Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History or Geography - That is the Question...

Options
  • 25-04-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be starting the Leaving Cert course next year, and am currently deciding what subjects to pick. I've been thinking about it for ages, and am in no way relying on ye to decide, but whad'ya think?

I'm very interested in History, the teacher is good, and I'd say I'd enjoy it. I'm worried about the opportunity to get points, and the workload.

Then there's Geography. I have some interest in this, but it is mainly for the points. I found it easy to study for the junior.

So, what do you think? Did anyone else have this prob with other subjects? Any advice?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

History is WAY easier from what I've heard:

- Statistically, more people get A1s in history than in geography
    - Geography is a huge step up from JC (both are)
    - History is actually interesting so easy to study

I didn't like history much for the JC but I'm doing it for the LC and I love it! It's not much hard work because it's quite easy to remember, especially if you have a good teacher. It's all essay writing (in a short space of time) so if you don't like that I wouldn't do it. (But it's easier than you would think)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ye I quite like English and the essay writing lark. The teacher for History is very enthusiastic so that would help.

I'd also be interested in studying something in the area of Law/Journalism/Politics at 3rd level. Would History help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 elarkla

Personally, I find History for LC harder... It's a lot of essays and document questions. Plus, you have a research project which needs a fair bit of work.
    I find Geography for LC easier, if you can understand the information you're fine. It's really just the JC in more deatil. You also have a field study in geography but Ihaven't done that yet so I can't really say what it's like...

But, if it's History you like don't just pick Geography for points. You're going to have to study it for the next 2 years....

donvito99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Ye I quite like English and the essay writing lark. The teacher for History is very enthusiastic so that would help.

I'd also be interested in studying something in the area of Law/Journalism/Politics at 3rd level. Would History help?

Yes yes yes! Do history! History is better!!

Ah sure it's a matter of personal choice like. But don't choose geography if you're looking for an easy subject.

History IS a lot of work but if you're interested you'll want to put in the effort. Same goes for all subjects. Doing a subject you're not really interested in just for points will be hell to study later. You're going to be studying it for two years, you might as well enjoy it.

I really enjoy history but I have to work very hard at it because my teacher is eh, lacking somewhat. If you have an enthusiastic teacher it will make the subject even more interesting, there's nothing better than being taught by someone who really loves their subject, instils a similar passion in yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Daire10

I'm also going into LC next year and I'm definitely doing Geography next year as not only is it the most interesting subject for the JC but also the easiest by far! I also saw an LC Geog. H.L exam paper and I could answer all the Short Qs and most of the Long Qs- the course looks exactly like the JC with a few fancier terms! :)
    As for History, I love the learning of the archaeologists, ancient civilisations and periods (1st and part of 2nd year History) but I hear you don't do any of that for the LC so I'm definitely not doing it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 OoOROiSiNOoO

Yeah I'm hoping to go into those areas too and I find that history can almost help with English (gets you writing fast and in concluding essays you need to have a good analysis of what you've just discussed) and parts of history overlap with geography visa versa. Would you consider taking both of them on? At the end of the day they both require consistent learning throughout the year but they're my two best subjects and I like them both

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I would choose geography. The course is shorter and there is a nice choice of questions you have to do come exam time.

I really enjoy history but I have to work very hard at it because my teacher is eh, lacking somewhat. If you have an enthusiastic teacher it will make the subject even more interesting, there's nothing better than being taught by someone who really loves their subject, instils a similar passion in yourself.

Ye. My schools teacher is excellent. I'm swaying towards history at the moment. My parents aren't to happy....:rolleyes:

Yeah I'm hoping to go into those areas too and I find that history can almost help with English (gets you writing fast and in concluding essays you need to have a good analysis of what you've just discussed) and parts of history overlap with geography visa versa. Would you consider taking both of them on? At the end of the day they both require consistent learning throughout the year but they're my two best subjects and I like them both

Ye for Junior my to favourite subjects were Geography and History too, in that order. Its only since I'm now focusing on third level as well as the leaving that I'm thinking of taking History on instead.

As for taking them both, its not really an option. I need to take a science, and I want to do Economics, and my school only timetables for 7 subjects. (I can do an 8th, but it has to be something like Business, App. Maths or Music, all of which I hate or am not good at.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

As for taking them both, its not really an option. I need to take a science, and I want to do Economics

Do economics on your own outside school. I think it's one of the more popular 8th subjects students pick to do on their own because the course is shorter than other subjects and it can be easy to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 xDancingQueenx

It really depends on what you prefer because both have projects that go in before hand !!!

The project for history is really awesome by the way. You can do it on basically anything. And it secures you 95~ marks :)

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

I didn't do Geography for the LC so I can't really comment on that course, but I would advise you to think seriously about doing History before you choose it, and only do so if you're genuinely very interested in History and have an excellent memory (being good at English helps too). The course is gigantic. Seriously. There's such a massive amount of information to retain that it gets very overwhelming at times. I can't emphasise the vastness of the course enough really! - there's so much information that you have to pick and choose which sections you're going to study for the exam. I don't think it'd be possible to cover everything on the syllabus in time for the exam.

The exam itself is something of a hit-and-miss affair. You have to do one (fairly manageable) Document question (which basically consists of several comprehension questions and a mini-essay) and three essays, one on each of your Topics. Four essay titles come up on each topic and you write on one, which is a bit of a lottery in the sense that you're hoping you'll get lucky and they'll give a doable question on something you've studied (as I mentioned before, you couldn't really learn everything on the syllabus, not unless you neglect your other subjects). So you're only really writing on a small section of the course, not like other subjects where you'll have to answer questions on a large amount of the course. If you're unfortunate enough to misinterpret the wording of a question (which can, and does, happen to people), you'll lose a sizeable amount of marks. Time management is a major issue in the exam, although that's something you get better at with time.

The Document question and the Research Topic do both make the subject a bit more user-friendly, but don't be under any illusions, because History is far from an easy subject. I found it very interesting (the European History section is fascinating, truly) and worthwhile, and I'm very glad I did it, but it is tough. If you're interested in History and are prepared to work hard, then by all means go for it.

Advertisement