Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction advice, help!

Options
  • 25-04-2010 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Moved into a new house about 5 or 6 months ago, sharing with some other housemates. From day 1 it was awful, they never made me feel welcome and it was just not fun, but the house was lovely so I mostly ignored it. I tried hard to make it work, resolved difficulties with one of them, have cooked dinner for the house, have tried taking them out for drinks, etc etc, but nothing really works, they're just the wrong kind of people to live with, they're awful, petty, duplicitous, 2 faced..

Anyway, fast forward to about a week ago, one of the girls started on at me in the kitchen about loads of stuff, really petty stuff from ages ago, I won't go into details but suffice to say they're the sort of people who measure their jam. The kind of people who use all your toothpaste, but measure their jam and will bear a grudge if you use any, for months and months, silently hating you for it and who knows what else.

Anyway, this housemate says says that she wants me to move out, and I say fine, end of June, because thats when it suits me. But she then says no, thats not soon enough, end of may. To which I say that its not really up to her, that if everyone wants to vote me out we can have a house meeting, but otherwise, no dice. She says fine and eventually I'm assuming we'll have one, although nothing as of yet.

This house, its like lord of the flies, and tbh I do really want to live somewhere where I feel comfortable, but I need a couple of months to get enough money to move, right now I'm so tight for money I cant afford anything, let alone a deposit plus months rent in advance.

What are my rights? The landlord hasn't asked me to leave, but I don't have a contract, and I never paid a deposit - can they force me out? Similarly, if I go to stay with a friend, can I just take all my stuff and leave, and say screw you if they complain about me leaving overnight?

Advice please, I hate this place! HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if you havent signed anything and are only subletting off them then the end of may is reasonable notice for them to give you im afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

who are you paying the rent to? if it's the landlord I wouldn't even deal with the person who told you to move out. In fact, I'd revel in making her life a misery. Tell her you will be there until Christmas and you intend to have some friends sleeping on the couch every week night during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Rent is paid to the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

D3PO wrote: »
    if you havent signed anything and are only subletting off them then the end of may is reasonable notice for them to give you im afraid.

How is this reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Jaysoose wrote: »
    How is this reasonable?

a) because their the leaseholders and the op isnt

b) OP only living there 5-6 months so its appropriate notice in line with what you would expect even if you were the direct tennant.

Now if the OP moved in and is renting a room and its an agreement with the landlord and not the other tennants then its a different story, but we dont know that to be the case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

If you didn't sign anything and there isn't a deposit issue then you can just leave!
    If you don't want to screw over your landlord, and if you feel you might need a reference off him, offer to findsomeone to replace you. then take a few photos and stick them up on daft and show the room to a few people. Then pick the most obnoxious one you can find for the as***oles you live with to put up with and your free and clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

D3PO wrote: »
    a) because their the leaseholders and the op isnt

b) OP only living there 5-6 months so its appropriate notice in line with what you would expect even if you were the direct tennant.

Now if the OP moved in and is renting a room and its an agreement with the landlord and not the other tennants then its a different story, but we dont know that to be the case

Didnt see where the OP mentioned if its a sublet or direct to landlord but if she i paying rent direct to LL then im assuming is the latter.

I would be of the opinion that the op should sort herself out first and foremost and if june is suitable for her to move then june it is and shouldnt have to work to somebody elses schedule especially considering how this person treated her.

Advertisement