Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

network issue: I can see workgroup but cannot access to the remote PCs

• 26-04-2010 6:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have troubles with my workgroup in my home network.

I have 3 PCs (2 XPs and 1 Win7).
    They are all part of the same workgroup
    All have firewall rights to access to each other PCs

the problem is that they all can see the other PCs in the workgroup. However, they are unable to access to each other's PCs.
    When I try to access remotely, the remote PC asks for the password of the guest account, which is disabled. If I enable the guest account in the remote PC the message I get is:
    "PC x is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. The network path was not found."

Any idea of what is going on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Is there a password set on the user accounts?
    Blank password would give you an issue.

See here
    Blank Password Network Access

Windows XP professional will not allow network users computer access without a password. Trying to do so will normally return and error code. To allow network access using a blank password:

[Start] [Run] and type gpedit.msc and click [OK]
    Navigate to Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options
    Double click on Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only.
    Select the radio button next to Disabled and click [OK]

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Thanks for your reply,

I did not know about the group policy options. It has a very interesting range of options to tweak the PC

Unfortunately, I have unchecked the option "Limit local account use of blank passwords to console login only", but still no luck

I have found another option in the same window "sharing and security model for local accounts", which has two options (classic and guest only)
    if I select "classic option" , i get the following error when trying to access the remote PC
    "PC x is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. The network path was not found."

if I select the "guest only option", i get a login prompt window as a guest user

However, I have not found any difference in the behavior if I have a guest account in the remote PC

I do not know what to do :(

Cheers

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Make sure you have the files and folders shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pjuegos

Problem sorted!

In the "advanced sharing settings" in Window 7, there is a parameter called "Password protected sharing", which was turned on.

By disabling that option, I can access shared folders without problem remotely.
    I am using zonealarm to restrict access to the IP addresses within my workgroup. So, security should not be an issue here

Thanks for your help

Advertisement