Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an employer terminate

Options
  • 25-04-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

your employment with the company and then give the work that you were doing to a contractor.

My employer let me go 3 weeks ago without notice that he was going to do it,He told me on the morning he let me go that he was after selling the vehicle I was driving and that there was no work but he giving me 2 weeks notice and paying me up front and that I could go home.

An hour after I left the building,The vehicle my employer sold and a contractor turned up to do my job.

Can he do this and what are my rights ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Read your contract. Were you an employee or a subcontractor? If you were an employee there is a certain protocol depending on lenght of service. Can't tell you much more unless you provide more details i.e. do you have a contract, were you an employee or a contractor and what was your lenght of service? If you were an employee with more than one years service you may have a case for unfair dismissal and if you have more than to years service you're entitled to statutort redundancy.

If you put up more details I can give you a more detailed answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irish_woman

Hi, my firend has been employed with the same company for over 2 years. He was fired without any written warnings. The reasons given for being fired were untrue. He does not have a written contract and was not given any notice period.

What are his options? Can he get advice somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

I take he was not in a union
    he should have a look at the FAQ section of

www.unionconnect.ie

then he should visit the website of the labour relations commission
    www.lrc.ie
    and file a case against the company with a rights commissioner for failure to provide a contract, this could yield compensation of up to four weeks wages (the forms are downloadable pdfs)

on the same site he should get a copy of file rp51a and file a case for unfair dismissal with the employment appeals tribunal, seeking either reinstatement or compensation - the latter may be more realistic.

you can turn up and represent yourself at these sproceedings
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi, my firend has been employed with the same company for over 2 years. He was fired without any written warnings. The reasons given for being fired were untrue. He does not have a written contract and was not given any notice period.

What are his options? Can he get advice somewhere?

If he doesn't have a written contract, then the statutory requirements are 2 weeks notice for 2 years served.

If he was not given this, then I think he's effectively been fired for serious misconduct, which he can contest.

Written warnings are not mandatory. Employment law only really recommends that a documented disciplinary procedure is in place, but not what the procedure is.

A little more info here.

I can recommend a solicitor in Dublin who has experience with employment law, but I don't know how cost effective that would be. PM me if you want his details.

Advertisement