Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When & how should a landlord get paid RA?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,
    I let my apt out at the start of this month to someone receiving rent allowance. I received the deposit no problem and was told I would be getting the first months rent mid month. Mid month came and went and I heard/received
    nothing so asked my tenant and was told it was actually the end of the month & this was the norm. is this right? At the moment they are technically living there rent free and i'm worried that if the cheque is delayed/the process of chasing this up could be seriously troublesome?should i have received
    something in writing from the council to confirm when and how i will paid? In the form i filled out I didn't have to put my bank a/c details so receiving a cheque sounds like the feasible option? Also i've heard some people get it paid
    directly into their account as opposed to getting a cheque(by the time i get a chance to lodge cheque and it clears will be into 1st/2nd wk of the following month so means always in arrears?)
    any advice?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Hi Clongrif,
    In relation to RA, this is paid weekly by the DSFA and can be either paid directly to landlord or to the tenant. This is the tenants choice not yours. It is up to the tenant to make up any difference in rent agreed on lease and paid by DSFA (E.G. Lease may state 800 but DFSA pay 600 - therefore shortfall must still be met as there is always a tenant amount payable.)
    The rent is paid in arrears by DSFA but if your lease with the tenant states that it is paid in advance then it is up to them to pay you and get their finances sorted themselves.
    You should have filled in a yellow form for RA for the tenant and also a white form which will be sent out after the property is inspected by the social welfare officer a few weeks later.
    If neither of these are filled in then you have no chance of seeing money from DSFA i'm afraid!
    There is nowhere to put in your bank details but if you call the local social welfare office and explain you are the landlord of property X for tenant Y, they can tell if the payment is cleared and if you are authorised to have it paid directly.
    Also note you will have to sign a form each month to confirm tenant is still living there or else payment will stop suddenly!!
    Just remember the lease is between you and tenant, not DSFA, the tenant must pay on time so follow up with them, its not your problem that there may be delays with clearing their application.
    Good luck,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clongrif

thanks gibo, that explains a lot - so now i have the not so nice task of telling them to pay for this month. i only signed one form so not looking likely that i'll be getting paid anytime soon then!I'll call the local office now and see what info I can get.thanks again for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

i really have to disagree with some of the points gibo_ie made,
    firstly, ra can be paid weekly or monthly depending on each individual case. yes it is up to the tennant wether it is paid directly to tennant or landlord.
    the minimum a tennant must contribute each week towards the rent is €26 per week however if they are earning or receiving maintenance this can be increased.
    most landlords who rent to people receiving ra would agree that rent is paid at end of month as this is when dsfa pay it so they have no way of coming up with it otherwise.
    the ra form is orange at the min & it is the only form you needed to fill in, you are not required to fill in a form for social welfare every month to confirm tennant is living there,
    to be honest it shouldnt be any more hassle then renting to someone who receives no help with their rent if all issues are delt with correctly.
    if you ring the cwo in your area he/she will have no problem explaining process in full to you, or citizens information centre either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clongrif

thanks michelle - i called today and was told the relevant swo for the area only came into the office for an hour on weds & thurs and didn't have access to the phone!!! eventually after trying citizens advice and the county councils got through to someone who confirmed the basics for me- that the cheques/payments are issued the last monday of each month and it wouldn't be unusual for me not to have received any correspondence as of yet. apparently the tenant decides whether the payment is paid directly to them, the landlord and the method of the payment. My tenant seems to be struggling to get information as much as me. they haven't been told if the application has been accepted/denied, therefore haven't been asked about the payment method(which is kind of worrying)they have been waiting for the swo to ring them back for 2wks and said they'd try again tomorrow. if they issue the payments on mondays, if it's not with me by tomorrow i can assume it's not happening!?:(

Advertisement