Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ripping legal digital copy from DVD...will not work or play DVD?

• 26-04-2010 1:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a DVD today (500 Days of Summer) and wanted to take the legal copy of it that comes on the disc and move it to my laptop (I have the license key for it too, yet cannot get to the menu that allows me to input the code).

Tried running it through WMP and WMP classic, both failed to load up past the main menu, the only changes I've made to the system is install FLV media bundle and codecs. Looking elsewhere online I've not found anything so far, I'm not even sure if this is the right place for this thread but am hopeful someone can provide some advice.

I'm running an Acer Aspire 5739G with Windows 7 Home Premium.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

Hi Master of Nothing

You cant legally copy a copy protected dvd,

what is the license key for

I bought a DVD today (500 Days of Summer) and wanted to take the legal copy of it that comes on the disc and move it to my laptop (I have the license key for it too, yet cannot get to the menu that allows me to input the code).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

These days, I've seen a lot of DVDs coming with digital copies (not sure if on another disk or just a link to download it is on the original DVD) so that you can load it up on to your media player. Presumably it's fairly heavily DRM protected so might only work with certain media players that support DRM.

It also may be a codec problem on the laptop either, depends how the digital copy is encoded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

WMP should be able to play any of them though it's the DRM king. Have you tried it with media centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

do you think that DVDs come with a license key like software, is that what you're trying to say?

i thought that under current copyright law, you are allowed to make one backup copy of the disc, or is that just for games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

i thought that under current copyright law, you are allowed to make one backup copy of the disc, or is that just for games?
    Thats not in Irish law.

An increasing number of movies come with Digital Copies and DRM license activation codes, that's most likely what the OP is talking about. The movie will only be watchable on devices and using software that supports the DRM. It may also only activate if you are in the region the original disc was intended for sale in (i.e. in the US with a US bought digital copy).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

dun79 wrote: »
    Hi Master of Nothing

You cant legally copy a copy protected dvd,

what is the license key for
    I know you cannot, which is why I said I have a license key...it comes with the insert of the dvd that allows you to take a digital copy of the movie from the disc, or the Fox Movie site legally for use on a laptop/pc/portable device.
    Yakuza wrote: »
    These days, I've seen a lot of DVDs coming with digital copies (not sure if on another disk or just a link to download it is on the original DVD) so that you can load it up on to your media player. Presumably it's fairly heavily DRM protected so might only work with certain media players that support DRM.

It also may be a codec problem on the laptop either, depends how the digital copy is encoded.
    I was thinking it may be yet another codec problem I'm not sure...even though I have since downloaded the K-Lite codec pack which covers a heck of a lot of codecs.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    WMP should be able to play any of them though it's the DRM king. Have you tried it with media centre?
    Not yet, but it is meant to work with either Itunes or WMP, I've got the current and fully updated version of WMP and dont use Itunes.
    whiteman19 wrote: »
    do you think that DVDs come with a license key like software, is that what you're trying to say?

Some dvds do it now yes, allowing you to have a legal copy of the movie to play on a laptop/pc/portable device.

Games and music cd's usually allow you one legal copy of each.

I'll get back to you guys with any results, cheers for the replies so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Thats not in Irish law.

An increasing number of movies come with Digital Copies and DRM license activation codes, that's most likely what the OP is talking about. The movie will only be watchable on devices and using software that supports the DRM. It may also only activate if you are in the region the original disc was intended for sale in (i.e. in the US with a US bought digital copy).

for games though, it's okay to make a backup, right? it says so in the manual, that you're allowed one backup copy. or is that just american law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Thats not in Irish law.

Somehow I didnt see your post come up on screen earlier...

But as it happens the DRM Manager for the disc will not fully load, I've tried updating the DRM management from Microsoft but the box is always greyed out meaning I cannot :(

That seems to be my problem, disc will not play anything other than main menu and I cannot update software to allow it seemingly...:mad: Now I'm stuck:p It's a region 2 PAL dvd so should be working fine...every other dvd I've tried so far had no problems.

Advertisement