Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fiat Stilo - Major no no?

• 25-04-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭

Saw a pretty good deal on a fiat Stilo.

Went on Honest John, it gives it an absolutely terrible review. Like the car seems like its poison. However, I am currently still attracted by a good price and good aesthetic looks. (Its a first time car, although I am looking at stats and things, I haven't much experience in the market).

Has anyone got any experience? Are they really awful in terms of reliability?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I really don't know much about them. I suppose as with most cars, the later models would be a better bet and im pretty sure the 1.2 came in a 6 speed manual which was a plus.
    What kind of a budget do you have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The car was heavily, heavily re-engineered during its life and was even re-submitted to NCAP (and got an improved rating). The later ones are more reliable than an average Fiat of their era.

Avoid a 2002-4 one like the plague, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the biggest heap of **** ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Had a 1.2 6speed as a demo for about 9 months. Not too bad of a yoke but i wasn't paying for it. Good on juice. Nice spec.

Every single used example we had on the forcourt had to be started every 3 days minimum to prevent flat batteries. Electrics were the main issue i found, Airbag modules, window regulators etc.

If it was my money, i'd prob look at a Focus or Corolla, esp as a first car. you might have to pay a bit more or go a year older but you'll make the money back when it comes to servicing and resale value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Take johns advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Right you guys have settled it then. It was an 02, for 2,450. It was also the coupe, with alloys. As it was a 1.2 it seemed like a fairly good starting car but reliability seems uncool.

My budget is flexible, just depends how soon I want to buy. Truth is around 2-3k is probably best.

In terms of aesthetics I was trying to avoid the family car look. I really like ford focuses though, and so does Honest John. Boards agrees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

errlloyd wrote: »
    Boards agrees?

Yes:D. Much better buy. If you can go for the 1.6, it's a much more capable engine compared to the 1.4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

+1
    A 3 door 1.4 focus will do the trick for you!

(1.6 even better)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I had a 2004 1.4 6 speed coupe a few years ago. I'm not a Fiat basher at all (I've had 2 excellent Grande Puntos that I've loved and have never had a problem with), but

DON'T BUY A STILO!

In the 6 months I had the car it had to go back to the garage 11 times. There was 2 major problems:

1) an intermittent fault with the ECU so that the car would randomly decide not to start some mornings or when it had been parked for a couple of hours. Even after checking the wiring and fitting a new ECU this couldn't be fixed

2) AWFUL dashboard rattles that just couldn't be sorted even with a new windscreen and removing the entire dash. Rattles that were so loud that you could hear them over the radio when it was up loud. (And my car only had 11,000 miles on it)

In the end the garage took it back from me and I got a 2006 Grande Punto which was much better and is based on a newer fiat platform.

For both of them though the 1.2 would be very underpowered because they are heavy cars, the GP especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thank you guys thats basically exactly what I needed to hear.

On one last tiny note (sorry about this, I guess just buying a car is a big deal, and you guys seem pretty experienced). At the risk of being unoriginal, is the Mk4 golf any good as a first time car?

my first car was a Mk4 Golf. Grand car, bit over-rated. Gearboxes are known to go pop on the 1.4

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

These always got a bad rating, but Iv had 2 of them and never had any bother. I had the 1.2 6-speed.

Great specification, probably over-specified with too many electronics meaning lots to possibly go wrong, but having had 2 and knowing people who had them with no problem.

Nice drivers car, good specification, and cheap, certainly not a ****-box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nearly bought one when they came out, was blinded by the trick glass roof, all the safety gear, and how solid the interior was. It was also ridiculously cheap when compared to a Corolla Luna or Golf Comfyline with A/C or sunroof. In retrospect I'm glad I avoided.
    Better options out there for the money.
    First run of them had loads of spec, then they downgraded them. later ones supposed to be better built though.
    1.2 models shared engine and 6 speed box with Punto Sporting and are nippier than you'd imagine. the 1.6 isn't much better and not worth the extra tax.
    5 door hideous, 3rd still quite sharp looking even today.

Advertisement