Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

immersion switch hot to touch

Options
  • 26-04-2010 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

hi, recently the red light in the immersion switch in my house has been flickering, and sometimes would go out altogether when the switch is in the on position. The water wouldn't heat even though the switch was on, but the light had gone out. Other times the immersion switch would work fine, the light wouldn't go out and the water would heat as normal.

But tonight something strange happened, I went to switch off the immersion and the switch was hot to touch. The switch is like any ordinary plastic switch except with a little red light, like a cooker switch but not as large.

What could bne the problem here? Any feedback is appreciated,
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is a high resistance connection somewhere in the switch. Turn off this circuit at the board and get a qualified electrician to check it out.

This may be just a loose connection or the switch may have failed.

If you continue to use the immersion in it's present condition it may melt or go on fire. This problem should be simple and cheap to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree with 2011.replace switch asap.dont use until you do.remove clothes from the area of the switch.probably diy job .make sure power is off and tighten connection screws tightly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Im glad i came in here for a read. Im in my rented place for a week now so i dont know whats normal and whats not. i have had the immersion on a few times. Not for long each time. maybe 30 to 45 minutes each time. and the switch at the wall for the immersion feels warm to touch when i go to switch it off. would that be normal?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ilovesleep wrote: »
    i have had the immersion on a few times. Not for long each time. maybe 30 to 45 minutes each time. and the switch at the wall for the immersion feels warm to touch when i go to switch it off. would that be normal?
    My advice is that you should get it checked out. Only warm now could mean hot and then melted at a later date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

2011 wrote: »
    My advice is that you should get it checked out. Only warm now could mean hot and then melted at a later date.

Thanks for this 2011. i think i might call upon one of my new neighbours and introduce myself and explain the situation and see if its normal or not.

will also get in touch with the escate agent. i think thats where i go if i have problems. it will be tuesday when they are open next. i wont turn it on again until i have someone to look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You can knock it off at the board if you want added peace of mind, it should have it's own circuit most likely.

GL dealing with estate agents, they're like the curates egg, good in parts. Hopefully you get one that will keep appointments and get you sorted fairly rapid.

Embellish the story a little by saying it's starting to smell as well, if it hasn't already it soon will anyway;)

Advertisement