Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Show for LIDL again

Options
  • 26-04-2010 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

The soccer kits advertised over the weekend on LIDL weekly special ... called into shop a min ago to pick up three for my kids. None available. When I asked them if they were going on sale today the manager told me they wont be getting them in after all. Trouble with supplier he said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Wow, bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Consumer Issues
    >

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to 'Consumer Issues'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not much they can do if they haven't gotten them, its not like they have to compensate you or anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I can see the OPs point though, has happened to me before where they advertise an offer and either they only have 1 or 2 or noever got them in in the first place. Kinda sick of gunning for lidl bargains to be honest, if they are there at lunchtime then it was meant to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not much they can do if they haven't gotten them, its not like they have to compensate you or anything :)

Who said I want ot be compensated !
    They advertised these in the national newspapers and in the end they fell thru. Its blant false advertisement. And its not the first time this has happened with LIDL.

When i spoke to the manager about it, he admitted they knew a good few days ago they werent going to get the kits in, yet they still ran with the ads on their website and their newspaper pull-out.

Now I'm done ... thants my rant over with for today.
    I feel better now !
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's not false advertising, they just couldn't get stock. They also can't do anything about the flyers, as these will have been printed and sent to the Newspaper distributor well in advance, long before they knew the stock wouldn't be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

it happens! as said above it would have been too late to pull the advertising, its usually prepped weeks in advance.

did they put a notice up in the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

it's a con to get you into their store, the amount of times I have seen "bargains" advertised and when i go there, not a thing, it's a joke, I don't shop shop their now! :mad:

Antigone05 wrote: »
    it happens! as said above it would have been too late to pull the advertising, its usually prepped weeks in advance.

did they put a notice up in the store?

The manager was putting up the sign as I was arguing with him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CamperMan wrote: »
    it's a con to get you into their store, the amount of times I have seen "bargains" advertised and when i go there, not a thing, it's a joke, I don't shop shop their now! :mad:

Its not a con but it is the whole point of the bargains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

godtabh wrote: »
    Its not a con but it is the whole point of the bargains

it's a con to get you into the stores, the amount of times I have seen Lidl promoting a special offer maybe some electronic goods, I go down to several stores looking for these items and they are never in the stores, I ask the managers and they say either they sold out or the goods have not arrived in the stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

either they sold out or the goods have not arrived in the stores.
    Not much they can do on either count.

Not much they can do on either count.

YES there is.
    Dont advertise (and con the reader) unless they know they will have stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

OR read the small print where it will likely say that the offer is subject to stock availability.

OR read the small print where it will likely say that the offer is subject to stock availability.

God how did i miss that !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

LOL... good one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭dogeyknees

I work in advertising and there is feck all you can do when a supplier lets you down. Those leaflets would need to be printed well in advance (they have to be at the papers at least 3 working days before the insert is run) then the leaflets are probably printed abroad as there is only 1 web printer in Ireland capable of doing that size of a job, so you may add another 2 weeks to the job. All in all it would a minimum of 3 weeks to get from final sign off to print and a lot can happen in 3 weeks. Thats not including the design time so i would think that its circa 4 weeks from creative is done until the leaflet is out to customers.

Im not sure what you expect them to do - wait until they have the offers and then start on the process of getting them advertised? If they were to do that they would have to hold onto stock for 4 weeks which would cost them a lot as most credit is 30 days and these bargains are based on a quick turnaround. I doubt they work off sale or return so that probably wouldn't affect them, but if they did that's another massive consideration. I do think that as soon as they know something is not running they should have a poster up stating this, but that's as far as they can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Pretty cryptic strategy by Lidl alright! :pac:

kitsb.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

alibabba wrote: »

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

jor el wrote: »
    It's not false advertising, they just couldn't get stock. They also can't do anything about the flyers, as these will have been printed and sent to the Newspaper distributor well in advance, long before they knew the stock wouldn't be available.

I think that is debatable in the case of Lidl.

When does it move from being just one of those things they couldn't source to being a regular ploy used to get people into stores? I think it goes a little beyond the realms of fair advertising.

Cabaal wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

noodler wrote: »

When does it move from being just one of those things they couldn't source to being a regular ploy used to get people into stores? I think it goes a little beyond the realms of fair advertising.

I shop regularly in LIDL. I have never noticed them fail to stock specials in which I have had an interest (although, of course, I don't pay much attention to specials that I am not interested in buying).

So, if we are going to debate it, I would say that LIDL generally live up to their promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I shop regularly in LIDL. I have never noticed them fail to stock specials in which I have had an interest (although, of course, I don't pay much attention to specials that I am not interested in buying).

So, if we are going to debate it, I would say that LIDL generally live up to their promises.

I don't see why you are happy to have them stock most of what they advertise on the cover of their little weekend leaflets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

CamperMan wrote: »
    it's a con to get you into the stores, the amount of times I have seen Lidl promoting a special offer maybe some electronic goods, I go down to several stores looking for these items and they are never in the stores, I ask the managers and they say either they sold out or the goods have not arrived in the stores.

Wow imagine they sell out of bargains!

Jasus this thread is going downhill fast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

That would be stupid of them to do as it would lose them customers in the long run. And if you go to Lidl and they don't have the bargain you went for, no one is there forcing you buy something else.

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Wow imagine they sell out of bargains!

Its crazy isn't it, who would have thought it...shocking stuff :eek::eek:

OP's also done a good job of dragging this thread further into the gutter

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I don't see why you are happy to have them stock most of what they advertise on the cover of their little weekend leaflets.

That's not what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

OP's also done a good job of dragging this thread further into the gutter

It's just a rant... and I thought his/her JPG post was quite funny.

People seem to get a bit wound up about nothing.

No harm done from where I'm sitting.

Advertisement