Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on laying sleepers

Options
  • 25-04-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have got some sleepers and i was wondering on the best way to lay them to create raised flower beds. I was planning on an inch dig, lay them in that, then have foot long sleepers at right angles ay regular intervals, screwed onto the wall for support. does that sound ok?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Rule 1a. Don't try to handle them into position by yourself - they're often very heavy. (From one who knows !)

I laid mine on edge in about a 3" channel on a bed of sharp sand - this makes it much easier to adjust them and true them up. If you have to cut them, be prepared to buy chainsaw chain when you've finished. Or handsaw them and throw the saw away. If they're genuine sleepers they might well have ballast stones in them.

Otherwise your plan sounds good - you might use L shaped brackets to fix them back, but long screws to good fixings might be OK. Good luck with the project.

Advertisement