Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Limerick Run - Can you help??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Aesop wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the traffic plans are for the morning of the run. I assume there will be some road closures?

All the details are here: http://www.limerick.ie/Roadworks/Name,19003,en.html
    Road Traffic Notice - The Great Limerick Run

Limerick City Council advise motorists, residents and road users that the following roads will be closed to vehicular traffic and parking on Sunday, 2nd May, 2010 between 7.00am and 2.00pm.
     Catherine Place
     Pery Square
     Barrington Street
     Hartstonge Street

The following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic and parking between 7.00am and 5.00pm

 O’Connell Street (between Sarsfield Street and Cecil Street)
     Lower Cecil Street (between Henry Street and O’Connell Street)
     Bedford Row
     Thomas Street (between O’Connell Street and Little William Street)
     Roches Street (between Catherine Street and O’Connell Street)

Parking restrictions will operate on the following streets for periods from 7.00am.

 Mona Tce.
     St. Lelia Street
     New Road, Pennywell
     The Crescent
     S. C. Rd (between Quin St and St. Gerard St)
     Ennis Road (between Sarsfield St and Union Cross)
    Upper Gerald Griffin Street
     Parnell Street
     Davis Street
     Upper Gerald Griffin Street
     Lower Gerald Griffin Street
     O’Connell Ave (between Quinlan St and Punches Cross)

Motorists can expect some traffic delays in the City Centre, Ennis Road and
    O’Connell Ave between 11.00am and 4.00pm also on the Dublin Road between
    9.00am and 12.00 noon.

Local diversions will be signposted.

Businesses/residents and institutions affected by parking prohibitions will receive
    additional notices with full details.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They have left big chunks out of their list of road closures and traffic restrictions.

They have only listed the ones within the city limits. They also have not notified a lot of business as to the exact details like they claimed they would, but then again it is the City Coucil that is involved so half assed jobs is about right for them.

The race routes, especially the marathon, will be going through Rosbrien, Dooradoyle etc and there will be restrictions in those areas also.

Best thing to do is to check the maps and see what is going through your local area to see if it impacts on you.

10K route

http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/tenk.html

Half Marathon route
    hm_map.jpg

Marathon route
    Official_marathon.jpg

To the folk of Dooradoyle. Your King shall be running in the marathon at the weekend so I expect you all out in great numbers to wish me well (or throw eggs) as I pass by :P

Get working on your Kess The King banners and you may receive a royal wave as I trot by. :D

To anyone who is running in any of the three runs, best of luck and enjoy the day. If you are just running for fun, could I be so bold as to suggest that you try to raise some money from where you work/from friends/from a local business etc and use your run to help some of the local charities. It is never too late to raise a bit.

There are so many good causes out there and plenty who would be delighted to have the extra help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GChild76

Best of luck to everyone running on Sunday. Hope the training has been going well! It's a great weekend for Limerick with Riverfest, the Munster match and the run. About time Limerick got the good side out ;)

I'm a novice runner myself but I'll be running the 10k. Have enjoyed the training, hoping to keep it up after this! I work in Angel Lane and I'll be working on the night but for the rest of ye there's a complimentary drinks reception in Angel Lane for all runners who show their medal. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I am over people being so negative :mad:

Obviously your not.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PaudieMac

Pictures from the Limerick marathon

http://www.runningpictures.blogspot.com/

• Advertisement

PaudieMac wrote: »
    Pictures from the Limerick marathon

http://www.runningpictures.blogspot.com/

Did you take all the pics yourself?

You have me in two of them :D

I would like to say a big thanks to all the people who cheered on the runners and walkers today. It can make a big difference for runners, especially to some of those who were running their first marathon today. That cheer or friendly encouragement gave a lot of people the boost they needed to get across the line.

Kudos also to those who gave up their free time to help out at water stations and the like, and who helped with the medals etc. You guys and gals played a huge part in today, and I hope you were told that a lot by all involved.

Today was my tenth marathon and it was pretty cool to have what is a landmark run for me in this town.

To the scrote with his tracksuit pants tucked inside his socks who thought he was being funny with his vile comments towards some of the women running and by trying to jump out in front of runners at the last second, now you know what it feels like when a 6'3 16.5 stone man does not change direction to avoid your underfed carcass, hope it hurts. You were in the minority today in terms of not supporting the runners, and the crap you were doing was dangerous, so again I hope landing on your arse hurt.

This event will get better and better now that the first one is done. I am already looking foward to running in next year's marathon here. Well done Limerick, your people did you proud today.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

Kess73 wrote: »
    I would like to say a big thanks to all the people who cheered on the runners and walkers today. It can make a big difference for runners, especially to some of those who were running their first marathon today. That cheer or friendly encouragement gave a lot of people the boost they needed to get across the line.

Kudos also to those who gave up their free time to help out at water stations and the like, and who helped with the medals etc. You guys and gals played a huge part in today, and I hope you were told that a lot by all involved.

Yep

did the half and I would certainly like to say thanks to all the volunteers and race organisers because it was a great day. Pipe Band by Johns Castle and the Brass Band on the Ennis Road certainly gave a weary runner a lift. I will certainly give it a go next year

Favourite memory would be the big crowd of runners heading up O'Connell Street at the start. I would be interested to know the final numbers. What about that bridge at the Crescent.... certainly alot easier in the car:-)

Yep

did the half and I would certainly like to say thanks to all the volunteers and race organisers because it was a great day. Pipe Band by Johns Castle and the Brass Band on the Ennis Road certainly gave a weary runner a lift. I will certainly give it a go next year

Favourite memory would be the big crowd of runners heading up O'Connell Street at the start. I would be interested to know the final numbers. What about that bridge at the Crescent.... certainly alot easier in the car:-)

I live not too far from that bridge so am well used to it as I use that area as part of one of my training routes. Also I do a fair bit of training in hilly areas in the county coupled with in Clare and Kerry so the Creek bridge is no challenge at this point. :D

My favourite memory was hanging around for a few hours after I finished to watch a friend of mine finish her first marathon. Was so proud of her when she finished as she had put in a hell of a lot of effort into her training despite some recent setbacks in her life, and the smile on her face when she knew she had done it was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

certainly it was a great day - the sheer volume of walkers/runners on the Ennis Road which I saw was fairly astounding. Fair play to everyone, and the city looked great in the sunshine too. Surely this will be an annual event now.

Only disappointment is that I took a visitor up to see Thomond Park this evening and there are hundreds of water cups left behind right outside the entrance. I guess this was a water zone - pity it wasn't tidied up afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Only disappointment is that I took a visitor up to see Thomond Park this evening and there are hundreds of water cups left behind right outside the entrance. I guess this was a water zone - pity it wasn't tidied up afterwards.

You think that's bad? I was on O'Connell Street at about 8pm this evening and I literally couldn't believe my eyes at the state it was in. Literally hundreds and hundreds of Ballygowan water bottles, banana skins, cardboard boxes and crisp bags, sweet wrappers strewn across the full length of both footpaths on each side of the road. It was absolutely disgusting. I did see Limerick City Council vans out trying to address the situation as I was leaving the area and a good job they were because the entire area looked like a Third World scrap heap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

You think that's bad? I was on O'Connell Street at about 8pm this evening and I literally couldn't believe my eyes at the state it was in. Literally hundreds and hundreds of Ballygowan water bottles, banana skins, cardboard boxes and crisp bags, sweet wrappers strewn across the full length of both footpaths on each side of the road. It was absolutely disgusting. I did see Limerick City Council vans out trying to address the situation as I was leaving the area and a good job they were because the entire area looked like a Third World scrap heap.

Ahh give them a chance!! They were out at 5am coning the roads off and teh clean up and strip down will be going on long after the runners are all tucked up in bed tonight - in fairness if you saw LCC cleaning up the mess why not give them a chance to finish the job before coming on here and slagging off the state of the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

My OH ran the full marathon today and I am so proud of him!
    Kudo's to all and it was great and quite emotional waiting for someone you knew to cross the finish line.
    I met a lovely woman who's daughter and son were running and she was as proud as punch so it was nice to feel like that in Limerick (for a change). :)

Well done Johnny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 PaudieMac

I did indeed. Enjoyed it to. Would have prefered to be running but hey cycle around and take pictures and give out some water is something to do this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Aidric wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Er, Aidric can you and your rolleyes stop stalking my posts? It's getting kind of pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

For once can this not turn into a you versus me thing and just wish all who made it a great day be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Er, Aidric can you and your rolleyes stop stalking my posts? It's getting kind of pathetic.

If a post ever deserved rolleyes that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Stalking your posts? Don't be codding yourself. I, along with many other have pulled you up time and again for your consistent negative attacks in this forum. Your last comment about a 'third world scrap heap' was quite frankly laughable and deserved every rolleyes it got. You do realise that there was approx 5k people competing in a marathon around the city as well as their families, supporters, volunteers. Throw in to the mix the Munster match and the Riverfest and that's a lot of foot traffic. Of course there is going to be rubbish but it will get cleared eventually. You honestly expected the place to be spotless a couple of hours after the marathon finished? Get real.

Sorry for taking this ot but it needed to be said. Congratulations to all who took part in the marathon today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I wasn't giving out about the council not cleaning up, it was the people manning the water tables I thought should have cleaned up after themselves - assuming they had some kind of surface/tables for the water cups. Surely when taking away the tables they should have seen the mess themselves. Any private group hosting an event should have cleaning staff organised for straight away afterwards to clean up, not just rely on the council (unless they have actually contracted/paid the council to do it). It would have only taken a few minutes to clear the cups at the entrance. Didn't see O'Connell st but guessing it was probably more spread out and harder to clear up.

I still think it was a great event. I wasn't slagging it off - just disapointed at the mess left behind afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

it was the people manning the water tables I thought should have cleaned up after themselves - assuming they had some kind of surface/tables for the water cups. Surely when taking away the tables they should have seen the mess themselves. Any private group hosting an event should have cleaning staff organised for straight away afterwards to clean up, not just rely on the council (unless they have actually contracted/paid the council to do it).

The people at the water stations were volunteers who manned them for hours, and as i drove past TP after the event I saw all the materials they had used where all in sealed recycling bags... it was just the cups which were left along the roadside. Runners were told to chunk them on the side and that they would be cleaned up after the event - I'm pretty sure that they couldnt ask volunteers to walk along the road picking up thousands of cups under insurance issues!! But the roads were cleaned up after the event as promised and so i dont see a problem with it...

Well done to everybody involved and to those who stood on the streets to support runners or even that had bought jellys and water for participants, yesterday was one of those great eye opening experiences when you see the goodness of some people. Thanks again to all

• Registered Users Posts: 6 conmac

Hi
    Thanks Paudie for the great photos.Does anyone know where we can see some more of the Great Limerick Run.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

conmac wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks Paudie for the great photos.Does anyone know where we can see some more of the Great Limerick Run.
    Thanks
    IMGP5929.JPG

IMGP5923.JPG
    More Pics [ Here ]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

The people at the water stations were volunteers who manned them for hours, and as i drove past TP after the event I saw all the materials they had used where all in sealed recycling bags... it was just the cups which were left along the roadside. Runners were told to chunk them on the side and that they would be cleaned up after the event - I'm pretty sure that they couldnt ask volunteers to walk along the road picking up thousands of cups under insurance issues!! But the roads were cleaned up after the event as promised and so i dont see a problem with it...

Well done to everybody involved and to those who stood on the streets to support runners or even that had bought jellys and water for participants, yesterday was one of those great eye opening experiences when you see the goodness of some people. Thanks again to all

The plastic cups in front of TP were still there this morning around 4am. Surely the organisers of the event owes it to the area they pick as water points to have the area cleaned as soon as the race finishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

Oh there were still there this morning?? hmm... may have spoken too early so, Raheen and the city were cleaned up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

CCSL wrote: »
    IMGP5923.JPG

I passed this guy on sunday in raheen.....some people are just heros simple as...

Advertisement