Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Corrib Current Dominant Fly Hatch & Fly Fishing Conditions?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Yossarian86

If anyone is looking for a boating partner over what's left of the mayfly hit me up at dillonjasper3@gmail.com. Tight lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Will be out either Thursday or Friday, either day suit you?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

viper123 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, boat getting hitched up as we speak!
    I'll post a report tomorrow...

Went out Saturday and Sunday, had only 1 on the Saturday on a dry mayfly, from about 7 rises, 5 on the Sunday on wet mayflys and buzzers from 5 takes. One nice guy of about 3 lbs, the rest about 1lb. Weather was horrible though, very windy, and there was very little flylife in the afternoon, it's seems that any hatches were happening around noon and drying up by mid afternoon. Also my trailer decided to almost lose a wheel on the way down so boat is currently abandoned down there for a few days while I get the bearings on the trailer repaired... luck for me in a way though as it saves me having to tow it each time. Special thanks to Annaghdown anglers Club for providing me with a temporary berth while the trailer is being fixed :-)

viper123 wrote: »
    Will be out either Thursday or Friday, either day suit you?

Friday would suit me great. If you can, contact me at dillonjasper3@gmail.com. Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

fishing very bad at the moment, in fact the worst ever. very patchy with very mixed reports, the mayfly hatched early and will be finished soon, the weather looks like it will stay crap for a while. its a write off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

In fact it fished okay very early just before this windy period. I took some fish on the Wulf around the third week of April and you could already see some drakes on the water. People went out too late i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm on the lake now. It's cold, wind is much lighter earlier. I'm trolling, saw a couple of mayfly out away from the islands. but weather was ****e all week.

Well that was shìte. No luck trolling around the north shore. Talked to a few lads fly fishing, very little happening unsurprisingly. Some serious rain too. Stay in the pub

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Well that was shìte. No luck trolling around the north shore. Talked to a few lads fly fishing, very little happening unsurprisingly. Some serious rain too. Stay in the pub

hmmmmm you hear all sorts of theories about why the fishing is so bad, but i don't know, i am not so sure if the population of trout is what it could be or even what it has been in the past......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    hmmmmm you hear all sorts of theories about why the fishing is so bad, but i don't know, i am not so sure if the population of trout is what it could be or even what it has been in the past......

The mayfly is starting to finish up on Corrib, fishing was exceptional 2 weeks ago and up to last weekend but has gone off since. I'm hearing reports Mask is starting to fish really well now, several good reports from anglers out of Dringeen yesterday, dapping and fly fishing. Great mayfly hatches yesterday and over the last week...

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    The mayfly is starting to finish up on Corrib, fishing was exceptional 2 weeks ago and up to last weekend but has gone off since. I'm hearing reports Mask is starting to fish really well now, several good reports from anglers out of Dringeen yesterday, dapping and fly fishing. Great mayfly hatches yesterday and over the last week...

exceptional you say zippy, its a long long time since exceptional fishing was had.

exceptional you say zippy, its a long long time since exceptional fishing was had.

Exceptional for some people. One guy had 32 trout to his rod for one day last week. Another 2 anglers caught and released about 140 trout for a week, thats an average of 20 to the boat each day. Most undersize but about 40 keepers, and the guy with 32 trout caught 14 over the limit. IMO that's exceptional fishing, you may disagree. In any case, its almost over now, head to Mask for better trout fishing this week.

The Mask was fishing well the last few days, but forecast is terrible. Very windy and raining today, and drop in temperature for the next few days. I wouldn't expect Mask to be amazing for the duration of the Mayfly. Was very uncomfortable on the corrib yesterday, a few people had waves breaking into their boats. Not worth it, imho, I did some trolling out of the wind, but with small baits. Disappointing weeks fishing for me which was 100% down to weather. Might head down well after the mayfly in august for some more trolling.

Exceptional for some people. One guy had 32 trout to his rod for one day last week. Another 2 anglers caught and released about 140 trout for a week, thats an average of 20 to the boat each day. Most undersize but about 40 keepers, and the guy with 32 trout caught 14 over the limit. IMO that's exceptional fishing, you may disagree. In any case, its almost over now, head to Mask for better trout fishing this week.

thanks zzippy...yes lots of small fish about, but don't count them in returns!! the weather has been awful and for the majority fishing poor, that's it.

thanks zzippy...yes lots of small fish about, but don't count them in returns!! the weather has been awful and for the majority fishing poor, that's it.

Remember a lot of those undersize fish are between 12-13 inches, which would have been over the size limit 3 years ago, and would have been counted then.
    In any case, anyone out on the lake today would need their head examined, and that weather has probably put an end to mayfly hatches. I'm hoping for some warm calm weather to get the evening buzzer hatches going. Anyone good at tying a balling buzzer pattern? ;)

Anyone good at tying a balling buzzer pattern? ;)

size 10 hook, natural seals fur body, silver oval tinsel, good quality badger or cree cock hackle fully palmered. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

ahhhhhhhhhhhh spent have day on lake yesterday , wet may flies. nothing. not even a sign of a fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Was on the lake myself today. Missed a nice fish on dry mayflies, still have dapping on the brain and didn't strike quick enough :mad:

Still quite a few mayfly emerging and saw plenty of spinners in the water. saw a few boats dapping but didn't see any fish being caught. Wind not the nicest being from the north today but at least the lake is nice and high, not hitting quite so many rocks as last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

are mayfly completely finished??/?? can anyone advise on sedge patterns top dropper etc??? never used them. are they late evening flies only. thanks

Think the big hatches are finished alright but still saw quite a few flies and fish seem to be taking them still. Lake is so big that there could be big hatches in one area and be finished elsewhere.

Can't help on the sedge patterns though, I'm a keen amateur but that's beyond my ken!

• Advertisement

are mayfly completely finished??/?? can anyone advise on sedge patterns top dropper etc??? never used them. are they late evening flies only. thanks

no sedges are not just an evening thing. trout will take sedges during the day, even blind when there are not too many of them on the water. dry sedges that sit low on the water, devaux sedge, hackled deer-hair sedge etc are good fished dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Any reports on how things are going on the lake the last few days? Will be heading down this weekend with a few lads trying to get them their first fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Well got out from oughterard on saturday morning with 8 other lads there were three of us in each boat. As I was mainly the only person who knew how to fish they were all asking me questions. It was a bit damp and windy but they were not too bothered by it. We rose a couple of fish but they couldnt connect, I managed to land a nice brown of about 2lb which I put back to fight another day. It was first fish on the Corrib so I was pretty happy.

1309008734066.jpg

Nice one Jack01986, was fishing out of Oughterard myself on Sat. Awful weather but caught 5 little trout myself, all went back to fight another day. Was surprised at the amount of mayfly still hatching and a wet mayfly did some damage..!!

Hi again, Lads.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me how it's fishing a the moment. I'm heading out of Oughterard this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Would love to share a day out on Corrib in August/September if anyone is launching a boat. Never been there . Would be an experience !

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Would love to share a day out on Corrib in August/September if anyone is launching a boat. Never been there . Would be an experience !

i always found july to be a bit of a hit and miss month on corrib, august is better and september is even better still

Advertisement