Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent game review sites

Options
  • 26-04-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    as you all are bloody well aware, game reviews have gone to crap. Nearly every new release is 9.5/10 for the first few months which isn't very helpful to those of us who actually are going to fork out our shilling for them.

I'm hoping that we can pool our resources here and list decent game review sites that don't just spam us with inaccurate reviews. Maybe we can name & shame the worst also (for avoidance)?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Recommended so far:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really like www.giantbomb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

A little bit different but.....

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Great idea! I'm tired of reading the same formulaic blurb on the likes of Gamespot or IGN.

EDIT: I really really really miss Consolevania!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Easily_Irritated

Have a look at gameplanet.co.nz

I know it's an NZ site but most half decent games have world wide releases now anyway - the reviewers for this site are very knowledgeable and honest (which going by their forum often causes some very unhappy gaming companies)... it's the one I use :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You know, we could just do our own games reviews... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I mostly get my reviews from eurogamer and joystiq. Edge too, but I prefer that in paper form. Joystiq and kotaku both do round ups of reviews for bigger games, which is useful.

But, I'd say read the actual reviews, if you're bothered by most games getting too good a score. A lot of the bigger sites have reviews that read completely differently to the score they're given. You'd swear there was pressure on them from advertisers or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm a fan of www.gametrailers.com. I get to see the game in action and the reviews are usually spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Kharn wrote: »
    You know, we could just do our own games reviews... :)
    Absolutly! But...
    1) I'd rather read a review before buying a dud &
    2) We don't (I'd imagine) have the fincial backing to review every game!!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Yeah I'm getting kinda sick of IGN when it comes to game reviews. I mean they just hype up certain games so much (probably being paid by the developers to do so), and when it comes out, it just seems to be a total letdown. Also, every second game that comes out now gets like a 9/10 rating from IGN so what then you think OMG what am i gonna play now!

I'd usually go to IGN first and look at their review then just browse around various oither sites to see how the game got on in other places. And just use the average rating as my basis....seems to most logical way to do it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Generally Kotaku.

But most days I check out http://www.teletext.co.uk/GameCentral/Features-Reviews/default.aspx

Yeah its very behind the times (although they will be updating soon to have a proper back catalogue of reviews, the search function is pretty rubbish) but the reviews are always worth a read and they don't pander to the games companies, an average game will score an average 5/10 as it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Yeah I'm getting kinda sick of IGN when it comes to game reviews. I mean they just hype up certain games so much (probably being paid by the developers to do so), and when it comes out, it just seems to be a total letdown. Also, every second game that comes out now gets like a 9/10 rating from IGN so what then you think OMG what am i gonna play now!

I'd usually go to IGN first and look at their review then just browse around various oither sites to see how the game got on in other places. And just use the average rating as my basis....seems to most logical way to do it

Talk about hype! Game forum users usually do enough of that themselves.
    Anyway, I like Gamespot. The site's grand and not too cluttered. Though they do seem to usually give positive reviews to big game releases. I watched their Splinter Cell Conviction video and without seeing what score it got you'd think the review was supposed to be a negative one as it essentially says "this ain't the stealth game it used to be but it's at least fun to shoot people in the head and the 2player is pretty good".

(they gave Splinter Cell an "8" in the end anyway)
    IGN gave it 9.3

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Rock Paper Shotgun? It's more of a PC games news site but they also do regular reviews of new and old releases. The guys who contribute to it also write/wrote for Eurogamer and PC Gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'm a huge fan of GameTrailers; since they slickly package a coherent informational ~7 minute video in an entertaining fashion. They review every aspect of the game and their english is varied and interesting. Not to mention that they have the voices that are soft on the ears... They take a day or two longer than IGN but are more than double the quality.

IGN barely scratch the surface and is really just a trailer, pimping their written review. Their reviews are read by monotonous robots who bore the arse off me.

You get the best idea of a videogame by seeing it in action; where the video expounds on the point being made (i.e. GameTrailers)....I'd much, much rather video than reading reams on text.

I'd pimp ScrewAttack, but their Videogame Reviews are sh!te.

Advertisement