Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC: does it work down copper lines?

• 25-04-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

As far as I can tell UPC have made their services available in my area.

My house is a fair bit of distance from the road though, this started me thinking (I will contact them tomorrow and find out if I can get it or not) does the UPC service just use the bog standard copper line?

If it doesn't I don't think they will offer it here :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

My house is a fair bit of distance from the road though, this started me thinking (I will contact them tomorrow and find out if I can get it or not) does the UPC service just use the bog standard copper line?

UPC Broadband is only availabe in selected urban areas that are cabled by them for cable tv, etc. It would not be available out in the country unless you are just so lucky that one of their cables just happened to pass by your house!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nope you can't avail of cable Broadband via a standard telephone line (pstn line)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

UPC isn't on the telephone network, it is a cable they themselves (or what ever cable company that was around when your house was built that UPC bought) run into your house to supply you with cable TV.

If you don't have that you won't be able to get their service. If you do you should at least be able to get broadband.

Advertisement