Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My neighbours are horrible gits to their children.

Options
  • 25-04-2010 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭

I'm not really sure where else to put this, but I figure I might get advice here.

So, as the title says, my neighbours are absolutely horrible.

I'm a student, and I don't live in a particularly nice area. My neighbours are career dole-hounds, and they live about two doors down. They dump their rubbish in the street and come round to my house begging for cigarettes at 1 and 2am in the middle of the night. Which I can live with, to be honest, but we're not friendly, is the point.

They have two really little girls. Like, really little girls. They play in the middle of the manky street with bits of crap from the local skips until about 7 at night. From around 6 their mam stands in the street yelling at them to come in, over and over. Invariably, when the little girls get home, she yells at them for nothing at all for a solid ten minutes, and then in they go to the house, where I can hear her yelling through the door as I walk home.

I'm just after running out to the shop, and just as I was coming home, I heard the dad screaming at his 7 year old daughter that she was a c*nt for "embarrassing" him. Exactly how she was doing that remains something of a mystery to me. This unwashed sack of crap was standing in the street in cigarette-burned dirty vest screaming at her for embarrassing him. Then he dragged her into the house by the shoulder of her jacket and continued to scream at her loud enough to be heard from outside.

There's other stuff too, but you get the idea. It's driving me mad. The pair of them are endlessly, relentlessly aggressive and verbally abusive to their kids. I've never seen them talk to either without screaming at them. I've never seen them actually hit the kids, but they're way too spiteful and rough with them all the time, far too rough, and I don't doubt those girls get a hiding behind closed doors.

The weird part is, they play up to it when there's people around - they get louder and more horrible to the kids when there's somebody walking around, like they're trying to impress us. They're hateful to those kids, but I haven't actually seen them do anything I can report them for. I'm not really sure what to do about it, but it's driving me mad.

Kids shouldn't have to grow up in that kind of environment. But I'm not really sure what, if anything, I can do. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It’s a sickening picture you paint, people like this don’t deserve kids, they shouldn’t be let have a dog.
    Maybe a call to the local health nurse or Garda sergeant, they might forward it to someone who could monitor these kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

there's no harm in ringing social services, just to have them do a check on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I'm not really sure where else to put this, but I figure I might get advice here.

So, as the title says, my neighbours are absolutely horrible.

I'm a student, and I don't live in a particularly nice area. My neighbours are career dole-hounds, and they live about two doors down. They dump their rubbish in the street and come round to my house begging for cigarettes at 1 and 2am in the middle of the night. Which I can live with, to be honest, but we're not friendly, is the point.

They have two really little girls. Like, really little girls. They play in the middle of the manky street with bits of crap from the local skips until about 7 at night. From around 6 their mam stands in the street yelling at them to come in, over and over. Invariably, when the little girls get home, she yells at them for nothing at all for a solid ten minutes, and then in they go to the house, where I can hear her yelling through the door as I walk home.

I'm just after running out to the shop, and just as I was coming home, I heard the dad screaming at his 7 year old daughter that she was a c*nt for "embarrassing" him. Exactly how she was doing that remains something of a mystery to me. This unwashed sack of crap was standing in the street in cigarette-burned dirty vest screaming at her for embarrassing him. Then he dragged her into the house by the shoulder of her jacket and continued to scream at her loud enough to be heard from outside.

There's other stuff too, but you get the idea. It's driving me mad. The pair of them are endlessly, relentlessly aggressive and verbally abusive to their kids. I've never seen them talk to either without screaming at them. I've never seen them actually hit the kids, but they're way too spiteful and rough with them all the time, far too rough, and I don't doubt those girls get a hiding behind closed doors.

The weird part is, they play up to it when there's people around - they get louder and more horrible to the kids when there's somebody walking around, like they're trying to impress us. They're hateful to those kids, but I haven't actually seen them do anything I can report them for. I'm not really sure what to do about it, but it's driving me mad.

Kids shouldn't have to grow up in that kind of environment. But I'm not really sure what, if anything, I can do. Any thoughts?

Same here to be honest. I do not know what to make of them. the neighbour has a son in this case and she puts him out the door and doesn't let him back in untill it gets dark.

Often he is heard banging on the doors of the flat demanding entrance to go to the toilet (he is about 7rys old). He is not a bad kid to be fair but the parent is an ass.

I am in the process of applying a transfer from the area due to this parent and their shills that turn up at night drunk banging and ringing bells randomly.

I am a single dad with great access to my child. My solution at the moment is to request a transfer away from these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's a horrible situation, Deliverance, and it's shameful in this day and age that we're both able to say we can see this kind of thing going on.

It's really bothering me. One of my college days is a half-day, and I stay in college longer rather than go home where I can hear them screaming at the girls. Both parents are at home all day everyday, naturally, and like you say, they shut the door after the kids and only open it to scream abuse at them.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if I did report them for anything, they'd have an idea it was me. I've had to call the guards to the street once before for something happening a few doors down, and the guards made me come out to talk to them. Cheers for that, Guards. :rolleyes:

The kids are actually quiet as anything. It's just not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

It's a horrible situation to be in, Deliverance, and it's shameful in this day and age that we're both able to say we can see this kind of thing going on.

It's really bothering me. One of my college days is a half-day, and I stay in college longer rather than go home where I can hear them screaming at the girls. Both parents are at home all day everyday, naturally, and like you say, they shut the door after the kids and only open it to scream abuse at them.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if I did report them for anything, they'd have an idea it was me. I've had to call the guards to the street once before for something happening a few doors down, and the guards made me come out to talk to them. Cheers for that, Guards. :rolleyes:

The kids are actually quiet as anything. It's just not right.
    Yes I know where you are at. I suppose though that you can anonymously report the incidents in this case to social services? If you can do that then that is the best that you can do.

In the meantime you should look at moving away from these people, if you can do that then well and good. No matter what you do it will happen and it is happening at any given time in any given area.

Don't not make it your problem, move away from it if you can. Concentrate on your degree and put these people as second best to your life.

That might sound cold but it is a fact of life. I am in the process of requesting a transfer out of my own area due to the same type of thing that you mentioned. If I wanted to sort out the bad neighbours lives then to be honest I would take a course in sociology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,363 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

OP, without meaning to suggest that this is standard behaviour in rough areas I've seen it enough to make me come to the conclusion that its not that unusual. I dont see that you have a case for calling anyone, as you havent seen the parents physically abusing the kids.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

OP, without meaning to suggest that this is standard behaviour in rough areas I've seen it enough to make me come to the conclusion that its not that unusual. I dont see that you have a case for calling anyone, as you havent seen the parents physically abusing the kids.

Isn't leaving them in the middle of the street unsupervised and playing with waste/trash negligent and a risk to their safety? Just because it's common, doesn't mean it's right or that you haven't got a case.

Go with your conscience is what I'd say.

Although, if you think they might reasonably suspect you when social services come a calling, it might be more than cigarettes they're after at 1 in the morning!

Advertisement