Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A lil Help Please! XP Continual Boot Loop

• 26-04-2010 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭

It's my own fault. I'll be the first to admit it. I didn't heed the "Stop Installation" warnings on installing a bandwidth monitor app (can't remember the name!), but just after clicking Ok for the third time the machine reboot. Got as far as my logon and then reboots again. It's doing this over and over.

I've tried the following
    • chkdsk /r/f (I know the f switch isn't really important, but I wanted to try it anyways!).
    • Replacing kernel32.dll (renaming the old. map. copying over from disk. )
    • Memtest (I know I know I think it was just for my own sanity I tried that!)

But still no joy. Has this happened to anyone else and is there a definite resolution? I can get in to my windows installation booting in to an Ubuntu Live CD, but I'm really loathe to reinstall xp. Cos it's a pain. Setting up everything. Again. Aw.

So any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh almost forgot a lil technical specs if you need em. XP SP3, 1.5GB RAM. 80GB HDD. I'd say the machine is about 6/7 years old at this stage!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭dun79

Hi chin_grin

Start your PC in safe mode (press F8 at startup).

When in safe mode uninstall the program you installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

dun79 wrote: »
    Hi chin_grin

Start your PC in safe mode (press F8 at startup).

When in safe mode uninstall the program you installed

If there was an emoticon for the "unbelievable facepalm" I'd need to use it! I think that's the only thing I didn't try! In work at the mo, so I'll do that when I get home. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

This is where it gets weirder.

Tried Last Known Good, didn't work.

Tried Safe Mode, that started rebooting even before the Windows loading screen.

So boot back in using Ubuntu Live CD. Searched and deleted every instance of that application (was some freeware bandwidth monitor yoke!).

Reinstated the original kernel32.dll. That is deleted the new one and just renamed the .old one to .dll. Rebooted and it worked!

Advertisement