Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black soot/dust possibly from storage heating?

• 25-04-2010 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Please move thread if it is in the wrong forum.

I have electric storage heating in my apartment (two in sitting room one is only used, and another one in the hall which is rarely used). About six months or so ago we noticed black dust or black soot on the ceiling and walls. It seems to be confined to the edge of the ceiling and a little down the walls, on the external facing walls you can see the nails coming through the paint. The black dust or soot is in the hall too. The two bedrooms have electric manual heaters and the ceilings are fine, the main bedroom has a little on the ceiling though. The reason I think it's the heaters is because there's black marks on the wall just above the top of the storage heaters.

I'd be grateful if anyone can offer any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

havnt come across this from electric heaters before.seems more like a damp problem to me.are the air vents open in the room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

The vents in room are open. I made enquiries today and some people have said it could be condensation. I noticed it in my job today too on the ceiling in a room that is always very hot and has no ventilation and that has no storage heating. A damp proofing company said bleach and water will remove it. I'll need to try and improve the ventilation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dathi

:mad:it is black mould the spores are nasty stuff to inhale it is caused by poor ventilation it usualy shows up where there is a cold bridge in the building ie. where the external wall meets the concrete floor/ roof slab there is no insulation so water vapour condenses and mould grows. bleach wil kill it but it will come back unless you inprove ventilation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

Quote:

" I noticed it in my job today too on the ceiling in a room that is always very hot and has no ventilation and that has no storage heating. "

The phenomena is called " fogging" , common in places with a low building biology standard. The plastics used in these house gas-off and settle on surfaces.
    Check the www for it. Try " google " images or pictures, plenty of it.
    A wide spread problem in the USA, the 'cheaper' the houses are build the worse the matter gets. Same in Europe, but not that frequent.

Advertisement