he thought he had the right to say these things? That was not good enough.

"He said we played bad football and that we were defensive. He said he would never be a manager like Walter. He was right about that. Walter is the man who won nine in a row. How many titles has Mowbray won? "The gaffer took our team to a UEFA Cup Final. Mowbray couldn't even take Celtic to the League Cup Final."

Novo insists the strong bond that Smith has forged with his players is what drove Rangers over the finishing line - and says the Ibrox manager should now be in line for a knighthood after securing the ninth title of his career.

Respect

He said: "We know we are not the best players in the world.

"But I will tell you this about us, we have a big pair of balls and we fight for each other like a real team and that's what wins you titles.

"Celtic had all the money this season when we had nothing. Celtic had a big squad when, at some stages, we hardly had enough players to fill the substitutes bench. But we kept going. We put all our problems to one side and we got on with playing football. The manager was always there for us.

"I love him as a manager and as a person. He is amazing. For me it is time we call him Sir Walter Smith.

"Maybe if Mowbray had the same attitude then his team would have given us a fight. It was only when Neil Lennon took over that Celtic began to look like a team again.

"In one way what Mowbray said really annoyed me. But now it doesn't seem to matter so much. We are the champions and second place? That's nothing. Winning this title was the best way for us to shut them up."

But Novo is still full of respect for Celtic's caretaker boss Lennon.

He added: "Lennon is the best thing that can happen to them. They should forget about all the other names and make him the manager now.

"He was put in a very bad situation taking over from Mowbray. But he's won five league games in a row with these same players and for me they should give him the job right now.

"You need a manager who knows what it means to be in charge of an Old Firm club. Lennon knows what Celtic are all about - his contribution to that club has been phenomenal.

Emotional

"If they give him the job then Celtic will give us a proper challenge next season. Lennon will bring the competition back."

Novo, though, is far from certain to stick around for the next SPL battle. He is out of contract at the end of next month and has so far failed to agree on a new deal.

Middlesbrough boss Gordon Strachan has already opened talks with Novo's advisers about a possible Bosman move but more offers are set to follow.

And Novo admits the uncertainty gave him all the more reason to celebrate Sunday's victory in style. He said: "You always get emotional when you win a trophy. But of course, there is also the possibility I will leave the club this summer and so this might be my last ever title. If I am going to leave Rangers then it will be hard because I love this club.

"For me, part of the club are the fans and they've been great with me. That's why I wanted to celebrate with them. They deserve everything.

"I just wanted to enjoy it with them because I know it might be the last time I get the chance. Right now I don't know if I'll stay or not - that's the truth.

"But I have to say, if this is the end for me, then it's going to hurt me a lot."

NOVO ON MOWBRAY

Who does he think he is? Walter got to a UEFA Final ... he couldn't get Celts to the League Cup Final

NOVO ON WALTER

Walter is the man who won nine in a row ... how many titles has Mowbray won? Celtic just moan

NOVO ON LENNON

Neil is the best thing that can happen to them ... with him in charge, we'll get a challenge

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Is Brewster a Shels fan?

Also, why ANYONE brings any national flag to any club game is beyond me. Pure idiocy.

Talk about (intentionally) missing the point.

As I said... what a short memory Shels fans have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Eirebear wrote: »
    Gotta love the wee man, tell it like it is Nacho! :D
    Daily Record.

Much as it pains me to say it, and it REALLY does pain me with Novo, I can't argue with a word of it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

nuxxx wrote: »
    I COULDA MANAGED RANGERS AND THEY WOULD HAVE WON THE LEAGUE LAST SEASON.
    Most clueless stupidest statement ever on the soccer forum.

Talk about (intentionally) missing the point.

As I said... what a short memory Shels fans have.

"I'm from Dublin and I follow Rangers cos I'm mad"

Its ok Des, we see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Its ok Des, we see you.

I think everyone knows there's a fair ew Rangers fans in Dublin ;)

Its ok Des, we see you.

There is no happy medium on here as I have found out to my cost. Its so petty. You either "hate" Rangers as some posters seem to think is your national duty as an Irishman, or your a Rangers "supporter"! There is no middle ground at all where guys like me can respect them as a club yet ultimately dont give a crap should they win, lose or draw....... Its laughable, really is.

• Advertisement

I think everyone knows there's a fair ew Rangers fans in Dublin ;)

Expats is one thing, no problem from me there and the fact that Dublin Loyal can drink in Frasers is testament to the tolerance of Dublin.

Dubs picking Rangers for 'shock' value is tedium in the extreme.

There is no happy medium on here as I have found out to my cost. Its so petty. You either "hate" Rangers as some posters seem to think is your national duty as an Irishman, or your a Rangers "supporter"! There is no middle ground at all where guys like me can respect them as a club yet ultimately dont give a crap should they win, lose or draw....... Its laughable, really is.

No Brewster, whats laughable is that you deny being a Rangers fan. No-one cares, why deny it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

So your opinion is irrelevent. Man U are the football team picked by people who know nothing about football. I'm with the Bears on this one, you are contributing nothing here.

If the rest of us are forced to wade through interminible arguments between Dublin based Man U and Liverpool fans, the Gers can celebrate an unlikely and deserved league title. We ignore the tedium that are the Man U threads, why not have the same respect for the SPL fans.

Not really being supporting them since 1991.

Your not the football sheriff who decides who knows what about football. Seriously, that's pathetic.

What I find odd is the amount of controversial stuff that you come out with about Celtic yet you tow the party line with Rangers.

For instance... look at the story relating to Rangers being in trouble with the taxman? I have absolutely no doubt that if that was Celtic you'd be constantly posting about it but you have said nothing on it and the implications it has for Rangers and the possibility that they will have a senior squad of only 16 next season.

Osu wrote: »
    Not really being supporting them since 1991.

Your not the football sheriff who decides who knows what about football. Seriously, that's pathetic.

You are the one coming on here saying there shouldn't be a thread! How does that make me a sheriff?

Be consistant. Either noise up all the British football team threads or none of them.

• Advertisement

What I find odd is the amount of controversial stuff that you come out with about Celtic yet you tow the party line with Rangers.

For instance... look at the story relating to Rangers being in trouble with the taxman? I have absolutely no doubt that if that was Celtic you'd be constantly posting about it but you have said nothing on it and the implications it has for Rangers and the possibility that they will have a senior squad of only 16 next season.

Eh, cos I couldnt give a curse perhaps!? Its actually supports my view that I am not a Rangers supporter, yet you try and twist it around the other way that if it was about Celtic Id be posting about it!! You couldn't make it up.

No Brewster, whats laughable is that you deny being a Rangers fan. No-one cares, why deny it?

Exactly, why would I deny it? Why bother like? Pity there arent more Celtic fans like BMcGov around to pick you guys up on your nonsense. I repeat, either Rangers hater, or Rangers supporter in this country. Sad sad sad...... It spoils thread for other posters, this is the annoying thing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

The main gist of the thread was to congratulate Walter Smith as opposed to congratulating Rangers per say. .

Grand, well done Walter Smith!
    I couldn't congratulate the other crowd! In the Ranger's fans opinions do ye think the standard is dropping in Scotland, some of Celtic's performances were dire this year and yet they finished a comfortable second that allied to the dreadful European results doesn't augur well for the future, with the co-efficient dropping as well, the future seems pretty bleak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

patmac wrote: »
    Grand, well done Walter Smith!
    I couldn't congratulate the other crowd! In the Ranger's fans opinions do ye think the standard is dropping in Scotland, some of Celtic's performances were dire this year and yet they finished a comfortable second that allied to the dreadful European results doesn't augur well for the future, with the co-efficient dropping as well, the future seems pretty bleak.

It's very bleak to be honest the game in Scotland needs a shake up from top to bottom the trouble is the suits in charge will always look after themselves first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

...and to think that some Rangers fans were calling for his head last year.

He has done an absolutely incredible job with Rangers.
    bobbysands81 in 'positive Rangers post' shocker!! :D

grenache wrote: »
    bobbysands81 in 'positive Rangers post' shocker!! :D

Got to be fair to Bobby here we might not agree much but at least he can say positive things without having wee digs

You are the one coming on here saying there shouldn't be a thread! How does that make me a sheriff?

Be consistant. Either noise up all the British football team threads or none of them.

That comment is ridiculous. Nothing short of an epic fail on the end of a lot of your atrocious statements in this thread. Don't have a pop if you can't finish it.

That comment is ridiculous. Nothing short of an epic fail on the end of a lot of your atrocious statements in this thread. Don't have a pop if you can't finish it.

No its not. You said that this thread had no place on an Irish forum. Why not? Why this one and not the thousands of other foreign football ones?

You were either playing the uber fenian or the smartarsé and it was infantile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Coming from you? That's a tad rich isn't it?

• Advertisement

No its not. You said that this thread had no place on an Irish forum. Why not? Why this one and not the thousands of other foreign football ones?

I find, that, that word is a pejorative term. Don't lower yourself to that crap.

The only thing that is infantile about this whole thread is you.

And your posting rubbish again. Don't be so infantile, I never said it has no place on an Irish forum, I said there was no need for it. I don't see a thread for every club that wins their league under financial difficulties, especially criminal clubs at that.

Cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I don't see a thread for every club that wins their league under financial difficulties, especially criminal clubs at that.

Was probably one on Bohs last season after winning the LoI, and there was one on Man Utd too and no doubt there will be on Man Utd or Chelsea in a few more weeks, etc...

I find, that, that word is a pejorative term. Don't lower yourself to that crap.

And your posting rubbish again. Don't be so infantile, I never said it has no place on an Irish forum, I said there was no need for it. I don't see a thread for every club that wins their league under financial difficulties, especially criminal clubs at that.

Cop on.

Enlighten me please

Enlighten me please

Tax fraud...

Tax fraud...

Fail Nothing has been proved there has been no court case as of yet.

Never heard of innocent until proven guilty;)

Yes, okay.

A club £31Million in debt gets investigated over tax fraud. OMG so not true... Your the one who fails if you believe there is nothing to this...

Sounds like Father Ted's charity money 'resting' in his bank account.

I'm sure David Murray was just 'resting' the money in his off-shore bank account only to pay the taxes later. :rolleyes:

Yes, okay.

A club £31Million in debt gets investigated over tax fraud. OMG so not true... Your the one who fails if you believe there is nothing to this...

Sounds like Father Ted's charity money 'resting' in his bank account.

I'm sure David Murray was just 'resting' the money in his off-shore bank account only to pay the taxes later. :rolleyes:

I never said that I didn't believe it I said no charges have been brought and innocent until proven guilty there's a big difference.
    Hope you never find yourself under investigation for anything and people are saying you are guilty before you have even been charged.

The point is you called them a criminal club they are not;)

Cop on.

Osu, I have explained the reasoning behind thread. It was to laud one individual Walter Smith as much as anything. The man has been working without a contract and I simply wanted to say it was nice to see this loyalty being rewarded with a league title success in a footballing world where greed and money and basic lack of loyalty is so prevelant. Its a good story regardless of the league, I would say the same about any club anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fair play Walter, seriously impressive achievement no contract and a squad who knew they were being sold at the end of the season.

Sadly no added bonus of stopping celtic win a league, they were awful all season wasnt even a contest.

• Advertisement

Ironside isn't denying he did it, he is saying that its not illegal and he has legal advice to that effect. Arsenal got hit for the exact same thing a few years ago....

Ironside isn't denying he did it, he is saying that its not illegal and he has legal advice to that effect. Arsenal got hit for the exact same thing a few years ago....

Murray isn't denying it no but the fact of the matter is the club have not been charged with anything yet and it still remains innocent until proven guilty.
    Don't get me wrong I am not defending him I have said for a long time he was running the club into the ground.

Oh and what age are you the man lost his legs in an accident and you still have to resort to petty name calling which I find rather ironic considering the fuss you have been making about other things on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement