Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

log slices?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

i was recently at a garden that used log slices as paving. it looked really well and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. i.e. where to get them? what way would you weather treat them? are they durable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

They are not really log slices, they are made of stone!

I got mine in Blessington about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭silent gav

they were definitely real. i saw them in airfield in dundrum if anyones been there. think that they make there own but was just wondering if there is any where you can get them

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

I got some in either Homebase or B&Q in Derry a few years back but they were made from concrete.

this is not exactly what i'm talking about i was thinks of a path but it is the general idea
    wood slice paving

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

I'm currently doing the same thing for paths on my allotment.

Best bet is to find a friendly tree surgeon and throw him/her a few beer tokens to cut you some slices.All the same thickness helps to lay them level easier. I'm filling in the gaps with wood chippings.

• Advertisement

aerosol wrote: »
    I'm currently doing the same thing for paths on my allotment.

Best bet is to find a friendly tree surgeon and throw him/her a few beer tokens to cut you some slices.All the same thickness helps to lay them level easier. I'm filling in the gaps with wood chippings.
    Thanks.
    Are you treating them with anything

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hadn't planned to treat them as I have an ongoing supply and will just replace when rotted.When you find a supply ask what tree they'd recommend as you want a tree that won't rot too quickly.I'm using sycamore at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I love this idea and have always wanted to use them in a garden, just haven't worked the right garden yet to fit this style!

I agree with the above plan of friendly tree surgeon. . if they are used to using chainsaw they could do them very fast.

I have seen these used in garden designs but I have heard that they can be very slippy!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭laros

Hi
    Be aware that these can be VERY slippy.....A way to combat slippyness(spelling..?) Is to nail something like chicken wire across the surface of the log slice ...It provides some grip.

Lar

Advertisement