Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are U2 never played on theRadio?

• 25-04-2010 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

I'm not the biggest fan but they are a band I never hear on Irish Radio unless they've a new album/single out. Even in 'Golden Hour" shows you never hear any of their back catelogue. Is it a cliche for stations to play it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Because they've been ****e for the last 15-20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

kraggy wrote: »
    Kraggy's pretty much covered it for me. I LOVED Achtung Baby, every song a hit on that album. But U2's stuff after that was pretty much all rubbish.... Lemon, Vertigo, Get On Your Boots ... They could probably make one decent album out of everything album they have done since Achtung Baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think its cos they are sooooooooooooooooooooo big it doesn't occure to anyone to play them. How often do you hear The Beatles, Stones, Who, Floyd and countless other massive selling bands on radio? Not very often as it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

kraggy wrote: »

May I present exhibit A, Achtung Baby, released in 1991, U2s finest album ever.

Zooropa and Pop which followed in 1993 and 1997 were a mixed bag but both decent albums, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

the answer boils down to one reason only, they are only on the airwaves when they're selling something, new album, single or an upcoming tour, outside of that airplay is given to whoever is selling/touring. sad I know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Not an ounce of truth in their lack of air play being because they're not as good as they used to be. Look at some of the crap you hear on the radio - John and Edward were getting plenty of air time and regardless of what you think of U2's recent albums, their materials better than that tripe.

Simple answer is that they're not pushing anything. Just after their last album launch 2fm had 2 U2 special weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here lads I just stumbled upon this, I was just wondering is it not true that most Irish radio stations have some amount of Irish music they have to play, like a percentage?

Would U2 not fill up that percentage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

errlloyd wrote: »
    Here lads I just stumbled upon this, I was just wondering is it not true that most Irish radio stations have some amount of Irish music they have to play, like a percentage?

Would U2 not fill up that percentage?

The IRTC tried to introduce a 30% quota in the 90's but I don't think it was enforced. Last February, the Joint Oireacthtas Committee on Arts, Sports and Tourism told 2fm and Today fm to raise their quota of Irish music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

The Irish rule very much is enforced, to this day.

U2 are still played lots on Irish radio, you'd have to play a U2 song pretty much once an hour to fulfil the 30% rule and then some and why would you do that when there's new bands out that are Irish??

I'd love to hear one single station that is giving "John and Edward plenty of air time" also. I'll attach the Nielson airplay chart if it's required!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

No need for any airplay charts! Just using them as an example to express my point. Whilst the act may not have been accurate I was just using them to express my point that there a lot more ****e acts being played on the radio than U2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

I thought you meant people were actually playing Ice Ice or something!! :eek:

Anyway, U2 are most definitely played, they help stations make up the Irish quota as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Someone should page Tony Fenton to this page.

He plays them a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Move to Wexford, they're never off the local station!

(Disclaimer: Although I work for the station, I dislike U2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Slidey wrote: »

He plays them a lot

Include Dave Fanning on this as well, he was practically giving them a tongue bath most of last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Jip wrote: »
    May I present exhibit A, Achtung Baby, released in 1991, U2s finest album ever.

Zooropa and Pop which followed in 1993 and 1997 were a mixed bag but both decent albums, imo.

It's funny you say that but I was listening to Achtung Baby when i thought of this. I understand their stuff went downhill but you would think that some of their earlier stuff was played. You will definitely hear the Beatles or Stones more on General Radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Is it because, once you strip away the hype and the Irish loyalty, they are, in fact, only mediocre?

And now they're a Dutch band they don't quality for inclusion in the Irish content.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Whats the difference between God & Bono?

God doesn't walk around thinking he's Bono.

(Off topic I know but hey..)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

Mark is right. All of the independent stations in Ireland have a quota agreed with the BCI. For most, it's 30%... for some others, it's a little less. Most of these stations would rather give support to the Coronos, Delorentos, Wallis Bird, etc rather than U2.

The only stations that don't have quotas are the RTE stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Because they are crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect the OPs question has been abandoned in favour of a Bash U2 thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

OP, perhaps it's because they're not requested? Playlists are decided partly on how popular the artist is, and this is measured by requests from listeners along with chart sales etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Seanieke wrote: »
    Whats the difference between God & Bono?

God doesn't walk around thinking he's Bono.

(Off topic I know but hey..)

Not only off topic, but unbelievably old! It was very good a few years back, with Live 8 and what not, bit old now tbh.
    mike65 wrote: »
    I suspect the OPs question has been abandoned in favour of a Bash U2 thread.

I feel so too, however I'd be a bit of a U2 fan myself* and could see this coming once I saw the thread title. Tis a shame tbh, I actually like 95% of there stuff, the old stuff is the best without a doubt!

*mild understatement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I'm not a fan but it's a good question. I wonder is it because there's so much hype when their records come out that DJs get sick to the back teeth of them That because it's U2, they're not seen so much as a musical artist as an entity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Plowman wrote: »

Yip, my favourite period, I remember hearing Numb for the first time and turned the volume up thinking it was great, didn't realise it was U2 until whatever DJ on 2FM at the time said who it was afterwards. Many think they're unfinished, particularly Zooropa but I think it's a great album.

On the flip side, I've only listened to their latest album once, it's not drawing me back at all with any songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

Slidey wrote: »

He plays them a lot

Today, he played Beautiful day.
    Earlier, Foley's show had Wild Horses.

OP, tune in to Today FM or GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

Is it because, once you strip away the hype and the Irish loyalty, they are, in fact, only mediocre?

And now they're a Dutch band they don't quality for inclusion in the Irish content.

No, otherwise they wouldn't be so immensely popular like they are all over the world. What a fantastic band they are and every album they release is superb including their last which topped Rolling Stone magazines album of the year award as well as song of the year award for ' Moment Of Surrender'. No band in the history of recorded sound have come out with consistently awesome music like these boys have an d still remain relevant after 30 years. Those who say that they haven't released anything decent since Acthung Baby obviously haven't really been listening to their subsequent albums.

No, otherwise they wouldn't be so immensely popular like they are all over the world. What a fantastic band they are and every album they release is superb including their last which topped Rolling Stone magazines album of the year award as well as song of the year award for ' Moment Of Surrender'. No band in the history of recorded sound have come out with consistently awesome music like these boys have an d still remain relevant after 30 years. Those who say that they haven't released anything decent since Acthung Baby obviously haven't really been listening to their subsequent albums or given them a chance. No Line On the Horizon is up tjhere with Achtung in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Chriskavo wrote: »
    Those who say that they haven't released anything decent since Acthung Baby obviously haven't really been listening to their subsequent albums.

I agree with you, I think they haven't released anything decent since Pop!

Another reason may be the torrent of abuse that many radio stations receive when they play certain artists (U2, Keane to name but two). I've worked in two radio stations and you get listeners texting and emailing in - some of it rather abusive - especially when U2 songs are played!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

No, otherwise they wouldn't be so immensely popular like they are all over the world. What a fantastic band they are and every album they release is superb including their last which topped Rolling Stone magazines album of the year award as well as song of the year award for ' Moment Of Surrender'. No band in the history of recorded sound have come out with consistently awesome music like these boys have an d still remain relevant after 30 years. Those who say that they haven't released anything decent since Acthung Baby obviously haven't really been listening to their subsequent albums.

Jazus, amen to that! I completely and whole heartedly agree with you. Their music is amazing and their new album is incredible, although it did take me a few run through to really get into it. Not aassive fan of Bono and his save the plaet crap. I agree with itinerary principle and that celebs should support it, but he's gone to far. Nice guy though

eth0_ wrote: »
    I agree with you, I think they haven't released anything decent since Pop!

Another reason may be the torrent of abuse that many radio stations receive when they play certain artists (U2, Keane to name but two). I've worked in two radio stations and you get listeners texting and emailing in - some of it rather abusive - especially when U2 songs are played!

Jaysus dont put them in the same bracket as Keane please!!:D but its cool and hip to knock U2 esp. if you are Irish. I think alot of it is to do with over familiarity and to some extent their is a generation gap also. I grew up with this band and they are a soundtrack to my life in many respects. POP I agree is a fantastic album only getting the recognition it deserves now some 11 years after its release. The same will happen with their most recent NLOTH - a sublime record up there with their very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Sandvich

Real FM wrote: »
    Not an ounce of truth in their lack of air play being because they're not as good as they used to be. Look at some of the crap you hear on the radio - John and Edward were getting plenty of air time and regardless of what you think of U2's recent albums, their materials better than that tripe.

Simple answer is that they're not pushing anything. Just after their last album launch 2fm had 2 U2 special weekends.

Exactly. I'm not a huge fan of U" but people are just looking to get a cheap jab in that makes no sense.

Do you really think Beyonce's latest turd is better than "With or Without You"? Probably not.

Rolling Stone: U2 Had Best Album, Best Song Of 2009
    December 10th, 2009 8:54am EST 5 comments Add to My News | More
    U2's "No Line On The Horizon" has topped Rolling Stone magazine's Best Albums of 2009 poll.

The release beat Bruce Springsteen's "Working on a Dream," Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix by Phoenix and Jay-Z's "The Blueprint 3."

Meanwhile, U2 have also scored the Best Song of 2009 honor with "Moment of Surrender." The song beat "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z and Alicia Keys and Bruce Springsteen's "Outlaw Pete" among the editors' picks.

Precious was named Best Movie, ahead of Up in the Air and The Hurt Locker.

Best song of 2009 - Moment Of Surrender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Is any of this relevant to the question asked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Neilson Music Control analyzed the proportion of total audiences reached by Irish music and found it is mostly played in late night slots and at weekends. Which means it is heard by only 5% of the total radio audience. Whether U2 would fall into this category, I'm not sure. It would seem that in order to reach that 30% Irish music quota they are jamming it into off-peak programs.

http://www.hotpress.ie/archive/4498144.html

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Is any of this relevant to the question asked?

Yes because some of the posts are arguing that their music is not good enough for mainstream radio consumption. I'm counter arguing that point because it's not true. I posted the Rolling stone magazine poll result to show that they are still as popular and as relevant as ever. I don't know if it is true that the radio doesn't play their music. I don't listen to mainstream radio but prefer to listen to Phantom FM which to my surprise plays U2's music quite a bit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yes because some of the posts are arguing that their music is not good enough for mainstream radio consumption. I'm counter arguing that point because it's not true. I posted the Rolling stone magazine poll result to show that they are still as popular and as relevant as ever. I don't know if it is true that the radio doesn't play their music. I don't listen to mainstream radio but prefer to listen to Phantom FM which to my surprise plays U2's music quite a bit.

Which would make Phantom mainstream according to your opening lines. I agree Phantom is mainstream. it's just playing more of the music that some other commercial stations play less of.

I caught U2 twice in the last two days on the radio. With or without you and oddly eh...think it's called One tree hill. Whatever it was that Fanning fella played the 2nd one.

U2 have a long time ago fallen into the inescapable pit of being one of those bands that parents like, therefore young people can't and will rale against them at every opportunity. It's very boring and predictable...a bit like U2. But U2 do get played on radio and those that don't/can't like them get to jump all over threads on line that mention them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

eth0_ wrote: »

Really? That's so funny... I wasn't aware of U2 being snubbed. I seem to hear their songs quite a bit, and I mostly listen to R1 and Newstalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Ok guys it's drifting off the topic. Keep it to the subject please

• Advertisement

Which would make Phantom mainstream according to your opening lines.

Not at - I don't hear any other radio station playing The Smiths at 9 in the morning. Phantom play U2's music occasionally and why not - awesome band.

Advertisement