Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Corrib Current Dominant Fly Hatch & Fly Fishing Conditions?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Looking for daily current updates on the condition of dominant fly hatches on Lough Corrib for 2010 .

What type of fly?

Amount of Fly?

What date were you on the lake this year?

How many rises did you see, or get to your fly?

Where is the hatch on the lake?

Temperature?

Wind conditions ( Direction and strength)?

Your method used? Dry or wet?

How many fish caught and average size?

Regards,

http://www.youtube.com/user/DryFlyFishing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

well lads, any recent reports from the corrib? im fishing it this thursday to sunday? winds are supposed to turn westerly by friday, will that help? will the mayfly be about? launching from Oughterard, what are the good spots around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bring extra layers, its bloody freezing. Cold northerly winds forecast for the week. Good numbers of mayfly and olives hatching but not much action at the surface with the cold wind. Trout taking buzzers and mayfly nymphs. Thats from talking to one of the top guides this evening. Had good catches today and yesterday.
    Was out on the lake myself yesterday evening and the water was still bloody cold for the time of year. Gave up after a couple of hours, was frozen!

Plenty of good fishing around Oughterard, lots of good shallows out around the islands. Inishanbo and the islands and shallows just south and east of there are favourite spots of mine

thanks for the replies
    what areas of the lake are good for trolling? presume rapalas are used?
    does the boat have to be anchored when fishing the nypmh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

well lads, any recent reports from the corrib? im fishing it this thursday to sunday? winds are supposed to turn westerly by friday, will that help? will the mayfly be about? launching from Oughterard, what are the good spots around there?

The westerly winds should defiantly help, but I think they are to veer north again over the weekend, then turn south westerly sometime next week at that stage conditions should be good.
    some people anchor when nymphing and some don’t (bring one just in case), i am not a huge fan of them on larger loughs i must admit. I think it depends upon the wind and weather conditions on the day in question and of course the type of water your are fishing, Best of luck, I will be out there myself soon.

can anyone recommend 3 wet flies and sizes that they use on the corrib this time of year? also am i better going with epoxy buzzers or mayfly nymph?

• Advertisement

thirtypence....there are legions of wet mayfly patterns out there at the moment...you will have no problem picking up some in the tackle shop.....if fishing nymph this is a different style of fishing and i would fish weighted mayfly nymphs deep in calm-ish water....you can fish a team of three flies and therefore you can mix in a grey or olive buzzer pupa on the cast with the mayfly nymphs..but when nymph fishing fish the flies dead slow and erratically....try to avoid a fluent retrieve.....

really to simplify you have three options, under three headings,

1 - WET. traditional wet fly in a rolling wave - golden olive bumble, various greendrakes, kilkenny mayfly, octopus etc etc there are hundreds of wet patterns in size 10 and 12. i would not bother with bigger than 10, but that is a personal choice.
    2 - DRY. dry fly on the surface in calmer water - again plenty of choice but i would look for grey wulf, moseley mayfly, red humpys etc again size 10 or 12 but 12 might be better.
    3 - SUNK. nymph tactics as described above.

Really the tactics that you deploy depend upon,
    1 - weather conditions on the day.
    2- what natural flies are on the water.
    3 - what the fish are doing (if no fish at the surface then go down to them and use nymphs, if you see fish rising fish wets or dry's where appropriate)

avoid using traditional style hackled/bumble wet flies in calm conditions, they are less effective in calm conditions, but on that lough more often than not you will get wind and a breeze.
    when i go fishing i bring two rods one for surface fishing (Dry) and one for going down and fishing sub-surface (wet and sunk)
    hope this helps.....tight lines.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A few warm days this week, anyone down on Corrib? I'm heading down on saturday to fish the north shore for a week :)
    I'll probably be deep trolling, so sunny calm weather would be nice, but like to vairy it a bit. So I'll be fly fishing some of the time too, so is there much fish taking flys the last few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A few warm days this week, anyone down on Corrib? I'm heading down on saturday to fish the north shore for a week :)
    I'll probably be deep trolling, so sunny calm weather would be nice, but like to vairy it a bit. So I'll be fly fishing some of the time too, so is there much fish taking flys the last few days?

how did you get on, on the corrib in the past week?

fishing corrib meself tomorrow, weather doesnt look too bad to swim the auld flies.............

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Corrib fished its head off this week, we had 16 to the boat on Tuesday, spoke to a guide yesterday evening who had 14 to 4lbs on dries to his boat, another boat had 12, all over the limit (all returned anyway). We fished pike today and had 10 to 15lbs on fly.
    Still small hatches of mayfly coming off, as well as golden olives, sedges and buzzers. Couldn't stay to fish dry buzzer tonight, conditions would have been perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 gomaith2010

They use sprat there too. I was over 2 months ago and talked to an angler who had caught a huge salmon with one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stuuu

cheers for info lads

how did you get on, on the corrib in the past week?

I did deep trolling, only got a small one. Funny, northerly breeze was blowing and most locals don't even bother going out in it cos it's normally so bad, but plenty of fish caught in the islands to the south west of Innisdawee on the dap. I'm not really interested in dapping, so continued deep trolling for big ferrox, but no luck.
    Downloaded the Corrib Charts onto my car GPS, if anyone is afraid to venture into areas they don't know but would like to, get the charts, they're amazing! Did a few trolls along the north shore up to Ashford, every shallow is marked with amazing accuracy.

Was on corrib a few times in May, it was good at times and patchy others...good hatches of mayfly in some areas..but localised..we normally fished around the islands, malachys, Inishool, Inishshanboe, Urkan etc etc...have to wait now until the sedges come up then give it another lash for a few days.....

I just noticed there's 2 Innisdawee islands on Corrib!
    Here was good on the mayfly last week, around these islands

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

Was on corrib a few times in May, it was good at times and patchy others...good hatches of mayfly in some areas..but localised..we normally fished around the islands, malachys, Inishool, Inishshanboe, Urkan etc etc...have to wait now until the sedges come up then give it another lash for a few days.....

How did the Corrib treat you last weekend?

How did the Corrib treat you last weekend?
    not great to be honest...where i was it was patchy only got a couple of small ones around the 1lb mark..rose a good few to dries but they were only messing not really taking.....i saw a few others getting fish on the dap but i wasnt dapping i was mainly using dries......as usual fishing is always great before you arrive and after you leave.............

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

as usual fishing is always great before you arrive and after you leave.............

hahahah yeah nicely put. Ah sher they will be there for ya the next time out! :)

hahahah yeah nicely put. Ah sher they will be there for ya the next time out! :)

hopefully...........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

for all early season anglers , please remember most salmon caught on opening day are kelts headed back out to sea. we call them slat salmon. often caught 5 or 6 in a day trolling for brown trout. tight lines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Yossarian86

Just wondering does anyone know anything about boat rental in Cong? And how fly fishing for trout is regulated on the river in Cong? Cheers

sorry guy, not really sure about cong. you going down for duckfly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Yossarian86

No; I'm just trying to get organised for the mayfly as early as possible. I'm fairly novice to that side of the lake. I think the hatch might be a bit later this year (on account of winter's determination to hang around for the craic) but like I said, I'm fairly novice to that area. I'm really picking Cong/Clonbur as I'd like to find a nice island to camp on, so boat rental is a big thing for me.

Boat Hire in Mayo , Ireland Page 1

GoIreland.com has a list of Boat Hire in Mayo , Ireland all diaplayed on an interactive map. ... Charlestown, Claremorris, Cong, Crossmolina, Foxford, Hollymount ... Choose from our selection of boat hire in mayo county below - to view ...
    www.goireland.com › mayo - Cached - Sim

Dont know if that link is any use guy.........?

Anyone going down for duckfly, early season....?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

Boat Hire in Mayo , Ireland Page 1

GoIreland.com has a list of Boat Hire in Mayo , Ireland all diaplayed on an interactive map. ... Charlestown, Claremorris, Cong, Crossmolina, Foxford, Hollymount ... Choose from our selection of boat hire in mayo county below - to view ...
    www.goireland.com › mayo - Cached - Sim

Dont know if that link is any use guy.........?

Anyone going down for duckfly, early season....?

yip:)
    normally hit it around mid march... can be good if you hit it on the right day

What flies do you use guy????? traditional pennells etc , or new slimline buzzers, would appreciate any general advice.
    do you mix wets with buzzers???? thanks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What flies do you use guy????? traditional pennells etc , or new slimline buzzers, would appreciate any general advice.
    do you mix wets with buzzers???? thanks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would generally use small dark wets like bibio's, black pennell, blae and black, and other variant type flies id tie up myself.
    Yes buzzers and small emerger type flies are very good also but I have never mixed them with traditional wets...........how would that work while pulling the wet flies through a rolling wave? Buzzers should be retrieved very slowly no?

thanks for reply , thought bibio could be used on top dropper, like washing line method for rainbows??:rolleyes:

what size wets you use, 12s?
    Wets more productive than buzzers when hatch is on ???
    thanks

thanks for reply , thought bibio could be used on top dropper, like washing line method for rainbows??:rolleyes:

what size wets you use, 12s?
    Wets more productive than buzzers when hatch is on ???
    thanks

I think you can leave that behind for the stockies man lol.

Look the thing to remember is you're going to be fishing a huge lough in the west of ireland.....forget about size of hooks if you've never been there before? The most important thing is to know the area and places where fish hang out and feed (mostly the shallows).................then if confident about this, select a fly...........if theres a breeze with good ripple/wave select wets (no bigger than size 10) if its flat calm select buzzers/emergers. If nothing takes on a floating line consider using inter/full sinking. Also if conditions are right, you could try a small dark dry duckfly (something like a size 14 dark body & hackle with white wings).

My best advice to you is to stick to drifting around islands and use the flies/methods mentioned and you should pull out a few if the fish are feeding

Also, keep me in mind, if you're looking for a boating partner. Come the end of March I will be heading down there fairly regularly and often i end up fishin it by mmyself anyway.

• Advertisement

keppler wrote: »
    I think you can leave that behind for the stockies man lol.

Look the thing to remember is you're going to be fishing a huge lough in the west of ireland.....forget about size of hooks if you've never been there before? The most important thing is to know the area and places where fish hang out and feed (mostly the shallows).................then if confident about this, select a fly...........if theres a breeze with good ripple/wave select wets (no bigger than size 10) if its flat calm select buzzers/emergers. If nothing takes on a floating line consider using inter/full sinking. Also if conditions are right, you could try a small dark dry duckfly (something like a size 14 dark body & hackle with white wings).

My best advice to you is to stick to drifting around islands and use the flies/methods mentioned and you should pull out a few if the fish are feeding

Also, keep me in mind, if you're looking for a boating partner. Come the end of March I will be heading down there fairly regularly and often i end up fishin it by mmyself anyway.

good advice there, early in the season you could also try small hares ear or march brown for trout feeding on shrimps and louse.

Advertisement