Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Limerick Run - Can you help??

Options
  • 25-04-2010 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

As you know the May Bank Holiday weekend is shaping up to be a great one with Riverfest this year also including the first running of a marathon in Limerick in decades.

For the first time in Ireland runners of all abilities will have the opportunity to tackle one of three simultaneous races; 10km, half and full marathon. Top quality sponsors are on board, the route is measured and certified and thousands have already signed up.

But even if you aren't running (this year ;)) you can still help make this event a success. Having raced in marathons I can tell you that the one thing every runner agrees on it's the importance of good crowd support. You might not think it means a lot but having a random stranger clap you or give you a call out can make all the difference, so if you are around it would be great if you could make it to the route to give a roar for teh poor eeijits slogging thier way round!

An even better way of making sure that this event takes off and becomes teh success that this city deserves would be by volunteering. Volunteers are absolutely vital for an event of this scale doing everything from manning the bag drops, marshalling the route, handing out water or dishing out the medals. No prior experience is needed and I can promise you a memorable experience. We're very quick around here to moan about the bad things in the city or the negative publicity we get. Well here is a chance to give thousands of people a really positive impression of teh town and for the cost of a few hours of your time.

If you are interested just pop over to the Great Limerick Run Website or email volunteer@greatlimerickrun.com

Thanks!

(and a big thank you to the Mods for letting me post this in here)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

What idiot scheduled it for the same day as the heineken cup semi final? As well as that its on the same day of the Joey hannon triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

We're very quick around here to moan about the bad things in the city or the negative publicity we get.
    What idiot scheduled it for the same day as the heineken cup semi final?

sigh...

I know two people running,well walking in it. If it goes ahead again next year I will, cant at the mo for medical reasons, but its definitely something good for the city, should be a great weekend with all thats going on, roll on that BBQ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Jigga wrote: »
    What idiot scheduled it for the same day as the heineken cup semi final? As well as that its on the same day of the Joey hannon triathlon

Whatever about the Joey Hannon tri, Munsterh ave no God-given right to get into HEC semi-finals, and the Riverfest weekend is the obvious weekend to try and start it.

Rather then getting unduly negative about it, why not go out, get involved and try and make it a success? Go on, give up a few hours of your time to help support something happening in Limerick. Who knows, some young hot running chick might catch your eye. Could be the beginning of a beautiful story...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I would strongly advise you tone down your language young man. such statements have a tendancy to bring out the angry in me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Typical Munster Rugby attitude. Here's a big a shock for you, a lot of people in Limerick and Munster actually don't care all that much for Munster Rugby PLC. Just to put it in perspective, they cater for a population of about 1 million people and their home stadium has a capacity of 26k. Do the Maths.

Riverfest has been on the May Bank Holiday weekend for years and it would only be natural to incorporate the run into that weekend. The fact that the Munster match is on should only add to the event given that it's an away game so won't have a massive amount of people attending it, so those who do want to watch the game will also be converging on the city to watch it in the pubs (because they can't watch the games at home apparently), and will add to the atmosphere around the place.

Hopefully the weekend is a roaring success and Munster win as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

What idiot scheduled the Heineken Cup semi-final for the same weekend as Riverfest???

OP, good to see your post, would volunteer, or even run if it wasn't for so much college work. Next year, I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I would have run myself but it is very expensive for what you get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am running in it, so will be trotting along happy at being able to run a marathon in the town I live in. It will also be my 10th marathon so it is nice for the Limerick run to be the one that will be a personal landmark.

Some aspects of the organisation I think could have been done better, but then again the mistakes made this year will be ironed out for future runs.

Where the entry fee money goes is a bone of contention with me though, but that was highlighted in a few national papers a few weeks back so no need to go into too much detail. I just think that charities should be benefitting from the entry fees (after the costs of setting up the event etc is deducted of course) rather than a big fat 0% going to charity.

I know a huge number of people taken part will be doing their own thing for charities of their choice, myself included, but it would have been nice if local charities gained a bit extra.

So is the race set up perfect? No not at all, but I would sooner have it happening in a flawed format that can be improved upon than for it not to be happening at all.

As for the Munster game I could not care less. Everything in the town cannot be arranged around a game on tv, and those travelling to the game will see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Typical Munster Rugby attitude. Here's a big a shock for you, a lot of people in Limerick and Munster actually don't care all that much for Munster Rugby PLC. Just to put it in perspective, they cater for a population of about 1 million people and their home stadium has a capacity of 26k. Do the Maths.

Exactly, I hate this attitude that the almighty Munster rugby should take priority over everything in Limerick, like everything else should just stop or reschedule because a match is on, it'll only add to the weekend having so many things on,anyone who wants to watch the match can, wheres the issue?

krudler wrote: »
    Exactly, I hate this attitude that the almighty Munster rugby should take priority over everything in Limerick, like everything else should just stop or reschedule because a match is on, it'll only add to the weekend having so many things on,anyone who wants to watch the match can, wheres the issue?

The Munster match might bring €10 million to the city and that dang riverfest will only get in the way. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

What time does the race start on Sunday, can't find it on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭georgem25

Marathon 9am
    Half marathon 11am
    10k 12.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Having it on the same day as the Munster game is obviously going to have a big impact on the amount of people competing and watching the marathon. I think they have only failed to get to the semi finals twice in the past decade so not as if it is a surprise that they made it.

Awful bad form to have it clashing with the Joey Hannan Triathlon, whoever did that must have no knowledge of local athletics.

Its just a money making scheme by a commercial organisation, €50 for a mini marathon FFS. A lot of abd feeling with local athletics clubs in Limerick about the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Having it on the same day as the Munster game is obviously going to have a big impact on the amount of people competing and watching the marathon. I think they have only failed to get to the semi finals twice in the past decade so not as if it is a surprise that they made it.

Awful bad form to have it clashing with the Joey Hannan Triathlon, whoever did that must have no knowledge of local athletics.

Its just a money making scheme by a commercial organisation, €50 for a mini marathon FFS. A lot of abd feeling with local athletics clubs in Limerick about the whole thing

It'll be long over by the time the match starts and well out of UL long before Joey kicks off.

As for teh race, it is what it is. I'm just glad it's here and I hope it does well. Maybe if it does the local athletics clubs will club together and run a competitor event with lower prices that doesn't clash with anything and that way we all win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Shouldnt be a problem as the match is away.. and well crapfest is crapfest.. dont really consider a bar b q and a market a festival anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

When was the Limerick run decided because it's only in the last few weeks that the S/F schedule was agreed.

Can't see the two clashing having a huge impact either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

A lot of abd feeling with local athletics clubs in Limerick about the whole thing

The Limerick Athletic clubs have had plenty of chances to arrange something, anything, like this in Limerick. They have no interest (nor should they) in guys who just want to run to stay a bit fit and have a bit of a jog. Other clubs arrange events for all standards, Limerick never bothered and they shouldn't bother cribbing about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

The Limerick Athletic clubs have had plenty of chances to arrange something, anything, like this in Limerick. They have no interest (nor should they) in guys who just want to run to stay a bit fit and have a bit of a jog. Other clubs arrange events for all standards, Limerick never bothered and they shouldn't bother cribbing about it now.

As a member of one of the athletics clubs, I'd refer you to the Limerick Ladies Mini-Marathon, organised by Limerick AC. About 4,000 ladies entered last year, the vast vast majority of whom just want to run to stay a bit fit and have a bit of a jog.

In fairness, resources are very tight, athletics is not exactly a majority sport and the clubs are more interested in preserving their meagre resources developing young athletes and organising kids' athletics as opposed to going to the enormous expense of running a marathon.

I'm delighted that there is a marathon/half marathon/10k being run in Limerick this weekend. I'm running the half myself. I hope it's a tremendous success, goes according to plan and makes a shed load of money for the lads who are organising it. Fair play to them for taking the initiative. The prices are no more than similar events like Cork and Dublin. The earlier you entered, the cheaper it was to run.

I also hope that everyone who has been out training for the Great Limerick Run is well and truly bitten by the running bug and comes along to their local club to see what they can do next ;) I can assure you that clubs are not just for elite runners, they are for every class and calibre of runner/jogger/shuffler/walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

As a member of one of the athletics clubs, I'd refer you to the Limerick Ladies Mini-Marathon, organised by Limerick AC. About 4,000 ladies entered last year, the vast vast majority of whom just want to run to stay a bit fit and have a bit of a jog.

on a one-off mini marathon?

on a one-off mini marathon?

where men were told to refrain from entering. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sma2008

any idea how many are taking part in the run? I've heard organising were expecting 10,000 plus but only 2000 have registerd so far!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

sma2008 wrote: »
    any idea how many are taking part in the run? I've heard organising were expecting 10,000 plus but only 2000 have registerd so far!!

My understanding is between 700 and 1000 for the full marathon (allowing for no-shows), and that of course would be the smallest of all of the fields. No idea about the others but if the figures I have for the marathon are correct then I would expect a lot more than 2,000 but a lot less than 10,000.

I find it hard to believe that they were "expecting" 10k runners - Dublin is the biggest marathon in the country and it only got above 10,000 recently. Cork is now in year 4 or 5 and it's a long way short of that too.

Well like was mentioned before they priced themselves out of it.

The private business entity earning all the money instead of a charity being aided in some way is a major turnoff for a riverfest event.

I will be in the city to see it myself so best of luck to anybody entering as I know a lot of people from the ages of 18 right through to 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Some charities are benefiting I think.
    St. Gabriels, Milford Hospice and Crumlin Children's Hosptial are named on the website as official charities. I don't know how much each will get.
    I am taking part in the 10k and hopefully it will be great for Limerick. I do think the timing was bad with the Joey Hannon on the same day. As far as I know the Joey Hannon is booked out so it didnt loose out.

From today's Limerick Leader
    Over 2,400 people have signed up for the 10km race, 1,500 will be running the half-marathon, and another 700 people at least will be running the marathon. Many are also planning to run the race in fancy dress.

So approx 5000, seems a pretty good number..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cian_s_obrien

Any idea who will be providing medical cover for this event ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Limerickgal82

Stab*City wrote: »
    Shouldnt be a problem as the match is away.. and well crapfest is crapfest.. dont really consider a bar b q and a market a festival anyway.

I am over people being so negative :mad:
    The bank holiday schedule is a great showcase for our fab city and should be looked at with pride. The great Limerick run is brilliant and fair play to any one doing it. I will be cheering on all the runners/ walkers and as a Munster fan i will then go watch the match. :D So HAVE PRIDE IN YOUR CITY :)

Any idea who will be providing medical cover for this event ?

St John's Ambulance and the Civil Defense are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

Berty wrote: »
    Well like was mentioned before they priced themselves out of it.

The private business entity earning all the money instead of a charity being aided in some way is a major turnoff for a riverfest event.

I will be in the city to see it myself so best of luck to anybody entering as I know a lot of people from the ages of 18 right through to 55.

WHat price would it have to be to enter in order for you to sign up? If you signed up early I think it cost €45. It is normal for 20 weeks training before completing a full marathon, so it you had signed up 12,16,20+ weeks ago it would have been a lot cheeper than now.

If you want money to go to charity, why don't you run for a charity?

I also know lots of people between 18 & 55!!???!!!? but I don't know what that has to do with the price of potatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

Does anyone know what the traffic plans are for the morning of the run. I assume there will be some road closures?

Advertisement