Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day in the city... what should I do?

Options
  • 25-04-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Im going to Cork to see someone but will have the remainer of the day free and would like some suggestions on how I should spend it, no shopping, we have shops in Limerick ;) Im often in the city but have never explored it really... not looking for a history trail either :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Im going to Cork to see someone but will have the remainer of the day free and would like some suggestions on how I should spend it, no shopping, we have shops in Limerick ;) Im often in the city but have never explored it really... not looking for a history trail either :o

What about a walk along the river to Fitzgeralds Park, if the weather's nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Nice idea... Thanks

Or you could take a train trip to Cobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Take a look around the English Market?
    Find somewhere nice and quiet to grab a bite to eat :)

What day of the week will it be?

Think tomorrow... maybe Tuesday. Like the sound of the market :D

• Advertisement

colblimp wrote: »
    Or you could take a train trip to Cobh.

You for real ?
    Sitting on the Grand Parade guzzling coffee all day would be a better suggestion :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

I found this site not so long ago. Personally I'd choose the Cork City Hop-on/Hop-Off Bus Tour on the site. Here are the details :Tour Cork City on board a double-deck open air bus, making 16 stops at all the major attractions including St. Finbarr’s Cathedral, St. Anne’s Shandon, Cork City Gaol, English Market, Grand Parade, Custom House, City Hall, Tourist Office, and more. Get on and off as often as you wish; buy your ticket on board or at the tourist office. April – October, daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, contact the Cork City Tours (tel. 021-430-9090).

This seems pretty good if you're not from the city and want to see the sights in Cork. Not sure if it goes into the historical details though, as you said its not what you're looking for. +1 on the idea of the English Market or the walk in Fitzgerald's Park.

Just a suggestion :)

You could get the number 14 bus to The Lough (less than 2 miles from city centre), have a quick stroll around it (10 mins or so) then stroll up to Lennox's of Bandon Road for some yummy chips :)

2008_0212Lough0005.jpg

Thanks for some great suggestions guys. Whats wrong with Cobh BTW :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Thanks for some great suggestions guys. Whats wrong with Cobh BTW :confused:

Sh!t hole TBH

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with it as such, has a reputation as a bit of a kip but that's not unusual. Nice sights down there, I reckon a train ride to Cobh, stroll around and train back to Cork isn't the best use to make of a day in Cork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

RoverJames wrote: »
    You could get the number 14 bus to The Lough (less than 2 miles from city centre), have a quick stroll around it (10 mins or so) then stroll up to Lennox's of Bandon Road for some yummy chips :)

2008_0212Lough0005.jpg

+1........go into the Hawthorn bar and have your lunch upstairs overlooking the Lough - one of the best places to pass a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We have shops in Limerick ;)
    Not Brown-Thomas you do.

English Market if you like the smell of rotting exotic fish. Cork Gaol is a little out of the way but worth a visit,

Nothing wrong with it as such, has a reputation as a bit of a kip but that's not unusual. Nice sights down there, I reckon a train ride to Cobh, stroll around and train back to Cork isn't the best use to make of a day in Cork though.

OK, I think you've made your point. The OP asked for suggestions, I suggested a couple of things to do. There's no need for aggression!

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

You could get the bus to Kinsale. Takes 50 mins each way. Much nicer than Cobh.

cjmcork wrote: »
    +1........go into the Hawthorn bar and have your lunch upstairs overlooking the Lough - one of the best places to pass a few hours

Lunch upstairs would now be a Chinese, meant to be nice though :)
    OK, I think you've made your point. The OP asked for suggestions, I suggested a couple of things to do. There's no need for aggression!

Agression, please point out the agression for me ? No aggression was meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

English Market if you like the smell of rotting exotic fish.

When is the last time you were in there? I am in there every Saturday and I do not like fish myself however not once I have I smelt any rotting fish or been put off by any smells. The fish also only takes up one small part of the market.
    Cork Gaol is a little out of the way but worth a visit,

She said she doesn't want a history trail... still a good idea though (for people who are into that kind of thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

kingtut wrote: »
    When is the last time you were in there? I am in there every Saturday and I do not like fish myself however not once I have I smelt any rotting fish or been put off by any smells. The fish also only takes up one small part of the market.

She said she doesn't want a history trail... still a good idea though (for people who are into that kind of thing).

wait until the weather gets hot.. the place reeks to the high heavens.. you could smell it from Patrick St.. and im immune to most smells..

op, I didnt read thru other replies but what about open top bus tour of cork city? if you want to go further afield glandore, rosscarbury (spelling?) and leap in west Cork are cool if the weather is nice

You could always go to Galway instead... :rolleyes:

Know Galway alot better.. lived up there for a bit ;)

But thanks for the help and great suggestions people... and who said Cork people were langers :p:D

Ill let ye know what I get up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Galway is way too touristy and overated.Cork has a nice big city/small town feel to it and i think it's a much better city than Dublin and Galway.

I love Cork but having lived in Galway for a year up until a month or so ago I wouldn't agree it's too touristy, also feels nothing like a city at all, advantages of Galway I would see

- no junkies begging
    - pubs are far friendlier, pretencious spots for rich kids are hard to find
    - knob ends in Munster jerseys are a rare site
    - the retail areas have an old style quaintness about them
    - restaurants etc are more reasonably priced

In saying all that I refused a permanent job up there straight away even though I had nothing lined up so Cork is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

no shopping, we have shops in Limerick ;)
    Well if by 'shops' you mean €2 discount stores, then yes, Limerick has plenty ;) That's all i see when i walk down O'Connell and William St anyway.

I love Cork but having lived in Galway for a year up until a month or so ago I wouldn't agree it's too touristy, also feels nothing like a city at all, advantages of Galway I would see

- no junkies begging
    - pubs are far friendlier, pretencious spots for rich kids are hard to find
    - knob ends in Munster jerseys are a rare site
    - the retail areas have an old style quaintness about them
    - restaurants etc are more reasonably priced

In saying all that I refused a permanent job up there straight away even though I had nothing lined up so Cork is better.

I just think Galway feels like some tourist theme park than a proper city and it's as bad for skangers as any other place in ireland and the place is always full of those romany gypsies begging.I think Cork is a more genuine place and it doesn't rely on false PR to promote itself.As for the retail areas pana,and oliver pllunkett street heck even north main street beat Shop Street hands down.As for less pretencious pubs the kings head is the most tourist and pretensious pub in the country.And it doesn't even come close to Cork for pubs the washingston street strip for the yuppies,oliver plunkett street and the side streets for the older drinker not to mention the barrack street challenge.While Galway is okay compared to lets say Ennis it doesn't compare to Cork and Dublin with regards what i want from a city.:)

grenache wrote: »
    Well if by 'shops' you mean €2 discount stores, then yes, Limerick has plenty ;) That's all i see when i walk down O'Connell and William St anyway.

as far as Im aware there is maybe 2 on Mallow Street... dont recall seeing any on O Connell Street :rolleyes:
    Cork has more or less the same shops as Limerick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Galway is way too touristy and overated.Cork has a nice big city/small town feel to it and i think it's a much better city than Dublin and Galway.

Says Mr Cork Man!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I just think Galway feels like some tourist theme park than a proper city and it's as bad for skangers as any other place in ireland and the place is always full of those romany gypsies begging.I think Cork is a more genuine place and it doesn't rely on false PR to promote itself.As for the retail areas pana,and oliver pllunkett street heck even north main street beat Shop Street hands down.As for less pretencious pubs the kings head is the most tourist and pretensious pub in the country.And it doesn't even come close to Cork for pubs the washingston street strip for the yuppies,oliver plunkett street and the side streets for the older drinker not to mention the barrack street challenge.While Galway is okay compared to lets say Ennis it doesn't compare to Cork and Dublin with regards what i want from a city.:)

Someone has issues with Galway! The skanger level in Galway is no different to else where. The are **** loads more Romany Gypsies in Cork. Galway in the same sentence as Ennis?! I'm from Galway and living in Cork and do think its better than Galway but your comments have made me want to defend my town.

Lots of people love Galway. It's probably Ireland's favorite city, although I dont have facts to prove it!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Ill let ye know what I get up to.

What did you actually do in the end, don't think you told us!

darrenh wrote: »
    Someone has issues with Galway! The skanger level in Galway is no different to else where. The are **** loads more Romany Gypsies in Cork. Galway in the same sentence as Ennis?! I'm from Galway and living in Cork and do think its better than Galway but your comments have made me want to defend my town.

Lots of people love Galway. It's probably Ireland's favorite city, although I dont have facts to prove it!

First of all im from Cork county not Cork city and to be honest i don't consider Galway to be a city.I would see it as town similar to Mallow,Clonmel etc.With that said i do live there now and i do like it.It wouldn't be as good as Cork or Dublin in terms of what you wan't from a city but it's hell of a lot better than the likes of Ennis,Athlone,Tullamore etc.So all in all while i would find Dublin to be too big,Galway to be too small i think Cork is the right size.It has a nice small town/big city feel to it so there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Suprised no one has mentioned fota island nice way to spend a day and like 10-15 minute cheap train journey.

Advertisement