Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi 9 year rule

• 26-04-2010 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Can anyone share some light on this, because any info I read on it looks to be of rumour that it wont happen yet.

I'm changing my car in two weeks, ready to hit the taxi game, but need to know what year motor I will buy.

If the 9 year rule is in effect now, then I need to buy and have 2 years into the business.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

No offence mate, but if your struggling to navigate your way to the regulators website I think your gonna struggle navigating the streets if Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Can anyone share some light on this, because any info I read on it looks to be of rumour that it wont happen yet.

I'm changing my car in two weeks, ready to hit the taxi game, but need to know what year motor I will buy.

If the 9 year rule is in effect now, then I need to buy and have 2 years into the business.

The taxi industry is in the middle of huge change, at the end of this month plates will only be transferable once. So if you buy a plate after this date you won't be able to sell it. The nine year rule doesn't come into effect till later on in the year. If I was a taxi man I would seriously consider selling my plate and renting a car and plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Would of thought as it was the market was flooded with taxis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

ronaneire wrote: »
    Would of thought as it was the market was flooded with taxis.

It is that's why the regulator has ceased issuing new plates. However the number buying off them was basically zero. You can still buy wheel chair plates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    No offence mate, but if your struggling to navigate your way to the regulators website I think your gonna struggle navigating the streets if Dublin

No offense mate, but do you assume that everyone on Boards.ie is from Dublin?

• Advertisement

No offense mate, but do you assume that everyone on Boards.ie is from Dublin?

Touche.

Doesnt change the fact that the Regulators website should be your first port of call. If you dont know that then best of luck, your gonna need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

About time tbh. Fair enough it'll make some good cars redundant and that's unfortunate but if it keeps 89 [!] Carina's and the like off the road then it's a sacrifice that should be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cson wrote: »
    About time tbh. Fair enough it'll make some good cars redundant and that's unfortunate but if it keeps 89 [!] Carina's and the like off the road then it's a sacrifice that should be made.

I agree with you. Unfortunately some old s classes and the likes will be removed, even though they are far superior cars the brand new corollas and the like which will still be allowed used despite being inadequate (particularly the small back seat and legroom)

There should have been another criteria but the 9 year rule is a very easy enforcement method, where others may have been more tedious and open to loop holes and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I spent about 30mins on that site last night, an just couldn't find it. Also couldn't even find out about the new rules, like boot capacity and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Pete, why not be a good sport and just link to the information for the OP if it's so easy to find etc?

• Advertisement

I spent about 30mins on that site last night, an just couldn't find it. Also couldn't even find out about the new rules, like boot capacity and stuff.

Everything you will need is linked from this page.

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/industry/vehicle-standards/vehicle-standards.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Taxipete29 wrote: »

Thats why every taxi man has a sat nav now i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Thats why every taxi man has a sat nav now i suppose.

They might all have them but I have never once seen a taxi driver use it!

Advertisement