Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Corrib Current Dominant Fly Hatch & Fly Fishing Conditions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

thanks guy, have a boat me self on lower lake, good advice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Yossarian86

Boat Hire in Mayo , Ireland Page 1

GoIreland.com has a list of Boat Hire in Mayo , Ireland all diaplayed on an interactive map. ... Charlestown, Claremorris, Cong, Crossmolina, Foxford, Hollymount ... Choose from our selection of boat hire in mayo county below - to view ...
    www.goireland.com › mayo - Cached - Sim

Dont know if that link is any use guy.........?

Anyone going down for duckfly, early season....?

It is; cheers man. Tight lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Corr Cam

Any body catch anything on opening day?:confused:

well lads any fly life down there yet, heard a few are now being caught trolling, anyone see duckfly yet???????????:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Never fished a Lough before, maybe this summer if I get an opportunity..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Fished Sunday 20th Feb for the afternoon, was freezing cold and virtually totally lifeless. Had one trout of about 1.5lbs on a small black buzzer fished well down in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

well lads any fly life down there yet, heard a few are now being caught trolling, anyone see duckfly yet???????????:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

no duckfly yet wait until around 20 of March.

lake is still freezing, no sign of any fly life??????????? anyone got any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

lake is still freezing, no sign of any fly life??????????? anyone got any ideas

Wait til it warms up?

Water temp was only 6.4C last Thursday when I was fishing, still quite cold. Give it a week or two and we should start seeing good duckfly hatches, there are a few hatching already but in v small numbers...

I am heading out from Cong in a few days. Anyone have any advice on methods/flies? Can I ask, and forgive my ignorance, how exactly a buzzer or emerger should be fished? Any help - much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Not an expert on buzzers but as I understand it you normally fish a team (depending on your experience and casting ability) of 3 to 4 buzzers on around 12-20ft of leader with about 4 feet between the buzzers. Normally the heaviest buzzer is fished on the point to help the leader get down and a bit of mud will help it sink and reduce the shine on the leader.

You fish them on a floating line and cast straight out if you are fishing from a boat. You don't retrieve the line as such, just bring in any slack to keep in contact with the buzzers as you drift. The theory of the floating line is that the end of the floating line will act as a strike indicator so when you see it move you know one of the buzzers has been taken.

I think and this is where I stand to be corrected that you don't actually strike when you see the take, I think you continue to retrieve slowly and almost lift into the fish rather than a strike as you'd do for a wet or dry fly.

That's the limit of my knowledge I'm afraid...tight lines..!!

@Caribs. Thanks, I really appreciate that. It's something similar to how I was fishing them but I wasn't 100% certain. That's killer advice; thank you. Was on the upper lake yesterday. I didn't take a temperature but it was still quite cold. There's a good olive hatch, though, with some feeding off the top. Tight Lines. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

lads, im heading to fish the corrib on thursday for 3 days.....weather is to be showery, wind from the north west and cool, are these conditons poor?

any tips / tricks appreciated!?

thanks

lads, im heading to fish the corrib on thursday for 3 days.....weather is to be showery, wind from the north west and cool, are these conditons poor?

thanks

Before the change in weather the fish were on dries, but with the conditions this week and the cooler weather, wetfly is prob your best bet. Showery weather is fine, its the wind direction I'd be more concerned about, but its better than north or east, so you should still get fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

thanks

Its a big lake lol, any idea of where you will be fishing out of?
    I just fished it on sat and sun and the fish are gorging on mayfly!
    To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the wind direction as the water is fairly warm now (it might affect the fishing late in the evening but thats about it).
    If the wind is up and there's a good roll on the water try fishing a team of three wets if the wind is low try the dries (wulff patterns were working well this weekend but if you ask me the roll-over is a better pattern if conditions are right for it)
    Your biggest enemy is the sun if its out strong you'll find it tough to rise a fish.
    btw.... I would seriously recommend a cast consisting of mainly golden olive flies.....its all that seemed to work for me at the weekend and they brought up some nice size fish too...tightlines

just be careful guy, wind is pretty strong. straight north wind can cause fish to go deeper. best of luck

As Keppler says it's certainly a big lake so I'll only speak for Oughterard area on the fishing. According to people I've spoken to and personal experience the fish are certainly feeding on the mayfly now with dapping naturals along with teams of wet flies (Mayfly patterns) working quite well.

Wind is due to continue swinging around to the north over the coming days which might drive the fish lower but if you find a nice sheltered bay you never know your luck!

As a matter of interest - anyone catching trout marked by lamprey eels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Fenners99

Hi kellper, I've fished it yesterday and I'm heading out again today. Winds are high nut fishable. I'm coming out of the Bradford side. We had 12 fish yesterday, lost a big one over 3pm. O found humpies and green wolf, Grey wolf the best on dry fly.
    Let u no how today goes. Winds are changing north Tomo n Friday, not looking good tho?

Fenners99 wrote: »
    Hi kellper, I've fished it yesterday and I'm heading out again today. Winds are high nut fishable. I'm coming out of the Bradford side. We had 12 fish yesterday, lost a big one over 3pm. O found humpies and green wolf, Grey wolf the best on dry fly.
    Let u no how today goes. Winds are changing north Tomo n Friday, not looking good tho?

looks like the strong gusty winds of late will ease a bit over the coming days, but veer north to north west, the north wind might not be too bad as long as its not too cold, or sunny, accuweather say the winds will then veer west next week, that wont be too bad at all, hopefully blowing in clouds from the atlantic.
    i will be on it in the coming days for a throw of the fleeees.....

Wind was stronger today from d west. Hard work! Still rose 25 fish, landing 6. Most of them rolling or snapping at the fly! Nothing major reported from the lake, ones and twos.:) Squaky swirling g wind with showers... Just lovely;-)

• Advertisement

Fenners99 wrote: »
    Wind was stronger today from d west. Hard work! Still rose 25 fish, landing 6. Most of them rolling or snapping at the fly! Nothing major reported from the lake, ones and twos.:) Squaky swirling g wind with showers... Just lovely;-)

That's some days work Fenners - rising 25 fish is no mean feat :D

Were you dapping naturals or wet flies?

Never even sparked up the dap rod! And still disappointed that the wind was so strong! All on dry fly, mainly humpies or fan wing mayfly, some to wolf pattern too.

All on dries - and thanks for sharing, as the saying goes - your mother wouldn't ask cheeky questions like that but appreciate it.:cool:

U don't know my mother;-) no problem, let me know how u get on, tight Lines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

So, its windy but fish to be had. Anything happening on the troll? I'm interested in the north shore

Paparazzo wrote: »
    So, its windy but fish to be had. Anything happening on the troll? I'm interested in the north shore

good few ferox got trolling recently, some big ones too........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

good few ferox got trolling recently, some big ones too........:)

Nice one. What size? And what did you get them on? I'm ferrox hunting all next week, hopefully I'll have something for the photo thread.

Is it worth my while heading to Corrib this weekend with the boat? Weather is looking a little unsettled at the moment and am unsure how the mayfly are up at the moment, or if it will put them back a couple of weeks. Would most likely put the boat down in the headford region.

viper123 wrote: »
    Is it worth my while heading to Corrib this weekend with the boat? Weather is looking a little unsettled at the moment and am unsure how the mayfly are up at the moment, or if it will put them back a couple of weeks. Would most likely put the boat down in the headford region.

Mayfly will be all over in a couple of weeks, it's been up for 2 weeks already. Hatches are really good still, good few fish caught today on the dap and on fly out of Oughterard. Several ghillies I know said they've seen more fish on the surface this week than for a couple of years, they're just hard to catch, splashing at flies and coming short. Its due to stay unsettled so you might as well come this weekend, the weather won't be improving any time soon!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, boat getting hitched up as we speak!
    I'll post a report tomorrow...

Advertisement