Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biofeedback for Chronic Pain

Options
  • 25-04-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience of Biofeedback treatment or if it's practiced much in Ireland?
    Is it something that would be helpfull for chronic headaches and backpain for example

http://www.aapb.org/
    What is Biofeedback? Biofeedback has evolved from a fascination in the 1960s and 70s to a mainstream methodology today for treating certain medical conditions and improving human performance. This evolution has been driven by years of scientific research demonstrating that the mind and body are connected, and that people can be taught to harness the power of this connection to change physical activity and improve health and function. Public interest in biofeedback is growing, and with it the need for a clear answer to the question, “what is biofeedback?” The leading professional organizations representing the field have answered with the following standard definition:

Biofeedback is a process that enables an individual to learn how to change physiological activity for the purposes of improving health and performance. Precise instruments measure physiological activity such as brainwaves, heart function, breathing, muscle activity, and skin temperature. These instruments rapidly and accurately "feed back" information to the user. The presentation of this information — often in conjunction with changes in thinking, emotions, and behavior — supports desired physiological changes. Over time, these changes can endure without continued use of an instrument.

Approved May 18, 2008 by:
    Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (AAPB)
    Biofeedback Certification Institution of America (BCIA)
    International Society for Neurofeedback and Research (ISNR)
    The quote below is very interesting, but is possible to control your own heart beat and blood pressure:confused: - is there a doctor in the house?!!
    http://www.biofeedbacktherapy.net/
    An interesting result of someone being able to know their body's systems is that they can end up controlling more muscles than were previously thought to be controllable - they can see what happens and are able to gain control over such things as their own heart, and also problems with ADHD, and muscle tension. Being able to directly control hypertension has become something that has spawned great interest - as it may be able to eventually help prevent heart attack and heart disease. Biofeedback monitoring is done through several devices, such as skin temperature measuring tools, sweat glands monitors, and Electroencephalography (EEG) machines which monitor brain activity.
    Here's the wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofeedback
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

kerash wrote: »

The quote below is very interesting, but is possible to control your own heart beat and blood pressure:confused: - is there a doctor in the house?!!

Not a doctor, but I remember seeing a programme with the magician Keith Barry and he managed to to stop his pulse, a qualified nurse checked it and she couldn't find it. Don't know how, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that!

Anyway, I had a look and came across this piece, no idea if it is in Ireland, but it would be something I'd be interested in finding out about as an option for my mother
    Biofeedback has enjoyed great success in treating numerous conditions including those related to muscle tension (temporomandibular-joint disorder, backpain, tension headaches/migraines, tendonitis, incontinence), plus anxiety, hypertension, epilepsy, some chronic pain conditions, certain breathing disorders, some types of cardiac arrhythmias, and substance abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

I was doing a search for biofeedback and saw this thread. I don't think there are that many health professionals offering biofeedback in Ireland. It is a great therapy as you learn to become aware of and control your body. In particular you learn how to deal with situations when you activate the stress response which causes all sorts of symptoms that lead to ill health.

I do know Life and Balance Centre in Rathfarnham, Dublin 14 offer the service and I would recommend them. Here's a link to their website talking about biofeedback and neurofeedback training http://www.lifeandbalance.ie/sub-page/Biofeedback-and-Neurofeedback-Training/88905

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

Not a doctor, but I remember seeing a programme with the magician Keith Barry and he managed to to stop his pulse, a qualified nurse checked it and she couldn't find it. Don't know how, but that was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw that!

Anyway, I had a look and came across this piece, no idea if it is in Ireland, but it would be something I'd be interested in finding out about as an option for my mother
    Do you really believe he stopped his pulse?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Found this thread via a search.

Biofeedback really interests me as a way of proactively trying to address rises in stress levels.

I presume that a lot has happened in the intervening 9 years.

For example, used in conjunction with some sensor equipment, is it possible to use your phone for biofeedback therapy?

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement